2023 draft thread

tyler735

Well that's not working for me.  Well here is a new one:

#29-Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

#40-Darnell Washington, TE Georgia

Trade #148 and 2024 1st for #48 and #55 from Detroit (about 8 players worth grabbing in this range)

#48-Steve Avila, G TCU

#55-Tuli Tuipulotu, DE USC

#71-Devon Achane, RB Texas A&M

#115-Jonathan Mingo, WR Ole Miss

#167-Dorian Williams, LB Tulane

#229-Stetson Bennett, QB Georgia

#260-Daniel Scott, S Cal

#29-Calijah Kancey, DT Pittsburgh

#40- Darnell Washington, TE Georgia

#71-A.T. Perry, WR Wake Forest

#115-Isreal Abanikanda, HB Pittsburgh

#148-Colby Wooden, DL Auburn

#167-Anthony Johnson Jr, S Iowa State

#222-Nick Saldiveri, OL Old Dominion

#260-Clayton Tune, QB Houston

This draft is a little more offense heavy that I would've liked, but things just sort of fell into place.

Here is the "Oakland fans can't say they had definitely better weapons" draft.

#29-Bijan Robinson, RB Texas

#40-Darnell Washington, TE Georgia

#71-Gervon Dexter Sr, DT Florida

#115-Colby Wooden, DL Auburn

#148-KJ Henry, DE Clemson

#167-Juice Scruggs, OL Penn State

#229-Gervarrius Owens, S Houston

#260-Stetson Bennett, QB Georgia

So let's just say that at pick #29 the following players are still available:

Bijan Robinson, RB Texas

Calijah Kancey, DT Pittsburgh

Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

Darnell Washington, TE Georgia

O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR Ohio State

Who should we take?  Also let's just assume we won't be able to trade back up for one of them and they will all be off the board at #40, so we can only get one of these potential difference makers and would need to look at other options later in the draft.

16 minutes ago, Raves said:

Bijan Robinson, RB Texas

Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

Who should we take?  Also let's just assume we won't be able to trade back up for one of them and they will all be off the board at #40, so we can only get one of these potential difference makers and would need to look at other options later in the draft.

It's a really tough one to answer right now. Hoping we get more clarity on Michael Thomas's intentions/future with the team. Also hoping we hear something on what is going to happen with Kamara before the draft. Then there's free agency, will Juwan Johnson, Marcus Davenport, or David Onyemata resign, or test the market?

With that said, I'd probably lean towards Bijan Robinson then either Washington/Kancey. I'm confident that Bijan could step in day 1 and become a big difference maker for us. I think Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be great too, but I have a feeling Michael Thomas is going to try to come back this year (based off his recent social media posts), which Olave, Thomas, and Shaheed could be a nice trio. Thomas works really well out of the slot, which is where JSN is at his best. I like JSN a lot, but we might be better off with one of the other listed options. 

7 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

It's a really tough one to answer right now. Hoping we get more clarity on Michael Thomas's intentions/future with the team. Also hoping we hear something on what is going to happen with Kamara before the draft. Then there's free agency, will Juwan Johnson, Marcus Davenport, or David Onyemata resign, or test the market?

With that said, I'd probably lean towards Bijan Robinson then either Washington/Kancey. I'm confident that Bijan could step in day 1 and become a big difference maker for us. I think Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be great too, but I have a feeling Michael Thomas is going to try to come back this year (based off his recent social media posts), which Olave, Thomas, and Shaheed could be a nice trio. Thomas works really well out of the slot, which is where JSN is at his best. I like JSN a lot, but we might be better off with one of the other listed options. 

Well let's just assume Juwan is back due to being given the 2nd round Tender, Onyemata is back on a 2 year deal, and Davenport is let to explore the market with us not signing any other meaningful DE by the time of the draft.  Also Michael Thomas is back on an incentive based deal lowering his cap hit.  Oh an in regards to Kamara, we'll say he's able to accept a plea deal that only gives him parole and anger management classes with the NFL suspending him 6 games.

11 minutes ago, Raves said:

Well let's just assume Juwan is back due to being given the 2nd round Tender, Onyemata is back on a 2 year deal, and Davenport is let to explore the market with us not signing any other meaningful DE by the time of the draft.  Also Michael Thomas is back on an incentive based deal lowering his cap hit.  Oh an in regards to Kamara, we'll say he's able to accept a plea deal that only gives him parole and anger management classes with the NFL suspending him 6 games.

I feel like most of that criteria is realistic and essentially what I'm hoping happens this offseason, but the Kamara thing feels optimistic. That video did him no favors, and wouldn't be shocked to see a full season or at least 10 games. Godell will be like a kid on Christmas giving a Saints player a suspension lol. With that said, I'm still leaning Bijon Robinson. He's widely viewed as a top 3/top 5 player in terms of talent (not accounting for positional importance) in this draft. Hard to pass that up especially with how lackluster our offense was last year. He would give our offense an instant boost (obviously Carr will help as well). 

12 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I feel like most of that criteria is realistic and essentially what I'm hoping happens this offseason, but the Kamara thing feels optimistic. That video did him no favors, and wouldn't be shocked to see a full season or at least 10 games. Godell will be like a kid on Christmas giving a Saints player a suspension lol. With that said, I'm still leaning Bijon Robinson. He's widely viewed as a top 3/top 5 player in terms of talent (not accounting for positional importance) in this draft. Hard to pass that up especially with how lackluster our offense was last year. He would give our offense an instant boost (obviously Carr will help as well). 

I'm typically on the Bijan train myself, but the Kancey and Bresee options are what give me pause.  We lack any real presence at DT and as a team that relies on a strong currently, getting a long term answer there would be huge.  I see Kancey as a mini-Darnold able to create a lot of havoc from the inside while Bresee is a much more capable run stuffer with the ability to get penetration as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raves said:

Bijan Robinson, RB Texas

Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

Kancey or Bresee

As much as I like the idea of adding another weapon to the offense, we desperately need to get better and younger on the defensive line. If two of the top DTs fall to us we have to take a swing on one.

I wouldn't be against trading back up into the first from #40 to grab one of the remaining prospects you've listed, but only after we've secured a DT.

5 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Kancey or Bresee

As much as I like the idea of adding another weapon to the offense, we desperately need to get better and younger on the defensive line. If two of the top DTs fall to us we have to take a swing on one.

I wouldn't be against trading back up into the first from #40 to grab one of the remaining prospects you've listed, but only after we've secured a DT.

OH yeah, I think one of the best possible options for the Saints is Kancey at #29 and then Mazi Smith at #40.  DL is set for years.

With our recent moves here is my new mock draft:

29. Calijah Kancey, DT Pitt

40. Darnell Washington, TE Georgia

71. Joe Tippmann, C/G Wisconsin

115. Jonathan Mingo, WR Ole Miss

147. Colby Wooden, DL Auburn

166. YaYa Diaby, DE Louisville

228. Matt Landers, WR Arkansas

259. Jay Ward, DB LSU

Been a great start to free agency and our needs have shifted a bit since the start of free agency. I hope we still add a guy like Poona Ford at DT to give us a nice rotation with the other 2 free agent DT’s we signed. As it currently stands we don’t have any true glaring needs like we had prior to yesterday at DT and RB. Doesn’t mean we have to be down adding at those positions, but it’s not nearly as urgent as it was.

I think my current top 2 choices (that should be available) for our 1st/2nd round picks would be Adetomiwa Adebawore and Darnell Washington. Love the potential those 2 bring. 

• Like 1

Guessing we grab one more DT in free agency and potentially one in the draft. As I mentioned Adetomiwa Adebawore is one of my top prospects for us to target in the 1st round. He has the versatility and athleticism to play both DE and inside as a DT. He’s the same size and more athletic than a guy like Calijah Kancey. Intrigued by both players, but think I’d go with Adebawore especially with Jordan getting up there in age and Turner not living up to his draft slot yet. Need an impact DE.