2023 Draft

THE DUKE

I don't expect Collins to be ready to go for week 1. It wouldn't be surprising if he started the season on PUP and missed at least 6 weeks. If he hadn't torn his ACL, I think the team wouldn't be looking to replace him. Since he did, it's at least possible the team moves on, wanting a more durable solution. So RT is very much a possibility at picks 28 and 60. I'd think the first 4 picks include a RT, a CB, a TE, and a RB in whatever order. 

A lot will depend on the team's view of Carman. He played well in the playoffs though more so vs Buffalo. He may embrace the idea of moving to the RT position and getting first shot at the job with Collins out. If we re-sign Apple and Flowers and add a vet TE, then RT makes more sense at 28. You can't give Burrow too much protection. 

• CIN
    Dawand Jones
    OT Ohio State
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Zach Charbonnet
    RB UCLA

• CIN
    Tyrique Stevenson
    CB Miami (FL)
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Myles Brooks
    CB Louisiana Tech

• CIN
    Luke Schoonmaker
    TE Michigan

• CIN
    Josh Whyle
    TE Cincinnati

• CIN
    Karl Brooks
    DT Bowling Green
I always say I'm not doing trades, then I do trades. I like how this turned out.

Mock draft Monday super trade edition.  Messed with the sliders to make it different than the normal fare, more randomness, less needs based drafting, more on the PFF board than the Public board.  I didn't go in with the plan of trading this much, just found myself not liking the options 79-100

Traded 28 to Indianapolis for 35, 79, and 138
35. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
60. Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa
Traded 79 and 206 to Chargers for 85, 125, and 156
Traded 85 and 163 to Cleveland for 98, 111, and 126
92. Tyjae Spears, RB, Tu;ane
98. Parker Washington, WR, Penn State
111. Kobie Turner, 3T, Wake Forest
125. Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland
126. Yaya Diaby, Edge, Louisville
131. Zack Kuntz, TE, Old Dominion
138. Olusegun Oluwatimi, C, Michigan
156. Ronnie Bell, WR, Michigan
246. Bryce Barringer, P, Michigan State

I actually really like this.  Harrison steps in day one at RT. LaPorta starts at TE, or is TE2 for a year if we sign a guy like Moreau and we can do a lot more 12 personnel and can use LaPorta like a H back. Spears steps into that Bernard 3D back role but has some juice to run the ball as well.  Washington and Bell are mentoring behind a Boyd for a year and in 2024 WR3 and WR4 will be set.  Turner adds competition for rotational pass rusher at 3T.  Bennett is a developmental CB that can be CB4 or 5 this year if we resign Apple who could be a starter in the future.  Diaby gives more athletic edge depth at DE4.  Kuntz is a big time athelte with little proven who can develop as a long term TE project with upside.  Oluwatimi pushes Trey for the backup C spot with hopefully more upside.  Barringer takes over the P spot from No Hang Time Chrisman.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Ok with the picks, just don't see any of the last three falling that far.

There's always some players like that. I really think there are going to be quality TE values on day 3, just due to how many of them look like legit NFL players. As for Brooks, he didn't get invited to the combine. He probably should have been, but he's a smaller guy from a smaller school. He may go a lot earlier, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's available.

Duke, I don't remember where I saw you post about Stetson Bennett, but I'd be up for Stetson Bennett.  Dude has started just about every season off as the backup, yet remains ready for his chance.  He has the right mindset for a backup, plus he rallies the troops well, and provides way more than Brandan Allen at this point.

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Duke, I don't remember where I saw you post about Stetson Bennett, but I'd be up for Stetson Bennett.  Dude has started just about every season off as the backup, yet remains ready for his chance.  He has the right mindset for a backup, plus he rallies the troops well, and provides way more than Brandan Allen at this point.

Great college QB, I don't think his game translates to the NFL.  Sub 6 foot, 192 lbs, average at best arm strength.  I'm not going to be mad or anything if something like that happened, but I would rather take a swing on a better athlete that late in the draft.

I drafted Bennett at the end of the 5th round in the TCMD mock offseason. Didn't make Brandon Allen an offer, went with Blaine Gabbert as the backup and drafted Bennett to compete with Browning or Jeff Driskel for the QB3 spot on the practice squad.

Bennett has good athleticism and leadership skills. He's as viable an NFL prospect as AJ McCarron, who lasted several years in the league.

PFF Mock with Jonah Williams trade

Bengals trade OT Jonah Williams and pick 163 to the Bears for picks 64 and 148
28. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
60. Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa
Bengals trade pick 64 to Atlanta for picks 75 and 110
75. Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane
92. Moro Ojomo, DT, Texas
110. Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
131. Yaya Diaby, Edge, Louisville
148. Ronnie Bell, WR, Michigan
206. Cameron Brown, CB, Ohio State
246. Bryce Barringer, P, Michigan State

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

End of the 1st round is about where the 5-6 ranked OT's go.

LaPorta is probably the best TE after the catch in this draft.  More capable as a blocker than Musgrave or Kincaid as well.

I would rather trade back 10-15 spots and take LaPorta rather than sit at 28 and take Mayer.

Then you won't like this PFN mock I just did, lol

team logo
pfn-logo-black
  • CIN
    Michael Mayer
    TE Notre Dame

• CIN
    Kyu Blu Kelly
    CB Stanford
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB Pittsburgh

• CIN
    Wanya Morris
    OT Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Ronnie Bell
    WR Michigan

• CIN
    Colby Wooden
    DT Auburn
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Deuce Vaughn
    RB Kansas State
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Cameron Mitchell
    CB Northwestern
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Dorian Thompson-Robinson
    QB UCLA
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Anthony Bradford
    OG LSU

• CIN
    Oscar Chapman
    P Auburn

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Not a fan of that. Getting Tyjae Spears in round 3 would be nice but taking the 6th best tackle at 28 seems unwarranted. LaPorta is just a guy. We need a CB earlier than round 6. 

We took Tee as the 5th/6th WR at pick 33?  So that was a horrible idea too?  Only five picks later...................