Texans hire former 49ers DC/former Texans Team Captain DeMeco Ryans to be its 6th Head Coach

ET80

1 hour ago, Marco79 said:
4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

a lot of people around here don't like Kingsbury but I think that it would be a great hire for OC. Dude can run an offense, especially if we can give him a competent defense. The good thing about an experienced guy is that he can help Ryans a bunch. our DC hire makes it obvious that Ryans is planning on calling the D, and its much harder to be HC and call a D than it is to be HC and call the O. So I am perfectly fine with this. 

Despite having a ton of talent, his offensives in Arizona never were that good. Maybe that’s what you get when the HC duties were too much for him in addition to his terrible relationship with Murray, so if he just has to focus on the offense maybe you get different results. However, I would still be pretty skeptical of Kliff, but I do have faith Demeco. Just like the seemingly bleh DC hire, I trust him to hire the right people, so I wouldn’t overly criticize anything.

I sort of agree - Kingsbury and his offense would go stale right around week 7 or 8 every year, like clockwork. They start off hot and put up gaudy figures, then the bottom just falls out. 

I'm not going to be heavily bothered by it, but there are better options out there.

They seemed to have filled the OL coach spot which also seems to mean they have their OC hired already. I'd imagine your OC would have some input on some assistants he may be working with. Anyone have an idea what kind of blocking the Colts ran? Zone/Power? May give you an idea if the OC is Kingsbury or the coach from SF.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blaze said:

They seemed to have filled the OL coach spot which also seems to mean they have their OC hired already. I'd imagine your OC would have some input on some assistants he may be working with. Anyone have an idea what kind of blocking the Colts ran? Zone/Power? May give you an idea if the OC is Kingsbury or the coach from SF.

My guess would be power. Peirce can run zone but it’s not his strong suit. 

11 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I feel very underwhelmed by most of the coaching hires so far. We’ve hired a few guys who coached some of the worst units in football. It’s concerning. 

Strausser did coach Colts oline when Taylor was running all over NFL.  Plus IIRC Colts usually had good OL until last year.

Kffin coached Clowney & Garrett.   Browns DL could have been better.  But Kiffin is son of Monte - inventor / maestro of the Wide-9 that we will be running.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jch1911 said:

So with Kiffin and Ryans - are we going to run a 3-4 again? That works for me. Lopez at the NT, Malik Collins/Thomas Booker at 5 techs, Kurt Hinish in as a 5 tech on run downs, Jerry Hughes and Jon Greenard as stand up edge, Christian Harris inside as an ILB, a few 49ers FAs to round out the unit (Samson Ekuban and Azeez Al-Shaair, hopefully). 

This looks good on paper...

Just now, ET80 said:

So with Kiffin and Ryans - are we going to run a 3-4 again? That works for me. Lopez at the NT, Malik Collins/Thomas Booker at 5 techs, Kurt Hinish in as a 5 tech on run downs, Jerry Hughes and Jon Greenard as stand up edge, Christian Harris inside as an ILB, a few 49ers FAs to round out the unit (Samson Ekuban and Azeez Al-Shaair, hopefully). 

This looks good on paper...

I think we're running 4-3 with wide 9... faster DL shooting gaps.   Lots of responsibility for LBs.

Probably even some 4-2-5 that SF runs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I feel very underwhelmed by most of the coaching hires so far. We’ve hired a few guys who coached some of the worst units in football. It’s concerning. 

I'm not judging the Colts OL on one season - pretty much every year before that, they were THE top unit in football. That decline is on Chris Ballard not finding adequate replacements at LT and RG. Quentin Nelson and Ryan Kelly can only do so much alone...

• Like 1