2023 Draft

THE DUKE

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

If he wants to pout and ruin his ability to sign a bigger contract in 2024, cool.

I agree, and Mike Brown will out stubborn any athlete alive, but if we can get a third for him, pull the trigger.  It'd open up $12.5 million to use on a player, or on extensions if it happens too late.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I agree, and Mike Brown will out stubborn any athlete alive, but if we can get a third for him, pull the trigger.  It'd open up $12.5 million to use on a player, or on extensions if it happens too late.

Probably the ideal scenario is a player for player trade, and use that money to extend the guy they get.  Idk who that might be, but someone at a non-premier position like TE or S might be a good target.

If we can trade Jonah, we should. It frees up 12.604 mil in cap space and the pick or player we get in return is a bonus. We should give his agent permission to talk to other teams about a trade and possible contract extension. 

In the mock, after drafting Paris Johnson, I traded Jonah to the Commanders while paying 3.604 mil of his salary. Got a 5th rounder and would have traded him for less. IRL, I think the Bengals can get more than a 5th for him. 

16 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Brown, Carman, Williams, Collins let's not mess around with Adeneji or Prince. Keep Collins unless we need the cap space for something or draft a OT we can count on.

Hey, don't disrespect Cody Ford and D'Ante Smith like that 😊

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If we can trade Jonah, we should. It frees up 12.604 mil in cap space and the pick or player we get in return is a bonus. We should give his agent permission to talk to other teams about a trade and possible contract extension. 

In the mock, after drafting Paris Johnson, I traded Jonah to the Commanders while paying 3.604 mil of his salary. Got a 5th rounder and would have traded him for less. IRL, I think the Bengals can get more than a 5th for him. 

The issue is that Jonah is the best option for RT on the roster.  Resigning yourself to the trade just means you have another hole to fill in FA before the draft.

Personally i'd rather he stays.  A 4th/5th rounder is a nothing burger.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Hey, don't disrespect Cody Ford and D'Ante Smith like that 😊

To be fair, I was assuming Ford would be a backup guard, but it sounds like he's getting a real shot at playing right tackle. I'll reserve an opinion on him until I see him in our lineup.

Smith got passed over by Prince, Adeneji and Carman. The last two after moving back from guard. I don't think he's someone to count on.

8 hours ago, theJ said:

The issue is that Jonah is the best option for RT on the roster.  Resigning yourself to the trade just means you have another hole to fill in FA before the draft.

I don't mind getting a 4th or 5th, but I agree with you, I hope we keep him and he plays well. I also don't think that any team trading for him is going to be promising him a job and extending him. If he was that kind of player, we would have extended him already.

9 hours ago, theJ said:

Agreed, but that 12.6 mill could just as easily be turned into part of zTee's bonus.  For the short term, I want to keep Jonah.  Long term, it's best to move him.

And all it would mean is that OT is still in play at #28

40 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Early 4th is the latest pick id trade him for, otherwise tell him suck it up buttercup, you're playing RT

I think I'd rather use him to pick swap, maybe in the second.  Or him and our third for a high second.  Something along those lines.

The main benefit to trading Jonah is the 12.6 mil of cap space (or less if the Bengals absorb some before trading him). If we get a midround pick for him, that's all right, whoever that guy is should make the 53 and at least contribute on special teams. 

As for the RT situation in Jonah's absence, Collins will eventually return if he's not ready for game 1. I'd give Carman the first shot as interim starter and if he plays well, he can keep the job when Lael is healthy. If Carman struggles, Ford or Adeniji would be options though I wouldn't expect much from them. And of course we could take a RT early in the draft and release Collins for another 6 mil of cap space. Trading Williams and cutting Collins would free up about 19 mil of cap space and pretty much pay for a Higgins extension for a couple of years. Burrow's extension is already in the budget. Or they could go for a higher priced TE option in Schultz vs Moreau. 

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The main benefit to trading Jonah is the 12.6 mil of cap space (or less if the Bengals absorb some before trading him). If we get a midround pick for him, that's all right, whoever that guy is should make the 53 and at least contribute on special teams. 

As for the RT situation in Jonah's absence, Collins will eventually return if he's not ready for game 1. I'd give Carman the first shot as interim starter and if he plays well, he can keep the job when Lael is healthy. If Carman struggles, Ford or Adeniji would be options though I wouldn't expect much from them. And of course we could take a RT early in the draft and release Collins for another 6 mil of cap space. Trading Williams and cutting Collins would free up about 19 mil of cap space and pretty much pay for a Higgins extension for a couple of years. Burrow's extension is already in the budget. Or they could go for a higher priced TE option in Schultz vs Moreau. 

12.6M in cap savings isn't going to play RT lol.  And neither is Collins this year.  He has the feel of a guy who won't be ready until mid season, the way he's been talked about.  

I like the cap savings, but they need to do something with it.  And there aren't many RT's out there that can really play.  

Whatever anyone's plan is regarding Jonah, that plan has to include a valid replacement at RT.  Because you should all know the Bengals aren't moving on from him with the plan being Carman/Adeniji/Ford (also know LC isn't the plan, because of the injury).  They're all failed/injured players.