2023 Draft

THE DUKE

They'll probably carry 9 O-linemen on the 53. Adeniji is also going into the final year of his rookie contract.

I agree they shouldn't carry both Jonah and Lael this season. Ideally, they find a trade partner for Jonah for a midround pick and recoup a bunch of cap space. If Collins starts the year on PUP, I think Carman can provide adequate cover. If Jonah isn't traded, then Lael should be traded if possible or simply released to gain the cap space for extensions and injury replacements during the season. But in any event, they will probably only carry 4 tackles plus 3 interior line starters and 2 backups. Brown and Carman are roster locks, along with the Jonah/Collins winner. It wouldn't be hard to bump Adeniji off the roster but they may not use a high draft pick at the position with starters needed at other positions.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Pulling some percentages out of my ***, i'd say the odds for pick 28 are

• DT - 50%
  • TE - 25%
  • CB - 15%
  • OT - 5%
  • Edge - 4%
  • S - 1%

I wouldn’t put OT odds that low. This team likes to plan 1 year ahead of FA, we need a long term solution at RT with Jonah likely on the outs.

Draft a Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright, have them get reps as the swing, and play them in 2024. Also provides depth is injuries hit us again.

Also, aside from Kancey, who is a DT worth taking at 28?

48 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

They'll probably carry 9 O-linemen on the 53. Adeniji is also going into the final year of his rookie contract.

I agree they shouldn't carry both Jonah and Lael this season. Ideally, they find a trade partner for Jonah for a midround pick and recoup a bunch of cap space. If Collins starts the year on PUP, I think Carman can provide adequate cover. If Jonah isn't traded, then Lael should be traded if possible or simply released to gain the cap space for extensions and injury replacements during the season. But in any event, they will probably only carry 4 tackles plus 3 interior line starters and 2 backups. Brown and Carman are roster locks, along with the Jonah/Collins winner. It wouldn't be hard to bump Adeniji off the roster but they may not use a high draft pick at the position with starters needed at other positions.

I agree with all that.  It'll depend on what is available at 28.  I am not opposed to using that pick for an OT.  It'd be nice to have a long term answer at RT, because they have nothing for 2024 currently.  And I wouldn't rule out a pick at 28 beating out Jonah/AC at RT.

My guess is they liked what they saw from Carman in the playoffs and hope the light has gone on for him. He's going into year 3 so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the backup RT and potential successor to Williams or Collins. If they feel that way, then they don't need to draft a tackle at all, with Adeniji backing up Brown and Carman backing up Williams/Collins. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

My guess is they liked what they saw from Carman in the playoffs and hope the light has gone on for him. He's going into year 3 so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the backup RT and potential successor to Williams or Collins. If they feel that way, then they don't need to draft a tackle at all, with Adeniji backing up Brown and Carman backing up Williams/Collins. 

We need to upgrade OT4 from Adeniji, we all saw what happened in the AFCCG.

Edited by THE DUKE

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I wouldn’t put OT odds that low. This team likes to plan 1 year ahead of FA, we need a long term solution at RT with Jonah likely on the outs.

Draft a Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright, have them get reps as the swing, and play them in 2024. Also provides depth is injuries hit us again.

I think there's a decent chance Breese is there too

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Malik Wright seems to think it’s DL or TE. Nolan Smith perhaps?

Nolan Smith is a small 3-4 OLB or possibly a SAM in the mold of Micha Parsons, but not as skilled.

I'm just not sure if they value the TE position enough to take one in rd 1.  Yearly reclamation projects seem to be doing the trick.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I think the last decade proves otherwise. If we sign a Gesicki-type on a 1-year deal and TE is the BPA I don’t think they hesitate. 

Since Eifert a decade ago, the highest pick we have there is Sample, which totally blew up in their face.  If they stay at 28, I just think they use that fifth year option on a more premium position.  If there isn't a OT/CB/Pass Rusher they like or have rated highly, no solid trade back offer, and there is a TE they really like, then maybe I can see them pull the trigger on a TE at 28.  The last 9 first round picks have been:

1. CB
  2. OT
  3. CB
  4. WR
  5. C
  6. OT
  7. QB
  8. WR
  9. S

To be fair, I think I said something similar about S last year, but I also think they had Dax as a top 15 talent in the draft (I did) so that may have been the exception.  Maybe they see Mayer or Washington as a top 15 guy in this draft.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

We need to upgrade OT4 from Adeniji, we all saw what happened in the AFCCG.

Brown, Carman, Williams, Collins let's not mess around with Adeneji or Prince. Keep Collins unless we need the cap space for something or draft a OT we can count on.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Mazi Smith, but probably after slipping back in the second.