What does Sean do now?

AKRNA

But this is really the issue with free agency, you deplete your financial resources by overvaluing talent. In Dre’Mont’s case you’d be paying A+ money for a B+ talent. In Risner’s case, paying B money for a C talent. 

If you’re starting from 0 like the Jaguars last year, that can be okay and elevate you to respectability, paired with some great drafting. But it’s usually a mistake. You “win” FA by either getting contender discounts (Elway era signings) or making bets on players being victims of circumstance and elevating their play on a second deal (what we tried to do with Gregory).

• Like 4

17 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

But this is really the issue with free agency, you deplete your financial resources by overvaluing talent. In Dre’Mont’s case you’d be paying A+ money for a B+ talent. In Risner’s case, paying B money for a C talent. 

If you’re starting from 0 like the Jaguars last year, that can be okay and elevate you to respectability, paired with some great drafting. But it’s usually a mistake. You “win” FA by either getting contender discounts (Elway era signings) or making bets on players being victims of circumstance and elevating their play on a second deal (what we tried to do with Gregory).

I agree with this.

I think this is where having the QB just makes all of these decisions that much easier. I know this sounds a push, but the reason why the Chiefs can play hardball with Frank Clark (cut) and Orlando Brown Jr (not tagged), and trade Tyreek Hill asking for $25m a year is because they know that worst case scenario, they have Patrick Mahomes.

They know their QB can mask deficiencies across the team whilst their talent is replenished. Fair play to Mahomes for not kicking up a stink and trusting Veach/Reid. Many QBs (**COUGH** Aaron Rodgers) would be vocal in their displeasure at losing their all Pro WR and their LT.

However, losing talent when your team is already losing games is a tough look. I guess if you are going to do it, do it when you've got a brand new HC.

It's a shame to lose a player like Dre'Mont. Like BB inferred - it tends to be those players who are just beneath the top tier that make it to UFA. They have flashed enough for 1 team to pay them like they are the player they COULD be, but their current team aren't willing to pay them for fear of them not being that player.

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I agree with this.

I think this is where having the QB just makes all of these decisions that much easier. I know this sounds a push, but the reason why the Chiefs can play hardball with Frank Clark (cut) and Orlando Brown Jr (not tagged), and trade Tyreek Hill asking for $25m a year is because they know that worst case scenario, they have Patrick Mahomes.

They know their QB can mask deficiencies across the team whilst their talent is replenished. Fair play to Mahomes for not kicking up a stink and trusting Veach/Reid. Many QBs (**COUGH** Aaron Rodgers) would be vocal in their displeasure at losing their all Pro WR and their LT.

However, losing talent when your team is already losing games is a tough look. I guess if you are going to do it, do it when you've got a brand new HC.

It's a shame to lose a player like Dre'Mont. Like BB inferred - it tends to be those players who are just beneath the top tier that make it to UFA. They have flashed enough for 1 team to pay them like they are the player they COULD be, but their current team aren't willing to pay them for fear of them not being that player.

And then you cash those sweet comp picks next spring. 

24 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

And then you cash those sweet comp picks next spring. 

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yup and you can still add “FAs” by picking up some cap casualty veterans who are usually pretty close to the caliber of Tier 1 FAs.

Here's the catch though - you need to NOT spend on 1st tier FA's.   The formula incorporates contracts gained, and contracts lost (along with minority GM/HC hires from other teams).   

If we lose Risner and Jones as top-10 and top-5 contracts - we can't sign FA's at the top tier.   Now, if it's true that Paton & Payton plan to look to the mid-range & value tier, all good - but as a fanbase, if we support this strategy, then we're going to need to be patient with how FA plays out, and not freak out when we don't have any Day 1-2-3 signings.   

I personally don't have a problem if we go this route (although we'll def need a RT & D-line starter, but you don't have to go at the top either).    But more if ppl really want this route, they can't then wring their hands when there's very little action on the acquisitions end at the top of the FA class.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Here's the catch though - you need to NOT spend on 1st tier FA's.   The formula incorporates contracts gained, and contracts lost (along with minority GM/HC hires from other teams).   

If we lose Risner and Jones as top-10 and top-5 contracts - we can't sign FA's at the top tier.   Now, if it's true that Paton & Payton plan to look to the mid-range & value tier, all good - but as a fanbase, if we support this strategy, then we're going to need to be patient with how FA plays out, and not freak out when we don't have any Day 1-2-3 signings.   

I personally don't have a problem if we go this route (although we'll def need a RT & D-line starter, but you don't have to go at the top either).    But more if ppl really want this route, they can't then wring their hands when there's very little action on the acquisitions end at the top of the FA class.

Yeah that’s why I mentioned the cap casualty veterans. They don’t affect the comp pick formula.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah that’s why I mentioned the cap casualty veterans. They don’t affect the comp pick formula.

Yeah absolutely - just if ppl get behind this then it’s the only way to go.  Might as well get that out there before next week goes down. 

Pretty much every offseason except 2015 it’s been a quiet start and the inevitable “we aren’t doing anything” calls come out.   This is one offseason where there’s a big pick incentive to let it play out that way.   

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:14 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Get a 3rd and move on. Can’t imagine this dude has anything to cry about, the Broncos have been very good to him.

Agreed. I like Court, but feels like another guy who is part of the losing culture. He's been treated incredibly well by this franchise. There is nothing for him to be complaining about IMO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Agreed. I like Court, but feels like another guy who is part of the losing culture. He's been treated incredibly well by this franchise. There is nothing for him to be complaining about IMO.

And TPak is a lot like Sutton, if not more reliable in terms of getting open, and getting more targets.  I like Sutton, but we need either picks and more cap room to beef up the trenches more.  

This new ownership group must have really put the clamps down on leaking, well, anything. A week ago all I was hearing was that George/Sean are going to be conservative and patient and bide their time.

As we found out that was contrary to what they did. 6 signings on Day 1. That’s Elway-level aggressive. 

• 1 month later...

I absolutely loved Paytons presser today maybe it's all cliches and every team has the same mindset but it hit different coming from him. He talked about rookie mini camps how they're trying to take a look at everybody so they don't let a great player go out the door and play for someone else. He also talked about how the saints always led the league in udfa retained and snaps played.

Also talked about 07 when He kept Pierre Thomas an udfa over a 4th round pick that same year in Antonio Pittman.

Edited by thebestever6

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I absolutely loved Paytons presser today maybe it's all cliches and every team has the same mindset but it hit different coming from him. He talked about rookie mini camps how they're trying to take a look at everybody so they don't let a great player go out the door and play for someone else. He also talked about how the saints always led the league in udfa retained and snaps played.

Also talked about 07 when He kept Pierre Thomas an udfa over a 4th round pick that same year in Antonio Pittman.

It makes a massive difference when you have a competent HC behind the podium

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 9:34 PM, thebestever6 said:

I saw that interview and I remember saying 'Pierre Thomas holy hell thats a name drop' 

I legit couldnt think of a more random player if I tried.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1