Watching QB movement from team to team...

vike daddy

These quarterbacks (Smith, Jones, Carr, Garappolo)— players who have more to prove before they can be considered franchise starters — have substantially impacted the market at the position for those with less to prove and more to guarantee any prospective employer.

This will make it difficult for teams to pursue a strategy of building around a manageable contract at quarterback and crafting an elite team around them. A bog-standard starter is now going to take up 18 percent of the cap. With another nine percent taken up by the 20 or so players at or near the veteran minimum, that means about 70 percent of the cap can be devoted to impact starters.

A decade ago, this middle-class quarterback market wasn’t quite as robust. The non-franchise, non-elite quarterback value was worth less than half as much, while the cap itself was almost exactly half what it is today.

Teams dealing with a total salary cap of $123 million in 2013 would pay out quarterbacks like Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, and Alex Smith anywhere between $8 million and $13 million a year — 6.5% to 10.5% of the cap value.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/daniel-jones-derek-carr-and-geno-smith-showcase-rising-middle-class-quarterback-salaries/

• Like 1

Add former Patriots quarterback and current Patriots broadcaster Scott Zolak to the list of people who aren’t convinced that Tom Brady is 100 percent retired.

Zolak: “Brady may go to Miami. I think that’s in play. I do. I think the possibility of him coming out of retirement is definitely 100 percent in play. This isn’t me saying it, this isn’t someone close to Brady. It started with Rich Eisen. Eisen’s at the Super Bowl. Multiple people dropped the hints. Colin Cowherd, he knows some Fox people. I don’t think he’s gonna call games. How does that deal get done? How do you sign a guy to that $375 million, 10-year contract to call games, he’s not even gonna do it next year. I know his handlers have moved to Miami. It’s built for him. He’s looking at private schools for his kids. Cowherd talks about the San Francisco offense. He’s not talking about San Francisco. He’s talking about Mike McDaniel in Miami.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/09/patriots-broadcaster-scott-zolak-says-tom-brady-to-miami-is-in-play/

The Jets have returned from meeting with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and word is that they are feeling good about spending a lot more time with Rodgers in the future.

Dianna Russini of ESPN reports that team owner Woody Johnson left the meeting with Rodgers feeling excited about the match with the quarterback. He and the rest of the traveling party — General Manager Joe Douglas, head coach Robert Saleh, and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett were also there — returned to New Jersey feeling optimistic that they will be able to bring Rodgers to the team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/09/report-jets-optimistic-about-landing-aaron-rodgers/

Aaron Rodgers’ time with the Green Bay Packers appears to be coming to an end. For the past week, there has been a great deal of speculation that the New York Jets will trade for the future Hall of Fame quarterback. Owner Woody Johnson, general manager Joe Douglas, and several members of their coaching staff even flew out to California to meet with Rodgers last week. However, Rodgers to the Jets may not be as much of a sure thing as many believe it to be. According to ESPN’ Dan Graziano, the Las Vegas Raiders may still make a play for Davante Adams’ former quarterback:

“There could be another team lurking (there are still people who think the Raiders will ultimately get involved, though if they are interested, they’ve been very verrrrrry quiet about it).”

https://wisportsheroics.com/aaron-rodgers-new-york-las-vegas/

Edited by vike daddy

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m trying to imagine the panic in NY of Rodgers doesn’t end up heading over to the Jets. 

Players had a lot to say, almost slander at Wilson. 

It's not really slander when he's given them no real reason to support him. 

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m trying to imagine the panic in NY of Rodgers doesn’t end up heading over to the Jets. 

What they said about Wilson doesn’t matter. They aren’t going back to him regardless of what Rodgers does. 

33 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Frankly, I think the Jets are better off long term without Rodgers. Perhaps in the short term too. If Green Bay is seeking anything more than a 2nd round pick, the Jets should pass. Rodgers is a one year rental. He's not the QB he used to be, and he's not likely to sign some team-friendly extension to stick around for a couple of years. He's also not going to mentor a young guy. 

Basically, by trading for Rodgers the Jets are going "all-in" on 2024. No need to mortgage the future beyond that. Especially considering the fact that Green Bay has destroyed their leverage here.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Frankly, I think the Jets are better off long term without Rodgers. Perhaps in the short term too. If Green Bay is seeking anything more than a 2nd round pick, the Jets should pass. Rodgers is a one year rental. He's not the QB he used to be, and he's not likely to sign some team-friendly extension to stick around for a couple of years. He's also not going to mentor a young guy. 

Basically, by trading for Rodgers the Jets are going "all-in" on 2024. No need to mortgage the future beyond that. Especially considering the fact that Green Bay has destroyed their leverage here.

I agree, but I'm not sure everyone acts rationally in situations like this. I'd rather have Kirk for a year, because I know he'll play his....off. 

• Like 3