2023 draft thread

tyler735

6 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Not a fan of trading up for a RB, but it's definitely a need.

I usually am not as well, but it would be dependent on signing Carr for me. If they sign Carr that means the front office feels there is about a 5 year window they feel they can build a competitive roster with Carr behind center. If that’s the case, getting a versatile RB that many feel is a generational RB prospect would go a long way in adding a much needed game changer to our offense. Especially with Kamara’s likely suspension and not being quite the explosive game changer he used to be earlier in his career.

On 2/19/2023 at 10:58 AM, tyler735 said:
On 2/19/2023 at 4:30 AM, JMG5 said:

Not a fan of trading up for a RB, but it's definitely a need.

I usually am not as well, but it would be dependent on signing Carr for me. If they sign Carr that means the front office feels there is about a 5 year window they feel they can build a competitive roster with Carr behind center. If that’s the case, getting a versatile RB that many feel is a generational RB prospect would go a long way in adding a much needed game changer to our offense. Especially with Kamara’s likely suspension and not being quite the explosive game changer he used to be earlier in his career.

My thinking is inline with tyler's.  If they get Carr and realize their window in the next few years and they can trade up for Bijan makes a lot of sense as even if Kamara isn't suspended, having them paired together would be extremely powerful as it would allow for a lot more interesting offensive options including having Kamara lined up at WR more often.

If they don't get Carr though, then outside of having to give up maybe a 4th round pick if they think Kamara is going to get suspended/jail time, then no dice on trading up for a RB.

• Like 3

This was the Saints' haul in Goldfish's 7 round 2.0 mock draft.  I think it is more or less the ideal scenario not taking into account FA moves.

New Orleans
 1 29. Jalin Hyatt | WR | Tennessee
 2 40. Hendon Hooker | QB | Tennessee
 3 71. Gervon Dexter Sr. | DL | Florida
 4 115. Byron Young | EDGE | Tennessee
 5 148. Tank Bigsby | RB | Auburn
 5 167. Trey Dean III | S | Florida
 7 229. Jake Bobo | WR | UCLA
 7 260. Noah Gindorff | TE | North Dakota State

Looks like we are still in play for Derek Carr and have also had meetings with Hendon Hooker and Anthony Richardson. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming weeks. I've attached some tweets regarding our QB interest below:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Raves said:

With Carr in the fold I expect them to fall back on Hooker in the mid 2nd/early 3rd.  Let him sit and learn behind Carr before taking the reigns.

I wouldn't be against taking him in the early 3rd. Good value at that point.

If Hooker fell to the 3rd I'd be all for taking him. I have a feeling he goes late 1st/2nd round, which I think will be a little too rich for us after signing Carr to that contract. Another guy I wouldn't mind spending a minimal investment on (Day 3 pick), would be Stetson Bennett. I wasn't sure what to make of him given his size/age, but he looked great at the combine even compared to highly regarded prospects such as Will Levis. If we spent a 4th/5th rounder on him and gave him a couple years to develop, I think he could at the very least develop into a quality backup QB behind Carr and maybe we get lucky and he becomes more than that down the road. 

2 hours ago, Kingram said:

pff-mock-results.png

A+ pick in the 1st. We desperately need DL help. TE isn't a premium position in my opinion, but I wouldn't be against taking one. I would like to see a S picked somewhere in the draft. With how injury prone our secondary seems to be we need some depth at the position. I don't want Sorensen getting meaningful snaps.

Overall, solid mock. Would like to see us double dip at DL, but other than that I don't have any major issues with it.

So here's a new one from me:

#29-Calijah Kancey, DT Pittsburgh

TRADE:  #40 and #115 to Chicago for #54 and #64

#54-Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL Northwestern

#64-Zach Charbonnet, RB UCLA

#71-Jordan Battle, S Alabama

#148-Moro Ojomo, DT Texas

#167-Zack Kuntz, TE Old Dominion

#229-Justin Shorter, WR Florida

#260-Clayton Tune, QB Houston

This draft should shore up our DL with 2 actual DTs, and Adebawore is more of a tweener.  Charbonnet is a potential long term RB option, Battle can develop to replace Honey Badger, and the rest are bench/project players.

• Like 1

And one more:

#40-Jack Campbell, LB Iowa

TRADE: #148 and 2024 1st to Detroit for #48 and #55

#48-Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL Northwestern

#55-Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee

#71-Devon Achane, RB Texas A&M

#115- Moro Ojomo, DT Texas

#167-Dorian Williams, LB Tulane

#229-Nick Saldiveri, T Old Dominion

#260-Evan Hull, RB Northwestern

Giving up the 1st next year hurt, but getting 2 high caliber prospects in Adebaware and Hooker (who could be the QB after Carr) seemed like a fair trade off considering the expectation is to be picking in the later half of the 1st due to making the playoffs.

Ok, one last one:

TRADE: #29 and 2024 2nd to the Cardinals for #34, #66, #96, and #105

#34-Mazi Smith, DT Michigan

#40-Jack Campbell, LB Iowa

#66-Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL Northwestern

#71-Devon Achane, RB Texas A&M

TRADE: #96 to the Texans for #104 and #138

#104-Jaquelin Roy, DT LSU

#105-Nathaniel Dell, WR Houston

#115-Andrew Vorhees, G USC

#138-Colby Wooden, DL Auburn

#148-DeWayne McBride, RB UAB

#167-Matt Landers, WR Arkansas

#229-Nick Saldiveri, T Old Dominion

Lots of players brought in through the draft.  Not all will make the team, but plenty of competition to ensure the best 53 we can this year.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

So here's a new one from me:

TRADE:  #40 and #115 to Chicago for #54 and #64

#54-Adetomiwa Adebawore, DL Northwestern

#64-Zach Charbonnet, RB UCLA

#71-Jordan Battle, S Alabama

#148-Moro Ojomo, DT Texas

#167-Zack Kuntz, TE Old Dominion

#229-Justin Shorter, WR Florida

This draft should shore up our DL with 2 actual DTs, and Adebawore is more of a tweener.  Charbonnet is a potential long term RB option, Battle can develop to replace Honey Badger, and the rest are bench/project players.

Thus would be my ideal draft. I would love to double up on the DL early, but could definitely see us going with a WR if one starts to fall. Great job.