Watching QB movement from team to team...

vike daddy

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes

Derek Carr wanted to sign before free agency to help lure other FAs with him to his new team. He gets his wish. Jets have always made it clear Aaron Rodgers was their 1, and weren’t moving forward with contingency plans until they knew what he wanted.

This was risk of that.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes

Derek Carr wanted to sign before free agency to help lure other FAs with him to his new team. He gets his wish. Jets have always made it clear Aaron Rodgers was their 1, and weren’t moving forward with contingency plans until they knew what he wanted.

This was risk of that.

If worse comes to worse, the Jets could always fall back to Jimmy Garappolo.  If I were the Jets, I'd have waited as well.  It's not like Carr is some huge difference changer.  He's a good enough QB, but he's not Aaron...and it's not some huge fall off from Carr to Jimmy.

• Like 1

Brock Purdy’s surgery was delayed by swelling. Nobody really knows what the 49ers have in Trey Lance. That reality prompted GM John Lynch to say that the concerns about Purdy and Lance will probably push them to sign a veteran QB, which some have suggested could be Baker Mayfield.

Would they call the Vikings about Kirk Cousins if the two sides do not have an extension in place? There’s a lot of hurdles to get over, especially why the Vikings would give an NFC contender their good quarterback but if they reached an impasse and decided to hit the reset button like Detroit did with Matthew Stafford… you never know. It still seems like an extreme long shot.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/20-vikings-related-takeaways-from-the-nfl-combine

Hmmm... what else would we get in a Lance for Cousins trade...?

As recently explained, if the Saints cut Winston with a post-June 1 designation, they’d take a $2.8 million cap charge in 2023 and another $8.4 million in 2024. If they cut him with a pre-June 1 designation, they’d take the full $11.2 million this year.

Regardless, the Saints will save $12.8 million in cold, hard cash by cutting Winston. And the cold, hard truth is that, with the 2014 second-rounder on his way in, the first overall pick in 2015 will be on the way out.

And if/when Winston is cut, it will be interesting to see whether Sean Payton, who initially brought Jameis to New Orleans, will try to get him to join the depth chart in Denver.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/06/yes-if-derek-carr-signs-with-the-saints-jameis-winston-will-be-released/

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

If worse comes to worse, the Jets could always fall back to Jimmy Garappolo.  If I were the Jets, I'd have waited as well.  It's not like Carr is some huge difference changer.  He's a good enough QB, but he's not Aaron...and it's not some huge fall off from Carr to Jimmy.

I think it could be argued that Garoppolo is a better QB. 

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll ask again...

I just can't see the 49ers trading for Cousins. Especially if they really do think there's a future with Purdy. I don't think Kirk waives his NTC if he isn't given a significant extension. If he does waive it to play one year in SF, then SF isn't going to want to give up any sort of significant compensation.

I have to think that if it was a one-year thing, then we'd be fortunate to get Lance and maybe a 3rd/4th rounder this year and a conditional pick next year.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That puts a lot of pressure on Carolina and Atlanta to get the QB situation right this year. 

Carr in New Orleans puts the Saints in a commanding lead of the NFC South. 

But both Tampa Bay and Atlanta are "very excited" about Trask and Ridder!  😉