Texans hire former 49ers DC/former Texans Team Captain DeMeco Ryans to be its 6th Head Coach

ET80

Chris Kiffin coming over to coach LBs has crushed my dream of Meco bringing back Johnny Holland to coach LBs in Houston once again. Holland is one of the best LB coach in the league and since Meco was hired I had my eyes on who they'd bring in for that position. In saying that I don't mind the Kiffin hire. Under Demeco I doubt we'll have issues with position group. 

Retaining Jaques Cesair as the DL coach is interesting. I liked when they brought him in last year. The defense as a whole really struggled to stop the run last year and that's my main concern honestly. I'd love Houston to add an experienced assistant DL coach. Burke the new DC also been a DL coach in a few stops so maybe that is the help I'm sort of referring to. Cesair should see some talent added to his group in both FA and draft this offseason, so let's hope he can get the most out of them. Players spoke highly of him all year since he was brought in so I'm glad they retained him. 

Cory Uldin is a good hire. He's been rumored to be coming with Demeco since he was hired. His contract expired with 49ers and can make the lateral move to the same position with Houston. He's also worked with the DC Burke in Philly (as did CB coach Dino Vasso who has been in Houston past two seasons). If Vasso remains on the staff (which I expect) then that's the defensive side of the ball mostly wrapped up other than QC type position and assistants, but position coaches would be set. 

Still have most of the offensive position coaches to be added so eager to see how that sorts out. Also wondering if anyone gets the assistant HC title which most teams use. 

• Like 2

Based on the defensive side of the ball coaching hires... I could foresee

Edge (4): Hughes; Okowronkwo (re-sign); Ebukam (SF UFA); Greenard

IDL (5):  Collins; Lopez; Hinish; Booker; Trysten Hill (AZ UFA)

LB (6): Harris; Cashman; Wallow; middle-round rookie (Overshown?); Edmunds (BUF UFA); Azeez Al-Shaair (SF UFA)

CB (6): Moseley (SF UFA): Stingley; King; Nelson; T. Thomas (re-sign); Arnold

SAF (4): Pitre; Jimmie Ward (SF UFA); Owens (re-sign); Stewart (re-sign)

Not a bad defensive group - possibly even top 7.

DeMeco's coaching staff tracker:

OC: Bobby Slowik

QB coach:  Jerrod Johnson

RB coach: Danny Barrett

WR coach: Ben McDaniels

TE coach: Jake Moreland

OL coach: Chris Strausser

DC:  Matt Burke

DL Coach: Jacques Cesaire

LB coach: Chris Kiffin

CB coach: Dino Vasso

S coach: Stephen Adegoke

ST coach: Frank Ross

Edited by Texansfan713

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

DeMeco's coaching staff tracker:

OC: Bobby Slowik

QB coach:  Jerrod Johnson

RB coach

WR coach

TE coach

OL coach: Chris Strausser

DC:  Matt Burke

DL Coach: Jacques Cesaire

LB coach: Chris Kiffin

CB coach:

S coach: Stephen Adegoke

ST coach: Frank Ross

So I’m going to operate as if Klint is not taking the job… no harm, but would have been nice.

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So I’m going to operate as if Klint is not taking the job… no harm, but would have been nice.

I think Klint will be taking the job because AZ hired Gannon... Klint was linked to a different coach.  It could be a $$$ issue & he's trying to ensure he gets PPAAAIIIDDDD

• Like 1

Just now, jch1911 said:

I think Klint will be taking the job because AZ hired Gannon... Klint was linked to a different coach.  It could be a $$$ issue & he's trying to ensure he gets PPAAAIIIDDDD

Was he associated with Lou Ammauro? Wasn’t aware of that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Really wish we moved on from McDaniels at WR coach. Was hoping for a new guy in that role. I don't know how McDaniels stays on as Passing Game Coordinator when we had the worst passing game in the league last year. Not sure what that role Passing Game Coordinator really entails but it's just disappointing he was retained imo. 

Happy with Strausser coming over for OL. 3/4 years in Indy he was in charge of one of the best units in the league. Last year the wheel fell off a bit but clear track record of coaching good groups. 

• Like 1