Mocking the Pats, 2023

DaPatsKid98

It’s officially draft season, baby! Would love to have a thread exclusively for some mock drafts, while there is already an established thread for discussion on prospects.

TheDraftNetwork had my favorite mock draft machine, but it appears they’re in no rush to bring that part of the site back up this year… anywho

PFF is probably the best one available for free. Nice layout, easy to use. Trades can be a little unrealistic, so I tend to stray away from those, but don’t let that stop you from wheeling and dealing.

With that being said, let’s see what we can do 🤓

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator?ref=617347c3-0115-4231-acaa-1e837fa5664c

14- Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

46- Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE, Kansas State

76- Gervon Dexter, DL, Florida

107- Olu Oluwatimi, C/G, Michigan

117- Marvin Mims, WR, Oklahoma

135- Mekhi Garner, CB, LSU

trade 192 & 233 to Houston for 203 & 207

203- Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Minnesota

207- Dalton Wagner, OT, Arkansas

210- Warren McClendon, OT, Georgia

259- Bryce Baringer, P, Michigan State

At pick 14, Peter Skoronski was very tempting for me to select. Bolstering the tackle position is a premium priority, but the draft honestly a good group this year to select offensive lineman later.

Brian Branch is phenomenal in space and can play virtually every position in the secondary. Alabama roots run deep, and I’m planting some more im Foxboro. Branch is the pick.

At pick 46, options are still wide open. Corners such as Garrett Williams and Emmanuel Forbes are still available along with a multitude of defensive linemen. Offensive studs Jaylin Hyatt and Jahmyr Gibbs are also on the board!

Ultimately, I chose to roll the dice with EDGE rusher Felix Anudike-Uzomah of Kansas State. His anticipation, burst, length, and pure speed-to-strength skill set reminds me a lot of Matt Judon… 👀  Pass rusher isn’t a a huge need, but how often does Belichick & Co. draft for need? Josh Uche had a breakout season and I’m not discrediting it by any means, but he has one year left on his deal. Can he keep up the production enough to get paid by us? Better question may he does he price himself out of New England.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah would be the perfect guy to come in as a situational player out of the gate and, hopefully, get developed into a key cog in our front seven.

At pick 76, defenders Isaiah Foskey and Tyrique Stevenson are staring me right in the face. Both are VERY intriguing fits in Jerod Mayo’s defense. — That was refreshing to say… give it a shot 😜

Apologies to @m haynes, but I could not resist picking Gervin Dexter out of Florida. 6’6”, 316lbs and has OUTSTANDING strength. So much burst, so much power. Filling out this defensive line wasn’t my intention when I started this mock, but that’s the way the cookie crumbled and I’m not upset.

107, I selected Michigan’s center Olu Oluwatimi. David Andrews won’t be here forever. Wondering if some teams see him as a guard.

Edited by DaPatsKid98
  • Like 2

Mock season is my favorite season.. I try to not get too into them until the combine though, just because prospects move around so much during the Senior Bowl / Combine. 

I'll keep my trading to a minimum, while projecting what I feel the Patriots actually do on draft day. 

Patriots trade 14 to the NYG for 25, 57, and 162

25 -> Darnell Wright, RT ( Day 1 Starter at RT)

46 -> Drew Sanders, LB ( Great chess piece to use all over the LB group) 

57-> Blake Freeland, LT ( I would take Dawand Jones here but I now feel like he will be gone by this point. Freeland is a good prospect who could use a redshirt to put on some muscle and be ready to take over for Trent Brown 2024. I think if Brown struggles / gets injured he would be capable of stepping in but ideally would redshirt) 

76 -> Gervon Dexter, DL (Impact player, raw, top 10 talent. You put him next to Barmore with Judon/Sanders/Uche behind them.. I have no idea how teams handle that pass rush)

107 -> Kyu Blu Kelly, CB ( Long, fast CB who has experience in man coverage scheme. He isn't the most agile player so he needs help there but has a lot of potential)

117 -> Tucker Kraft, TE ( Some injury concerns but he has huge potential, he may go earlier than this but I think he's right around this range)

135 -> Trey Dean, S (Raw, amazing athlete.. experience at SS, FS, and CB) 

162 -> Brenton Cox, Edge (Raw, amazing athlete, character concerns.. but BB spent some time one on one with him, i'm assuming they figure that out before drafting him) 

192 -> Michael Turk, P ( Bailey appears to be done, they used that suspension as an excuse to get out of his contract.. Turk did amazing at the Shrine Bowl) 

210 -> Jayden Reed, WR (Blew up the Senior Bowl, if he is still there at this point they will want him) 

233 -> Demario Douglas, WR ( Double dip at slot, blew up the Shrine Bowl.. they will love how quick he is to go with Reed's speed) 

259 -> Myles Brooks, CB ( Small school, long CB with an attitude, seemed to do well at the senior bowl) 

Overall I'm pretty happy with that draft tbo, a lot of potential.. even if I would have liked to address receiver earlier... just never seemed tike the best option to take. PFF has Tank Dell rated really high for instance, I wouldn't take him top 50.. in the 3rd sure, but not top 50. After that point I'm basically only interested in a receiver day 3. 

• Like 1

@Crimmagesign me up!

I like the value we get from that trade down. Doesn’t feel like we lose anything player wise going from 14-25.

Sanders and Dexter are my favorite picks. Freeland feels a lot like a Patriot type as well.

Reinforcements on D and some protection for Mac + a few weapons! Can’t go wrong with that.

I really do believe we draft a punter as well, rather than prioritize an UDFA. What a weird ending to the Jake Bailey era..

• Like 1

I used  pro- football simulator.   So don't blame me where the players  i took landed  such as Mayers at 46 !!!🤣

Pick 14 trade    ------              Commanders  pick 16 and  2024 1st RD pick.

Pick 16 & 107  trade  --------  Seahawks  20, 37

Pick 20 trade -------                Pitts 32 and 2024 1st RD pick

Pick 32 ------                           WR  Zay Flowers

Pick 37 trade ------                  Raiders 38 and 233

Pick 38   ------                          OT  Darnell Wright

Pick 46 ------                            TE  Michael Mayers

Pick 117  -----                            CB  Garett Williams

Pick 184 -----                             RB Roschon Johnson

Pick 187 ------                            S Tyree Smith

Pick 192 ------                            OT Zion Nelson

Pick 211 ------                             OT Conner Galvin

Pick 233 trade  ------                 234, 256

Pick 234   ----                             K Jake Moody

Pick 256 ----                               P Michael Turk

Pick 275 ------                            WR   Nathanul Dell

-------------------------------------------------

2024 draft 

Patriots have 3 1st rd picks!!!!!!

Mac doesn't pan out,  I here 24  QB class is loaded !!!!!!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

@m haynes

If we can pull off that trade with Washington, you think we can get them to also throw in Curtis Samuel as a sweetener? 😎😂

I’m a fan of most of the selections you’ve made. You’ve hit the nail on the head in every comment I’ve read of yours about Zay Flowers. The kid truly is impressive, and no doubt would hit the ground running in New England!

Garrett Williams is pretty underrated it feels like up to this point. He could be a legitimate target at 76, IMO.

Roschon Jones feels like an enigma to me. I’ve seen scouts and fans alike raving about his potential, but obviously he wasn’t going to get a chance to show what he was made of sitting behind Bijan Robinson. Maybe I’ll take a close look at him after this!

1 hour ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

@m haynes

If we can pull off that trade with Washington, you think we can get them to also throw in Curtis Samuel as a sweetener? 😎😂

I’m a fan of most of the selections you’ve made. You’ve hit the nail on the head in every comment I’ve read of yours about Zay Flowers. The kid truly is impressive, and no doubt would hit the ground running in New England!

Garrett Williams is pretty underrated it feels like up to this point. He could be a legitimate target at 76, IMO.

Roschon Jones feels like an enigma to me. I’ve seen scouts and fans alike raving about his potential, but obviously he wasn’t going to get a chance to show what he was made of sitting behind Bijan Robinson. Maybe I’ll take a close look at him after this!

He is a head scratcher, for sure.   He remind me of a pitcher that has a weird throwing motion. No matter how hard I try I can't knock the results. You watch him and you say, is he fast?  Than he's blowing by the DBs!!!!

Also here's the vid that Williams really stood out. The tape is great however it has nothing to do with the visual. Listen to the announcer at the 56 second mark. That's when I said that my guy , brains, football smarts, to go along with skill level, impressive!!

Edited by m haynes

My post Shrine Bowl Mock via PFF. I gave myself the following restrictions: 

- Can't have over 11 picks ( The current total the Pats have) 

- Can't take any players I believe will be long gone by that point in the draft

Patriots trade 14 to the Texans for 33, 203 & Browns 2024 1st Round Pick

33 -> Darnell Wright, RT ( Day 1 Starter at RT) 

46 -> Jaelyn Duncan, LT ( Redshirt LT, take over for Trent Brown at LT next year) 

Patriots trade 76, and 258 to the Vikings for 87, 119 and a 2024 5th Round Pick

87 -> Kyu Blu Kelly, CB (Huge Senior Bowl pushes him into day 2, he's a starter on this team outside.. could even cause Mills to be traded during training camp)

107 -> Trey Dean, S (Shrine Bowl MVP, he will be an exciting player in the secondary)

117 -> Jayden Reed, WR ( Senior Bowl Standout, has some Deon Branch in his game .. could play inside and outside)

Patriots trade 119 and 233 to the Raiders for 143 and 174

143 -> Jake Moody, K ( Showed his leg at the Shrine Bowl, if they can get out of Bailey's deal I think this is Turk instead.. but I expect a Kicker/Punter taken in the 5th, maybe even both)

147 -> Brenton Cox, ED ( Assuming he passed all the interviews he would be a steal at this point)

174 -> Mohamoud Diabate, LB ( Need LBs, he impressed at Shrine Bowl) 

187 -> Dante Stills, DL (Need DL Depth, he impressed at Shrine Bowl)

192 -> Bryce Ford-Wheaton, WR ( I thought about Demaro Douglas and using Reed outside but Ford-Wheaton has a lot of potential. Big, strong, fast guy)

203 -> Nic Jones, CB ( If this class weren't so deep I would say he is gone by now but he really showed out at the Shrine Bowl) 

The only positions I wish I could have hit were RB/TE because of how good this class is.. but I have a feeling they could get a decent UDFA to come in and compete for a spot. 

I'm happy fixing the OL and I think really bolstered the defense with talent while adding a couple X Factors at WR. Up to Troy Brown to make them into players now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crimmage said:

147 -> Brenton Cox, ED

I like the draft except for one pick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

Seriously I don't like the player IMO its a waste of pick. He has the same problem as ( who has yet to see the field ) Ronnie Perkins. Lack of flexibility in the lower half.  Here what I'm talking about. 42, 100, 128 mark.

You can get away with this in college but not in the NFL.  That why Perkins will never see the field and if he does its to " try" to justify the pick.  

Side note, reminds ( not about  Brenton Cox )  me of another fantastic Gator pick !!!!!!!!  Jermaine Cunningham.

Leave them all in the swamp!!!

Edited by m haynes

In keeping the theme, I didn’t try to get ridiculous with trading/selecting a player that likely won’t be available IRL at given selections

-Traded pick 14 to Baltimore for pick 22, 86, and their 3rd round pick in 2024.

•Patriots use pick 22 to select… Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

-Traded pick 46 & 192 to Carolina for 39 & 228

•Patriots use pick 39 to select…

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

•Patriots use pick 76 to select… Jordan Battle, DB, Alabama

•Patriots use pick 86 to select… Jaylon Jones, CB, Texas A&M

•Patriots use pick 104 to select…

Gervon Dexter, DL, Florida

•Patriots use pick 117 to select…

Olu Oluwatimi, IOL, Michigan

•Patriots use pick 135 to select…

Xavier Hutchinson, WR, Iowa State

•Patriots use pick pick 210 to select…

Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

Patriots use pick 228 to select…

Dalton Wagner, OT, Arkansas

Patriots trade pick 233 and pick 258 to Tampa Bay for their 7th round pick in 2024 and their 7th round pick in 2025.

Edited by DaPatsKid98

On 2/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, m haynes said:

Don't pick Gators

1999 Tony George
2004 Gus Scott
2006 Chad Jackson
2010 Aron Hernandez
2010 Brandon Skikes
2010 Jermaine Cunningham
2014 Dominque Easly
2018 Duke Dawson

Not one in our history worked out.

You have inspired me to create your nightmare scenario.. I like to call it, the Florida Draft: 

Patriots Trade Mac Jones and 46 for #7

7-> Anthony Richardson, QB FLORIDA

(Bill O'Brien gets his mobile QB project, who after he turns into a legit QB gets him a HC job again) 

Patriots trade 14 to Bengals for 28, 60, and 92

28-> O'Cyrus Torrence, OG FLORIDA

(Patriots decide he will do just fine at RT) 

60 -> Tyrique Stevenson, CB Miami ( At least it's the same state) 

(Shined at Senior Bowl, CB1 potential .. can play year 1) 

76 -> Gervon Dexter Sr, DL FLORIDA

(Raw, Powerful, creates a dominant OL with Barmore) 

92 -> Trey Dean III, S FLORIDA

(Shrine Bowl MVP, future starting Safety) 

Patriots trade 107 to Panthers for future 3rd

117 -> Ventrell Miller, LB FLORIDA

135 -> Will Mallory, TE Miami 

192 -> Isaiah Land, EDGE Florida A&M

210 -> Justin Shorter, WR FLORIDA

233 -> Richard Gouraige, OT FLORIDA

Patriots trade 258 to Saints for 2024 6th 

Surprisingly that gave me a better grade than my usual drafts.. a solid B+ LOL 

4 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

•Patriots use pick 22 to select… Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

It would be hilarious to me if the Patriots spent a first on a LB this draft, when they could have had better options last year. That's so them, just look at when they decided to take back to back TE's in an awful TE draft. 

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Love the pick but when it's all said and done.. I think you'll have to trade up much further than 39 to get him. It's going to be a battle between him and Dawand Jones at the back half of the 1st round. I have a feeling that Wright goes first.. somewhere in that 25-32 range.. because he doesn't have the weight concerns that Jones has. I can see this same trade happening but taking Jones instead. 

•Patriots use pick 76 to select… Jordan Battle, DB, Alabama

I wonder if they actually fall in love with Battle. The entire Alabama defense seemed to take a step back this season. 

•Patriots use pick 86 to select… Jaylon Jones, CB, Texas A&M

Haven't seen him but I think this is the prime area that they will go after a CB

•Patriots use pick 104 to select…

Gervon Dexter, DL, Florida

Love it, think he will be gone though. After he blows up the combine.. i expect him firmly in that 50-75 range. Fingers crossed that teams sleep on him though.. he would truly be a force next to Barmore. 

•Patriots use pick 117 to select…

Olu Oluwatimi, IOL, Michigan

Really like the idea of getting a C/IOL. David Andrews has 2 years left and has been banged up. If they aren't in love with Russey this is the draft to get his replacement. 

•Patriots use pick 135 to select…

Xavier Hutchinson, WR, Iowa State

I wonder if not blowing up the Senior Bowl hurt his stock. I expected him to do well and push up into that 2nd round range. His projections are all over the place too, I've heard some ceilings as high as Justin Jefferson.. but most people don't think he's fast enough. Another guy where the combine will determine his stock a lot. 

•Patriots use pick pick 210 to select…

Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

Great pick, if he is there in the 200's it just goes to show how stacked this draft is

Patriots use pick 228 to select…

Dalton Wagner, OT, Arkansas

He feels like a UDFA but at 228 it makes no difference. He's huge but admitted he has no idea what he's doing lol. If you're confident in your OL coach I could see him being a good backup with a ceiling of average RT in a couple years. He fits especially if you take Dawand Jones earlier, because you could have Jones at RT year 1, move him over to LT year 2 and hopefully Wagner is able to step up and replace him at RT. 

I would be pretty happy with this draft overall. My only question for you would be the slot, are you assuming in this scenario that Meyers is back? Bourne moves to the slot? I don't see Hutchinson as a pure slot in the NFL personally, especially not in O'Briens offense. Or maybe you're thinking Nixon/Bowden take over that spot? 

If Mack Wilson/Raekwon McMillan are not brought back, it’ll be obvious the LB room will be sporting a new look and hopefully it will be for the better and not for worse. Harvey Langi and KVN are familiar faces that will be available in free agency … cringe. The draft is more hopeful this year without breaking the bank or getting slower and older.

Ideally, @Crimmage, like you’ve brought up, Drew Sanders in the early second round seems to be a better pairing but hey we can’t have it all lol

The staff will find a spot for Simpson week 1 and his role will increase weekly nobody what the defense looks like. And with all our impending free agents this year and keeping in mind the ones after next season, there is no telling what scheme they turn towards, but Simpson is a guy that can cover a lot of ground no matter where he lines up on the field and he comes in hot!

I’m not saying he’s the number one guy I want by any means, just spicing up the scenarios and this one is definitely a darkhorse.

Also wanna get some wheels turning for feedback on some prospects we aren’t really zeroing in on as much right now as a fan base 

If this scenario comes true for wide receiver…

I’ll be honest, I hope they made/make another move besides drafting Hutchinson lol because I didn’t gameplan for that position with much thought for this mock

As for our current room, I still believe in Kendrick Bourne and I hope Bill O’Brien does too.

Agholor, I hope he’s gone. Was never a fan of his, even dating back to when people were mocking him to Pats out of USC originally.

Meyers, I’m indifferent on. I understand he’s homegrown and is Mac’s security blanket more often than not.. but I think he’s gonna price himself out of Foxboro. To what extent is he worth?

Tyquan Thornton, we have to really hope can put together a healthy off-season and just be a sponge. I’m excited to see him assume a bigger role.

Speaking of health, I don’t think we can count on DeVante Parker every week. That’s not a reason to count him out though, he showed some nice things especially later in the year and all we can do is hope he’s out there consistently to create some more chemistry with Mac!

We’re missing a piece with this idea, but I’m just not sure who. Perhaps we get a reunion with Brandin Cooks?

🤔 lol

54 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

If Mack Wilson/Raekwon McMillan are not brought back, it’ll be obvious the LB room will be sporting a new look and hopefully it will be for the better and not for worse. Harvey Langi and KVN are familiar faces that will be available in free agency … cringe. The draft is more hopeful this year without breaking the bank or getting slower and older.

I agree that LB is an underrated need. They currently only have Bentley and Tavai.. and Bentley is on the last year of his deal. This is an area that I think they could go after someone in free agency as well as the draft (Okereke / Long / Edmunds). It seems unlikely that they would trust 2 LB's to play a lot of snaps year 1. I could see them falling in love with some Senior Bowl / Shrine bowl guys.. i'm just not sure they would trust them enough not to redshirt them. IF they are wanting to get smaller and speedier at LB they can find a bunch of smaller guys on day 3

Some Names to Remember: 

• Henry To'oTo'o (Senior Bowl) 
  • Ivan Pace (Senior Bowl) 
  • Mohamoud Diabate (Shrine Bowl)
  • Aubrey Miller (Senior Bowl) 
  • Dee Winters (Senior Bowl) 
  • Isaih Moore (Shrine Bowl) 

I'm very much for continuing the youth movement. Give me another 10+ rookies on the roster. Especially on defense I think they have an all star group of coaches there, give them smart, fast, leaders and you'll see results. 

I’m not saying he’s the number one guy I want by any means, just spicing up the scenarios and this one is definitely a darkhorse.

He's a good guy to remember tbo, mainly because I could totally see them coming out of left field and drafting him lol. I would hate the pick, but I could see them do it. I would have much rather them spent a 1st on a LB last year. 

Free agency will determine a lot here, whatever holes they fill during free agency will go a long way towards telling us where their head is about 14

As for our current room, I still believe in Kendrick Bourne and I hope Bill O’Brien does too.

Receiver is another position I wouldn't be surprised if they ignore entirely. That's just how they are.. when we all are crying for a receiver they say "nah" and go somewhere else. They can certainly get by this season with Parker / Bourne / Thornton as their top 3 WR. Especially if they believe in bringing up Nixon/Bowden.. but man, that's a scary group to go into the season with. Someone gets injured and you really drop off. It's also scary because Parker and Bourne are on the last year of their deals.. and you'd rather not see 2 rookies starting on this team. 

I Love Bourne at the Z, I think he could be a 1,000 yard guy for them. They need elite route running out of the slot to pair with him. Flowers would be that, but that goes back to not thinking they will use a 1st on a WR. The combine will show us some elite 3 cones to talk about though. 

Meyers, I’m indifferent on. I understand he’s homegrown and is Mac’s security blanket more often than not.. but I think he’s gonna price himself out of Foxboro. To what extent is he worth?

I would like to keep him, I just don't see how this offense can grow with him here. If he is here, he will be a prominent fixture of the offense, which naturally limits them. If you get him to stay for under 10M a year, I would do it though. I think when it's all said and done, he gets around 12-14M from a team. For instance, Raiders trade Renfrow and sign Meyers long term or something. 

Tyquan Thornton, we have to really hope can put together a healthy off-season and just be a sponge. I’m excited to see him assume a bigger role.

He has to be a big part of the offense, especially if they don't make big moves at the position. He's not a high volume guy from what I can tell though.. you still need a guy like that. 

Speaking of health, I don’t think we can count on DeVante Parker every week. 

Agreed

We’re missing a piece with this idea, but I’m just not sure who. Perhaps we get a reunion with Brandin Cooks?

I have a feeling he's going to want to stay now that they have hired Ryans. I also think he could be valuable for a rookie QB. Cooks/Metchie and another 1st round WR would be really good for a rookie QB. 

• Like 1