2023 draft thread

tyler735

Don’t think height is an issue for Adebawore in the NFL. His freakish combo of explosiveness and power should offset any height concerns. Reminds me of a more raw version of Dwight Freeney coming out. Both had that true “rare” athleticism for the position despite not having “ideal” height. Also love the idea of Adebawore helping our run game out with his ability to chase down ball carriers trying to get around the edge.

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Don’t think height is an issue for Adebawore in the NFL. His freakish combo of explosiveness and power should offset any height concerns. Reminds me of a more raw version of Dwight Freeney coming out. Both had that true “rare” athleticism for the position despite not having “ideal” height. Also love the idea of Adebawore helping our run game out with his ability to chase down ball carriers trying to get around the edge.

I'm not saying it's going to be an issue for him, I'm saying for the Saints, they seem to prefer their DEs to be 6'5+ and around 280lbs but willing to get someone lighter and let them gain weight like Granderson.

Just now, Raves said:

I'm not saying it's going to be an issue for him, I'm saying for the Saints, they seem to prefer their DEs to be 6'5+ and around 280lbs but willing to get someone lighter and let them gain weight like Granderson.

They generally have, but if a freakish athlete with never before seen type athletic numbers comes, sometimes those previous stereotypes get broken. On the flip side I don’t remember when they last took a 280lb DT. Both Adebawore and Kancey don’t fit the “usual” criteria for us, but obviously both are going to get quite a bit of attention with their athleticism. The one thing they both have that the Saints love is very high RAS scores.

New mock draft.

29-Bryan Bresee, DT Clemson

-TRADE-

#40 FOR #58, #103, 2024 4th

58-Adetomiwa Adebawore, DE Northwestern

71-Tyjae Spears, RB Tulane

103-Jammie Robinson, S FSU

115-Zach Kuntz, TE ODU

147-Kobie Turner, DT Wake Forest

166-Dorian Williams, LB Tulane

228-Elijah Higgens, WR Stanford

257-Anthony Bradford, G LSU

• 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned a couple months back, it sounds like Hendon Hooker is very much in the discussion for being picked in the 1st round. Looks like we are having an official meeting with him tomorrow. I’m not surprised that he’s viewed a lot higher by NFL teams compared with where many in the media have projected him. I am however surprised we are still exploring this option after signing Carr. I do think Hendon Hooker shares a lot of similar traits to a guy like Deshaun Watson (minus the sex offender stuff), so it wouldn’t shock me if he were to develop into a better QB than Carr in the long run.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

As I mentioned a couple months back, it sounds like Hendon Hooker is very much in the discussion for being picked in the 1st round. Looks like we are having an official meeting with him tomorrow. I’m not surprised that he’s viewed a lot higher by NFL teams compared with where many in the media have projected him. I am however surprised we are still exploring this option after signing Carr. I do think Hendon Hooker shares a lot of similar traits to a guy like Deshaun Watson (minus the sex offender stuff), so it wouldn’t shock me if he were to develop into a better QB than Carr in the long run.

I'm guessing the cost would be way too much, but even with Carr, it never hurts to start building tomorrow's team.

I personally don't think Carr will flop, but if he does, who's next up? Maybe Crablegs, maybe not.

26 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm guessing the cost would be way too much, but even with Carr, it never hurts to start building tomorrow's team.

I personally don't think Carr will flop, but if he does, who's next up? Maybe Crablegs, maybe not.

Suppose they might be doing their due diligence in case he starts sliding. I’d definitely be on board with trading up from our 3rd round pick to get Hooker if he is still there in the mid/late 2nd round. I agree though I anticipate Carr will be a solid QB for the next few years.

• Like 1

I have a feeling we take a QB in this draft, and if we pull off Hendon Hooker in the 2nd round, I certainly would be happy to have him. With that said, I really do think he goes in the first round likely a bit before we pick. 

A guy that I think we might come away with in the 3rd/4th round is Clayton Tune. The more I read about him, the more I like him as a developmental QB. Seems like he could be this years Brock Purdy. Clayton Tune was very productive this past season (also had a great year in 2021). He doesn’t really have any “elite” traits, but does still have quite a few good traits with no major weaknesses to his game.

Clayton Tune has solid size for the QB position. He was also pretty accurate at all levels of the field and had over 67% completion percentage the past 2 seasons. I’d also mention PFF has his adjusted completion rate at 79.5% and had him listed as the top QB in college football last year according to their rating system (not that I put too much stock into their rating system).

He’s also a solid athlete for the QB position and has shown he can be effective both improvising to make a play with his arm while on the run, or even gain a good chunk of yards with his legs. He ran a 4.64 in the 40 and had over 500 rushing yards this past season.

I’ve seen some scouting reports say he doesn’t have a great arm, but outside of guys like Richardson/Levis who have excellent arm strength (but are significantly lacking in other areas), Tune’s arm doesn’t appear to be all that different from other top QB prospects in the draft. For example, here’s him making a great off platform throw with plenty of velocity across his body. A very tough throw to make and he put it right where it needed to go

Here’s him launching a ball 55+ yards down the field on the money with pressure in his face

Speaking of pressure in his face, he has also been statistically one of the best QB’s in the draft at throwing under pressure and really doesn’t take very many sacks (especially considering how often he threw the ball in college). He seems to have a good sense of when to bail from the pocket/get rid of the ball and appears to get through his reads pretty quickly.

It sounds like the Saints met with Clayton Tune at the Senior Bowl, met with him again at the combine, and are having an official visit with him as well this week. Seems we are still in the hunt for another QB and I’m definitely on board with drafting him as a developmental guy that might be able to take over as a quality starter in a couple years while learning behind Derek Carr.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1