2023 Draft

THE DUKE

I like Jones as a long term right tackle, but I don't expect him to be good enough to start for a super bowl contender or to be better than Collins or Williams next season. So I'd be comfortable grabbing him in the late second but I don't think it does much for us in 2023, so I think the first round is early for that pick. 

22 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

It's the day before the draft and I don't have much of a hold on what is actually going to happen. For the most part, we're looking at positional needs going into the 2024 season. Tight end and offensive tackle could use a definite starter. But I'm not convinced the right guy will be there at 28 for either of those positions.

At tackle, I expect the top 4 to be gone and I think it's just too early for Dawand Jones. I'm also not convinced that there's anyone else at that position to bring in this season that would be a long term player. So it's either reach on Jones in the first, see if he falls to the second, or skip the position all together and go into the season with some combination of La'el Collins, Williams and Cody Ford at right tackle. 

Tight end is a possibility, but I consistently see Mayer and Kincaid gone, I don't think drafting the third best tight end is great value especially when the position is so deep and the offense they run here isn't really TE heavy anyway.

Gibbs? Eh, I don't love that at all. First round running back just seems like a poor use of assets.

So corner makes sense. The third boundary corner is empty currently, plus Chido is an FA next year. Probably just a matter of the right value there. 

Also defensive tackle is in a similar position with Reader a FA soon. Could see a Mazi Smith selection. But we're way down the needs list at this point, so it almost feels like this is 100% BPA. Plus the pending Higgins extension never got done, so maybe wide receiver is possible? 

Just a snapshot into the indecision that has made me so unproductive at work this week.

I'm getting the sense it's going to be a CB, DL or maybe a IOL (but that last one seems a long shot).  I haven't gotten the feeling they like any of the OT's enough at 28, but who knows.  Smoke screens galore.  

I could also see a RB or TE, but i'm hoping against hope that isn't the pick.  The value for either position is just not there in the first.  It'll just end up being a waste of a valuable asset IMO.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I'm getting the sense it's going to be a CB, DL or maybe a IOL (but that last one seems a long shot).  I haven't gotten the feeling they like any of the OT's enough at 28, but who knows.  Smoke screens galore.  

I could also see a RB or TE, but i'm hoping against hope that isn't the pick.  The value for either position is just not there in the first.  It'll just end up being a waste of a valuable asset IMO.

There are definitely really good players in the first at running back and tight end, but there are also really good players at those positions in the later rounds. Value says wait to me.  Tackle value runs out early and getting an impact player at corner or on the defensive line makes more sense I think. 

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one super worried about interior offensive line, like I'd absolutely consider an elite center at 28 if there were one, but there isn't. I've definitely run several mocks that had guys like John Michael Schmitz and Joe Tippmann in the second though.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

There are definitely really good players in the first at running back and tight end, but there are also really good players at those positions in the later rounds. Value says wait to me.  Tackle value runs out early and getting an impact player at corner or on the defensive line makes more sense I think. 

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one super worried about interior offensive line, like I'd absolutely consider an elite center at 28 if there were one, but there isn't. I've definitely run several mocks that had guys like John Michael Schmitz and Joe Tippmann in the second though.

i'm not against IOL either - i think those players can be impactful.  Moreso than TE or RB.  But yeah, not many players available at 28 from what i've seen. 

I don't want an RB in round 1. I could live with Robinson but don't think he'll make it to 28. There are rumors the team likes Gibbs but Achane gives you about as much and will be available a round later. IMO we should be looking for new starters at TE, RB, and RT. We're fine with the starters at IOL but should upgrade the backups. We don't need a D-lineman at all, let alone at 28 and probably not a LB until day 3. We could always use depth at CB, especially with Apple and Flowers unsigned. 

IMO the value play is Wright or one of the Joneses at pick 28. That would free up a lot of cap space if we can move on from Jonah and Lael. We know either of those guys can't handle Garrett or Watt and I doubt any of the 3 I listed is worse on week 1. Let's also draft a 2 way TE who can block as well as catch. Take the RB in round 3 or 4 and we're in good shape. 

We can use an improved pass rush. And Reader is entering his final season with absolutely nothing behind him. Defensive line is definitely something that you can look at if it's going to be best value. We have depth there, so I'm not really worried about day three picks there.

Sure we could use an improved pass rush. Every team could but we're paying each of our starters $10mil+ so unless the team is thinking about dumping one of them, they aren't going to the bench. A new D-lineman would be competing with Tufele at DT or Gunter/Basham at DE for the last roster spot. If we draft a DT, they can help BJ Hill stay fresher or a DE can join the rotation ahead of Cam Sample. But that's not worth pick 28. 

Take a Karl Brooks or Jalen Redmond on day 3. 

51 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Everyone else fell asleep early too?🤣 I saw Murphy as a viable option, but didn't think it would happen. The pass rush was pretty bad at times last year, so this should be a boost fur sure.

I certainly wasn't staying up when i can go to bed and get the answer in 30 seconds in the morning lol.

I have some concerns with Murphy.  Notably that he has all the measurables, but really poor productivity measures the last few years.  We can only hope it was a scheme issue (and it appears there were some) and not an issue of the player itself.  

I'm curious how they'll get him on the field.  Is he going to come in and play 3-tech on 3rd downs only?  Get a few snaps at DE taking Hubbard/Hendrickson off the field on 3rd downs?  They've got Hendrickson, and then a log-jam of mildly unproductive pass rushers that they really like and who will have to come off the field for their new toy.

My big board for 60

1. Darnell Washington (supposedly may be slipping some because of medicals on his back)
  2. Dawand Jones
  3. Luke Musgrave
  4. Julius Brents
  5. Matt LaPorta
  6. DJ Turner
  7. Rashee Rice
  8. Darius Rush
  9. Israel Abanikanda
  10. Tucker Kraft
  11. Drew Sanders
  12. Zach Charbonet

Guys I didn't include because I think they'll be long gone

• Michael Mayer
  • Ade Adebawore
  • Cam Smith
  • John Michael Schmitz
  • Joe Tippman
  • Steve Avila

Guys I didn't include because we just took a DL

• Isaiah Foskey
  • Derick Hall
  • Tuli Tuipulotu
  • Keanu Benton
  • Keion White

I think I am pulling for Dawand Jones. It would allow us to move on from Williams or Collins without relying on Ford. He's also the last tackle in this draft I view as likely to be startable at some point this season. I don't think I'd draft anyone else, since I don't think it would be an asset for this season and we already have bodies.

I'd also be happy to draft Mayer, but much like the first round, I assume we'll get a TE eventually so I'm in no rush. 

Interior offensive lineman to back up center and perhaps push Volson out of the starting lineup? I'm into that.

Hopefully we don't get Charbonet. He doesn't have enough explosion for me to be excited about him.

• Like 1