2023 draft thread

tyler735

56 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I've never followed the workout list or private visit list. I wonder how many players the Saints ship in for an up close look every year. 30? 50? 300? 

I'll bet the scouting dept. is working 18hr days, 7 days a week.

Yeah I'd imagine they are in overdrive right now with all the work they are putting in. It's my understanding that each team is allowed to have up to 30 official visits. I also recently found out that NFL teams are allowed to host prospects from colleges within 50 miles of the team and not have them count towards our official visits. So a prospect such as Tyjae Spears very well could have (and definitely should have) visited, but it wouldn't show up on their 30 official visits. Unfortunately LSU is a bit outside the 50 mile radius, so those visits would count towards the 30. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:06 AM, tyler735 said:

At this point my ideal scenario with our 1st 3 picks would be to get:

Round 1: Hendon Hooker (5th year option is so valuable with a QB)

Round 2: Jalin Hyatt

Round 3: Devon Achane

We have now officially met with all 3 of these guys. We’ve obviously patched things up a bit  at each of these positions in free agency, but I’d be thrilled to add any of these 3 players with our 2nd/3rd round picks.

Achane would be an awesome long term Kamara replacement. Especially with the likely suspension coming for Kamara. Achane possesses true elite explosiveness that could be a great mismatch with all the talent we already have on offense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really like that pick in round one. Might be a bit of a high risk, high reward pick, but there was no other option I would have preferred.

Board for our second round pick also looks amazing. Someone will pick Will Levis before us and then there should be a Tight End, maybe Hyatt or more D Line help still be available. Could also see us in the market for Torrence to replace Andrus Peat next year.

If we come away with 1 or 2 of these guys tonight I will be happy:

Adetomiwa Adebawore 

Keion White

Devon Achane

Kendre Miller

Tyjae Spears* (there’s a rumor about his knee having some red flags, but not sure if accurate. If so, would rather wait until day 3 for him)

Israel Abanikanda

Darnell Washington

Michael Mayer

Zack Kuntz

Joey Porter Jr

Brian Branch

Drew Sanders

Trenton Simpson

Hendon Hooker

Jalin Hyatt

Jonathan Mingo

Cedric Tillman

We needed to rebuild our defensive line and we did that with the first two picks. Finally invested some resources smartly instead of trading up and reaching for a player. I'm pleased with the draft so far.

Yeah Foskey and Bresee have the potential to be difference makers for us on the DL. Both possess excellent athleticism for their respective positions on the DL. Foskey basically tested exactly the same as Marcus Davenport on the RAS. Biggest difference being that Foskey was way more productive and refined coming out of college.

If Bresee hadn’t had bad luck with injuries the past 2 years, we likely wouldn’t have been in a position to draft him. He was the top overall recruit in the nation for a reason coming out of high school and lit it up his freshman year at Clemson.

RB in the 3rd. Would've rather we drafted a RB a bit later and went with a higher value position, but I'll take it. Kamara insurance. 

Can't really complain with that draft so far. We've done what was expected of us for once. Still need a DB, an OG and maybe a TE.

Absolutely love the Kendre Miller pick. The more I watch him play, the more I’m convinced he’s going to be a top tier RB. He possesses just about every trait you want from a stud RB.

He has excellent balance and change of direction ability similar to Kamara in that regard. Great vision and patience to find a small crease for a positive gain. He also has the burst and speed to consistently be a big play threat along with prototypical size for the position. I believe he is also the youngest RB in this class and has limited wear and tear, so that should allow him to hopefully have a lengthy (for a RB) career. 

Miller also had the best career explosive run % of any RB in this class (and last RB class as well), which is impressive considering there are some very explosive RB’s in this draft class.

Edited by tyler735

Just scanning through a "best available" list and mainly going off of RAS and positions of need, these are a few guys I would like for us to take tomorrow.

DT Adebawore - why not double up?

OG Zavala

CB Rush

C Wypler

OG Daniels

CB Trice

OG Bradford

LB Abdullah

TE Kuntz

I would prefer us to stick with rebuilding the trenches, but at this point I'm fine with whatever.