Chiefs Vs Bills

Chiefs_5627

4 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

By now I expect a major shakeup on the offensive coaching staff after the season.

Why? Reid still runs the offense and he's not giving up anything. I don't see any changes because Andy can't play the Turk out of loyalty to those who work for him.

Our Defense blew up in the Colts PO game and Sutton is still here.  Sutton has had years to get it right and we're still in the bottom tird of the NFL.

4 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Why? Reid still runs the offense and he's not giving up anything. I don't see any changes because Andy can't play the Turk out of loyalty to those who work for him.

Our Defense blew up in the Colts PO game and Sutton is still here.  Sutton has had years to get it right and we're still in the bottom tird of the NFL.

In yards. Not points.

5 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

I'm really happy now that I don't have a chance to watch the games this year spending gametime on a train or plane doing my weekly commute ...

I just need to look a ONE stat: Butker had one FG attempt. That tells me they didn't get any closer than to the 35 yard more than twice - the TD and the FG. That stat alone is the epitome of offensive incompetence.

Add Hunt's performance (11 runs, 17 yards) and you know something is wrong BIG time.

By now I expect a major shakeup on the offensive coaching staff after the season.

Honestly, the big thing I fault the coaching staff for right now is not pulling Smith. WR are getting open and the OL is blocking. Our QB is creating pressure in the pocket by seeing ghosts, scrambling into pressure and not throwing the ball vertically. Defenses will continue to sell out to stop Hunt until our QB can make them play honest.

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Honestly, the big thing I fault the coaching staff for right now is not pulling Smith. WR are getting open and the OL is blocking. Our QB is creating pressure in the pocket by seeing ghosts, scrambling into pressure and not throwing the ball vertically. Defenses will continue to sell out to stop Hunt until our QB can make them play honest.

100% this.

13 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

In yards. Not points.

You still would rather "nit pick" than agree with the basic premise. This tells me you're fine with Sutton which I find highly illogical. How about instead we get to be top 10 in yards AND points? This means replacing Sutton at minimum.

6 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

You still would rather "nit pick" than agree with the basic premise. This tells me you're fine with Sutton which I find highly illogical. How about instead we get to be top 10 in yards AND points? This means replacing Sutton at minimum.

Replace him with who?

Agree. But don't forget it's Reid who OK's the plays and right now we're not throwing enough vertically. It's all end sweep left or right and Hunt gets chopped by a stacked box. Or another Reid fav - WR screens. Reid wants to stretch the field horizontally too much. Smith throws 10 yards left or right and completes for 2 yd. gain. Huh? The idea is to gain yards vertically and score, Duh.

Reid is stuck in a mindset. Reid must make vertical attacks succeed to make his "horizontal" plays succeed. Hunt won't succeed until the passing attack succeeds. Quite elementary really.

Andy is gonna keep playing Alex and try to revitalize him the last several games to give Alex more value in trade off-season.  Frankly, not real sure how much better anyone would be with the play of the O line, except that Patrick is more "gun slinger" wired than Alex.  We ALL know, it starts in the trenches.

31 minutes ago, jimmydee said:

Andy is gonna keep playing Alex and try to revitalize him the last several games to give Alex more value in trade off-season.  Frankly, not real sure how much better anyone would be with the play of the O line, except that Patrick is more "gun slinger" wired than Alex.  We ALL know, it starts in the trenches.

The Oline played well early. 5-0 says they're capable. So what's changed?

I watched Schwartz block on a pass play.  He stopped his man as if Alex was taking a 3-step dropback. But Alex dropped back 5 steps. The angle to the QB changed so Schwartz's man went around Schwartz right into the QB. The Oline has to know what Smith is doing. 3step or 5step dropback? The Oline will block acccrodingly. Somebody is dropping that "communication" ball. Is it Alex's fault? The Oline's fault?

So that's one thing that's got to improve.

When the Steelers put cover 2 on us and was successful, everybody else did the same...or hybrid versions of cover 2.  Until Reid gets over his Cov.2 phobia, and gets vertical, nothing is changing.  Period.  I wish I could agree that it is more convoluted and involved, but it simply is NOT. The OL has not adjusted to Def. linemen's angles, and Alex is doing what Alex does best...check it down QUICK.  He had two throws in Sunday's game where he had time to step up into the pocket and make a throw without folks in his grill. Please...I'm not a big Alex fan, but it ALL starts with the guys up front...both sides of the ball.  FACT:  When you def. allows less than 20, you should win. Face it fans...the chiefs are Cupcake SOFT!!  I watched Raider D backs lighting folks up all day....I saw our d backs get to the ball and shy away.  Come on Man!  21 gets to a receiver in the grasp of another Chief and backs off, not finishing him off.  The WR spun and fell forward for a first down. SOFT......nobody wraps and tackles. Nobody in our secondary, with the possible exception of Sorensen, likes or looks for contact. Everybody wants to 'block' the guy down. Compared to Peters, Dion Sanders was a tackling machine. Face it ...we suck!!

6 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Agree. But don't forget it's Reid who OK's the plays and right now we're not throwing enough vertically. It's all end sweep left or right and Hunt gets chopped by a stacked box. Or another Reid fav - WR screens. Reid wants to stretch the field horizontally too much. Smith throws 10 yards left or right and completes for 2 yd. gain. Huh? The idea is to gain yards vertically and score, Duh.

Reid is stuck in a mindset. Reid must make vertical attacks succeed to make his "horizontal" plays succeed. Hunt won't succeed until the passing attack succeeds. Quite elementary really.

That's the key word there. It isn't about the plays, it's what Alex is actually doing with them. We're calling the pass plays to counter zones. They're just not getting thrown right. I'm pretty sure every single one of us saw Kelce wide open in the red zone. He was breaking open when Smith threw the INT as well. The long play we had to Demetrius Harris was the one time that Alex pulled the trigger on the many (and I mean many) plays we ran to attack zone defenses downfield or in the gap between the shallow zones and the deep zones. We ran the plays necessary. Guys got open. Smith just isn't throwing it. Smith being unwilling or unable to throw those passes then lead to the one read plays we get so many of. Screens, slants, one read route combos, etc.

Additionally, the reason we go horizontal so much in the run game is that you can't really run straight ahead when you're outnumbered there. Teams are selling out against the run because of Smith's ineptitude recently, and a dive just doesn't work with 6 blockers against 7 in the box. Misdirection gives the chance of deception, and attempts at open field runs at least give Hunt room to break some tackles or ankles.

15 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

That's the key word there. It isn't about the plays, it's what Alex is actually doing with them. We're calling the pass plays to counter zones. They're just not getting thrown right. I'm pretty sure every single one of us saw Kelce wide open in the red zone. He was breaking open when Smith threw the INT as well. The long play we had to Demetrius Harris was the one time that Alex pulled the trigger on the many (and I mean many) plays we ran to attack zone defenses downfield or in the gap between the shallow zones and the deep zones. We ran the plays necessary. Guys got open. Smith just isn't throwing it. Smith being unwilling or unable to throw those passes then lead to the one read plays we get so many of. Screens, slants, one read route combos, etc.

Additionally, the reason we go horizontal so much in the run game is that you can't really run straight ahead when you're outnumbered there. Teams are selling out against the run because of Smith's ineptitude recently, and a dive just doesn't work with 6 blockers against 7 in the box. Misdirection gives the chance of deception, and attempts at open field runs at least give Hunt room to break some tackles or ankles.

So many truths in one post...

Archived