Watching QB movement from team to team...

vike daddy

Just now, wcblack34 said:

Green Bay shouldn't worry about trading him within the NFC. They aren't a threat to win anything without Rodgers (unless they replaced him with Carr...then meh). 

I mean they're early in their offseason and it seems like they're already trying to defend Jordan Love.  

The 49ers will enter the 2023 offseason program with two primary quarterbacks — Trey Lance and Brock Purdy. They won’t be trying to acquire someone with greater name recognition. During the season-ending press conference, 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan was asked whether the team would be looking for a “high-profile veteran” quarterback.

“No, we’re content enough,” Shanahan said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/01/shanahan-49ers-arent-looking-for-a-high-profile-veteran-quarterback/

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The 49ers will enter the 2023 offseason program with two primary quarterbacks — Trey Lance and Brock Purdy. They won’t be trying to acquire someone with greater name recognition. During the season-ending press conference, 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan was asked whether the team would be looking for a “high-profile veteran” quarterback.

“No, we’re content enough,” Shanahan said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/01/shanahan-49ers-arent-looking-for-a-high-profile-veteran-quarterback/

So begins, Lyin' Season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

You think they will bring in more?

I think anything you say now in the definite, is definitely not true. Nothing is set in stone at this point of the offseason. 

The Niners are in contention mode. They have been to NFC championship games and haven't been able to get over the hump. What has been the deciding factor in all of this? Quarterback play. 

We'll see what happens but the biggest way to improve their SuperBowl chances is to get more consistent QB play.

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Does anyone else half heartedly hope for a Kirk Cousins trade for no other reason than the conversation would finally change?

No. If it wasn't Cousins, the naysayers would still gripe about something. "We should have drafted Hamiton." "We should have drafted Davis." "We should have hired this DC." Etc. etc. etc. 

Frankly, some people are only going to be happy if the team is successful by making every single move that they want the team to make.

13-4 in KOC's first year? NO!!! THEY DIDN'T DRAFT MY GUY!!!

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

No. If it wasn't Cousins, the naysayers would still gripe about something. "We should have drafted Hamiton." "We should have drafted Davis." "We should have hired this DC." Etc. etc. etc. 

Frankly, some people are only going to be happy if the team is successful by making every single move that they want the team to make.

13-4 in KOC's first year? NO!!! THEY DIDN'T DRAFT MY GUY!!!

It's all part of the fun and the dream of running the team! 

Biggest problem the Wilf's have is they didn't hire me for the GM gig!

Super Bowl Football GIF by BrittDoesDesign

• Like 1

I'm thinking QBs are moving around a lot more now, aren't they?  Nobody wants the cap hits, but the QBs are demanding ridiculous cash.  Take Lamar and Kyler, hindsight being what it is, are those guys worth $150M+ guaranteed (especially when they're not signing 8-year deals)?

I could go out on a limb and say every team needs QBs every year . . . that may be false for KC, Cincy, the Chargers and Buffalo . . . but other than Case Keenum, who are the back-ups?  A contributor feeding to the changing of QBs is the transfer portal in college now (if you don't like your current conditions, you make the change).  When did bosses lose the power to influence and control employees (within reasonable limits)?

This is a Millenial/GenZ thing we're seeing in the common work force too, and it's mind-numbing!  Maybe I'm a dinosaur to think that a 25-year old QB who really hasn't shown the world the team-oriented results, well he doesn't deserve much, especially money beyond belief. 

In context of teams needing QBs, it's like 20 teams.  In the Vikings' case, we truly need to find the future.  I love the way Kirk has played; he's got a live arm and puts up a lot of points . . . but . . . the price per point generated?  It's too much guaranteed money and there's really no leverage for the boss.  I'm hoping he's told his potential upcoming contract will be evaluated based on his performance in the 2023 season.  No talking of an extension now . . . no guaranteed $50M per year until he's 38, 39 or 40. 

2 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

A contributor feeding to the changing of QBs is the transfer portal in college now (if you don't like your current conditions, you make the change).  When did bosses lose the power to influence and control employees (within reasonable limits)?

This is a Millenial/GenZ thing we're seeing in the common work force too, and it's mind-numbing!  Maybe I'm a dinosaur to think that a 25-year old QB who really hasn't shown the world the team-oriented results, well he doesn't deserve much, especially money beyond belief. 

You had me up until here. I think this is just a terrible take.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm thinking QBs are moving around a lot more now, aren't they?  Nobody wants the cap hits, but the QBs are demanding ridiculous cash.  Take Lamar and Kyler, hindsight being what it is, are those guys worth $150M+ guaranteed (especially when they're not signing 8-year deals)?

I could go out on a limb and say every team needs QBs every year . . . that may be false for KC, Cincy, the Chargers and Buffalo . . . but other than Case Keenum, who are the back-ups?  A contributor feeding to the changing of QBs is the transfer portal in college now (if you don't like your current conditions, you make the change).  When did bosses lose the power to influence and control employees (within reasonable limits)?

In context of teams needing QBs, it's like 20 teams.  In the Vikings' case, we truly need to find the future.  I love the way Kirk has played; he's got a live arm and puts up a lot of points . . . but . . . the price per point generated?  It's too much guaranteed money and there's really no leverage for the boss.  I'm hoping he's told his potential upcoming contract will be evaluated based on his performance in the 2023 season.  No talking of an extension now . . . no guaranteed $50M per year until he's 38, 39 or 40. 

Sigh. Just maybe younger people shouldn't be put in a big group and stereotyped? I don't know, maybe that's me. Or, maybe young people are tired of working for peanuts for a decade given the insane debt load we've put on them by not having states subsidize college anymore? 

Good luck finding a QB better than Kirk. Several teams have been trying for decades....

• Like 3