Sean Payton to be Broncos HC

Abe56

5 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I am fundamentally opposed to throwing the bag at retired coaches. Phil Jackson, Urban Meyer, and Mike Holmgren were so checked out. 

I think the Broncos will regret this 

I agree but I'm not sure Payton qualifies. He was out of the league for one season, which isn't all that long. Once you get multiple seasons out then it gets much harder to get into the HC grind. One addendum to the rule is that if you have to really beg/plead with a candidate to come (See Urban with the Jags last year) or throw a bag to get someone to come out of retirement, it will be a disaster.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:
15 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I am fundamentally opposed to throwing the bag at retired coaches. Phil Jackson, Urban Meyer, and Mike Holmgren were so checked out. 

I agree but I'm not sure Payton qualifies. He was out of the league for one season, which isn't all that long. Once you get multiple seasons out then it gets much harder to get into the HC grind. One addendum to the rule is that if you have to really beg/plead with a candidate to come (See Urban with the Jags last year) or throw a bag to get someone to come out of retirement, it will be a disaster.

Also I think Urban just wasn't cut out for the NFL.  His offensive philosophy might've been fine for the NFL, but what made him a great CFB coach was his ability to get top recruits which often gave him equal or better talent than his opponents.  In the NFL you can't just get all the best players to come play for you as you have to take the cap into account, not to mention NFL players care about different things than players wanting to play in college.

• Like 1

I like the hire for the Broncos. They're stuck with Wilson going forward and if anyone is going to help him revamp his career it's probably Payton. We know that they have an elite defense so even an average offense puts them in position to be competitive. Making this hire now also probably prevented him from being hired by the Chargers next offseason. 

On 2/1/2023 at 3:27 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I think he’s a great coach. But now you have a great coach on a bum team that can’t get significantly better in any avenue (FA, Draft). Seems like a bad move for Denver, who needed a full-scale rebuild after the Wilson fail. 

Meh. They still have one of the best defenses in the league, three young weapons oozing with potential (Javonte, Jeudy, Dulcich), a couple of solid complimentary WR (Sutton, Patrick), and obviously Russ at QB.  

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. They still have one of the best defenses in the league, three young weapons oozing with potential (Javonte, Jeudy, Dulcich), a couple of solid complimentary WR (Sutton, Patrick), and obviously Russ at QB.  

I don’t buy their defense. I think they regress big time with one of the least talented front 7’s in the NFL. 

And even if those dudes do have great potential, you could say the same thing for 75% of the rest of NFL teams. Their biggest issue is a Russell Wilson sucking at QB problem. They can’t fix that issue without cap space or draft picks. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:53 PM, roger murdock said:

Huh. Phil Jackson won 2 championships when he retired for a year and came back with the lakers. 

Peyton was out one year. Not 20. And he’s not going to be a GM or president like Holmgren. He’s just the coach. 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:22 PM, LoFi said:

I think the Broncos are working on the sunk cost fallacy here. They're stuck with Wilson for a few more years. Payton has a history of building potent offenses and getting the most out of his QB's. I get why they wanted to go after him, they're hoping he can fix Wilson's issues. 

Payton is overrated as an HC, sure -- but I can't think of anyone better to try and right Russell Wilson's ship. It's a hail mary on Denver's part. 

Oh 100%. 

The broncos need to fix their mistakes and new ownership is letting them do that.

Personally I'm expecting them to implode even harder.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Huh. Phil Jackson won 2 championships when he retired for a year and came back with the lakers. 

Peyton was out one year. Not 20. And he’s not going to be a GM or president like Holmgren. He’s just the coach. 

I'm talking Phil Jax to the Knicks not his one year off. He was young then. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He wasn’t a coach. He was the president. So not really the same thing as Peyton being a coach just like he was before. 

I hear ya. And this does feel different because he starting itching to come back. Urban and Phil Jax were basically dragged out of retirement with lots and lots of money.