2023 Draft

THE DUKE

Thre are plenty of veterans available still who will be cheap, at least on a 1 year deal. So we can fill some depth needs before the draft. I don't see Mixon on the roster but they don't have to cut him until the fall. He has no trade value, the only risk is he gets hurt in camp and collects his checks all year on IR.

We should be able to find a trade partner for Jonah and I'd make a deal before the draft. If we miss on an OT in rounds 1 and 2, we'd still have Collins, Carman, and Ford. 

We probably do need to draft a LB. It's not only Wilson but also ADG and Bailey who are going into the last year of their rookie deals. A new LB could bump Bachie off the roster. 

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We probably do need to draft a LB. It's not only Wilson but also ADG and Bailey who are going into the last year of their rookie deals. A new LB could bump Bachie off the roster. 

I think they look to re-sign ADG next year with a moderate raise.  Odds are they can retain one or both of Bachie and Bailey at or near the vet minimum.  Look to add a LB as a rook when you need to fill out the room, not the year before.  Now, if we end up with more picks, then maybe look there, but I think LB is very low on the list of needs, especially if we end up with no more than 7 picks.

25 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

After watching Joe Goodberry's most recent Bengals on the Brain, I must say I am liking the idea of Emmanuel Forbes at 28.

Yeah, i'm on board if we go that way.  Elite ball skills at DB, elite athlete.  Checks every box except weight, but even then he was a solid run defender and tackler on the edge in college.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, i'm on board if we go that way.  Elite ball skills at DB, elite athlete.  Checks every box except weight, but even then he was a solid run defender and tackler on the edge in college.

I still think the weight thing ends up being a non-issue after a year of NFL nutrition.  He'll end up bigger than Mike Hilton, and that dude has no problem tackling bigger guys.

32 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Forbes isn't known for his run defense. He tries but just isn't very physical. So he's better than Deion Sanders but no Antoine Winfield. 

I'll not claim to be an expert, but every clip of him i've seen i've been impressed with his physicality.  Mass is only half the equation for force, after all 🤣.  We must be seeing two totally different sets of film.  I think his tackling is fine, especially given his strengths are such plusses. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, theJ said:

I still think the weight thing ends up being a non-issue after a year of NFL nutrition.  He'll end up bigger than Mike Hilton, and that dude has no problem tackling bigger guys.

I'll not claim to be an expert, but every clip of him i've seen i've been impressed with his physicality.  Mass is only half the equation for force, after all 🤣.  We must be seeing two totally different sets of film.  I think his tackling is fine, especially given his strengths are such plusses. 

I think it was Goodberry who said he's only like 7-8 pounds less than Hilton right now.

If you believe his school's listed weight Forbes has been losing rather than gaining weight since the season ended. Saying he'll gain weight and strength in the NFL is foolish since he's been in an SEC weight and conditioning program for several years. He's just skinny. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Saying he'll gain weight and strength in the NFL is foolish since he's been in an SEC weight and conditioning program for several years. He's just skinny.

Talk about foolish…

1.) He’s only 22.

2.) NFL weight room and nutrition doesn’t compare to college, SEC or not. 

3.) He has the frame/wingspan to add weight.

4.) Even if he plays at 175, he doesn’t play like it, so it doesn’t matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If you believe his school's listed weight Forbes has been losing rather than gaining weight since the season ended. Saying he'll gain weight and strength in the NFL is foolish since he's been in an SEC weight and conditioning program for several years. He's just skinny. 

You're assuming they asked him to gain weight in college.  Playing at that weight in college isn't a deal breaker (and isn't in the NFL either necessarily, but it'd be nice if he were 20 lbs heavier).  I wouldn't even necessarily assume the Bengals will ask him to gain weight.  Probably they will, but who really knows.

Also, yeah, what @SmittyBacall said.  I'm sure some colleges do a good job of it, but it just doesn't compare to an NFL program.  It's much more closely managed at this level.

• Like 1

I'm watching Joe Goodberry and Jake Liskow on Twitch watching Jahmyr Gibbs film.  I think i'm out on Gibbs at 28, not that he was ever one of my favorites there, but I don't think he is value as a rd 1 pick.  He's not bad, he's very athletic, but i'm not seeing the dynamic plays I want from a rd 1 RB.  Some other things I noticed from this:

• Bryce Young still doesn't look like a clear cut #1 like some on this site say.
  • Cameron Latu looks better than I expected at TE.  Maybe a 131 option if we wait on TE.
  • Tyler Steen has looked good in these games (Texas and Auburn), I think he could be a good mid round versatile lineman
  • Moro Ojomo (DT for Texas) definitely flashed against Bama

18 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Talk about foolish…

1.) He’s only 22.

2.) NFL weight room and nutrition doesn’t compare to college, SEC or not. 

3.) He has the frame/wingspan to add weight.

4.) Even if he plays at 175, he doesn’t play like it, so it doesn’t matter.

22 isn't especially young for a draft prospect

NFL players certainly have resources available to them but aren't under their coach's control as much as college players. 

Yes, he has the length to add weight. But apparently doesn't want to. Thus he's skinny.

If he gained 10 pounds he'd still be the lightest CB in the NFL. If he gained 20 pounds, he'd still be well below average weight.  For the same reasons people have durability concerns about Bryce Young at 200 lbs, they should worry about Forbes. Teams with big backs will just run at him frequently and he may make the tackle the first time but the odds aren't in his favor. 

22 isn't especially young for a draft prospect

It isn’t especially old, either.

NFL players certainly have resources available to them but aren't under their coach's control as much as college players.

How so? And the nutrition isn’t even close. 

Yes, he has the length to add weight. But apparently doesn't want to. Thus he's skinny.

“Doesn’t want to” and “has struggled to” is two completely different things. 

If he gained 10 pounds he'd still be the lightest CB in the NFL. If he gained 20 pounds, he'd still be well below average weight.  For the same reasons people have durability concerns about Bryce Young at 200 lbs, they should worry about Forbes. Teams with big backs will just run at him frequently and he may make the tackle the first time but the odds aren't in his favor. 

Do you feel the same about a miniature Mike Hilton tackling Derrick Henry for a loss multiple times a game?

Are you actually unaware that bigtime college football programs have bigger staffs than NFL teams? They have plenty of dieticians and nutritionists. 

If Forbes wanted to gain weight, he had ample opportunity to do so. 

Mike Hilton is 17 lbs bigger than Forbes (and 4 inches shorter). He's much more solidly built. 

And Hilton had 0 tackles for loss in the 2021 playoffs. Stop making stuff up. 

11 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Are you actually unaware that bigtime college football programs have bigger staffs than NFL teams? They have plenty of dieticians and nutritionists. 

They've got a lot more players too.

I think the point is that players aren't in the building as much as they are in the NFL.  NFL players are there for a full day, eat several meals there, and can be much more invested in nutrition as it's their job.  

TBH this whole conversion is a bit ridiculous.  If the Bengals are interested in Forbes, they will have talked to him about his weight.  If they're comfortable with his dedication to get it up, that won't be a barrier.  It's not information we have access to.  And again, he has the frame to take the weight, so if he wants to put it on, he can do it easily.  

• Like 1