2023 draft thread

tyler735

I really like this draft.  Nothing really flashy, just a lot of solidifying the team across the board.  3 picks in the trenches, where games are won, and 3 more that provide depth at positions that we've seen become issues due to injuries in the past 2 seasons.

Although we weren't championship contenders the past 2 years, this is the type of draft that teams that are already competing/ready to compete are able to make to help ensure that they stay competitive for years to come.

I will say I like the Jake Haener pick a lot more now. I think I was initially having PTSD from the Ian Book pick from a few years ago. After spending several hours watching just about everything on Haener I could find, I have come to the conclusion that Haener is simply a much better QB than Book ever was.

Haener in terms of being able to get through his progressions, make audibles at the LOS, make quick decisions, and throw with anticipation is right up there with the best prospects in this class. In other words, I feel pretty confident that with the mental aspect of playing QB Jake Haener has everything needed to be successful in the NFL.

The issue with him is lack of prototypical size (which doesn’t bother me too much) and his arm is average to above average for a QB. His arm is far better than a guy like Book’s was and he can make most throws asked of him. Haener’s anticipation also helps make up for not having a top tier arm on some of his throws outside the numbers.

I think there’s a good chance he can at least become a quality backup QB for several years with his advanced football IQ and how well he can run an offense. Stranger things have happened and maybe some day he even gets a shot at a starting gig as he does possess some crucial traits to be a successful QB. Even if he won’t “wow” you with a cannon for an arm or elite athletic ability.

I will say, this throw against Boise State sold me on Haener’s ability to execute tough NFL style throws (a guy like Book never makes this throw):

6 hours ago, Raves said:

Wasn't Book more athlete and less QB?  I know there were some comps later on that Haener was similar to Brees.

Yeah Book was very limited as a QB. 
I’ve seen Brees mentioned as a Haener comparison, which there are certainly some similarities, but obviously that would a really optimistic outlook for Haener. He’s also been compared to Taylor Heinicke and Brock Purdy quite a bit, which is probably the most realistic outcome, which I’d gladly take as a backup to groom behind Carr.

I was already all aboard the Kendre Miller hype train as I feel we got an absolute steal on him in the 3rd round. With his combination of prototypical size, great burst and top end speed, top tier contact balance, ability to make defenders miss, great vision/patience, and physicality to run through tacklers, I would be very surprised if he is anything but an impact player for us at RB.

Jeff Ireland recently discussed each of the draft picks and I’m even more hyped for the Kendre Miller pick. Here’s Ireland’s response regarding his thoughts on Kendre Miller. Sounds like Miller had a ton of interest from other teams when we picked him.

Question: Moving on to third-round pick, running back Kendre Miller, this was a guy from a small high school in east Texas, who was kind of overlooked in recruiting and only had one breakout season at TCU. How did he get on your radar?

Ireland: “Well, we loved his size. It all goes back to height, weight, and speed. Loved his running style. He’s down-hill runner, runs with great pad level. He's got explosive breakaway speed in the open field. He's creative. He makes people miss. He can make two cuts in a real quick, really short area. He's got contact balance. He's 20 years old. He doesn't turn 21 until June (11). He's really young and just now coming into his own. And we just felt like, man, this is too good to be true. We felt like he was going to slip and fall to around where we could take him (in the third round). It's crazy, you always trust your own feeling, you trust what you see. We knew he wasn't being mocked very high and then we kept watching him and we kept watching him. I'm like guys, fellas, trust your eyes, you're seeing it right. And you're crazy, you never second guess yourself. But when you draft a player and immediately you get 26 text messages from colleagues in the league, some of them saying, "You son of a gun," or, "He was the next guy (on our board). He was our third-best running back." He was the guy no one was talking. He was kind of, maybe a hidden secret (to the public). We didn't feel like that. No, we've always liked him. He wasn't a late bloomer for us. This was a guy we were on pretty early and loved the tape, and I think he's got a huge upside. He's got to clean up his pass protection, but when he hits you, the defender goes backwards. So we feel like it's just a matter of coaching him up, get some technique. We feel like he can help us.”

• Like 1

I have really liked our offseason. Loomis and Ireland have done a great job at revamping the team through free agency and the draft. We didn't make any ridiculous signings. They spent what money they did have smartly. They paired a good free agency with, in my opinion, a great draft that addressed majority of the remaining needs after free agency. Now they just signed Foster Moreau to fill our last remaining need.

I'm very optimistic for this team heading into the season. On paper we are very talented. My biggest question mark is coaching (and injuries). I really hope Dennis and company can figure it out in year 2. I don't expect to win the Superbowl or anything, but anything less than a playoff berth is a huge disappointment.

Yeah I'd have to agree. Overall it appears this offseason has been a pretty big success for us. If I'm reading things correctly our cap situation should be much more manageable going forward as well. Feels like they have been really effective at getting out of a tough salary cap position the past few years while still being able to simultaneously do a solid job at rebuilding areas of need with the players we lost due to the salary cap. With our current roster there is no reason we shouldn't be competing for a playoff spot. We might not be favorites for a Super Bowl run, but with what should be an elite defense and if weapons on offense such as Michael Thomas can stay healthy, crazier things have happened.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah I'd have to agree. Overall it appears this offseason has been a pretty big success for us. If I'm reading things correctly our cap situation should be much more manageable going forward as well. Feels like they have been really effective at getting out of a tough salary cap position the past few years while still being able to simultaneously do a solid job at rebuilding areas of need with the players we lost due to the salary cap. With our current roster there is no reason we shouldn't be competing for a playoff spot. We might not be favorites for a Super Bowl run, but with what should be an elite defense and if weapons on offense such as Michael Thomas can stay healthy, crazier things have happened.

If we did nothing other than get Carr it would have been a success. If we didn't land Carr, we would be looking at likely having Levis right now. I'm not a Levis hater, but I'd definitely place my money on Carr being the better QB over the next 5 seasons. Nothing fancy in free agency, but that is good because you have to be financially responsible, especially after the necessary contract to Carr. We just have to get back to hitting in the draft. That's been our receipt for success (along with having a great QB).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

If we did nothing other than get Carr it would have been a success. If we didn't land Carr, we would be looking at likely having Levis right now. I'm not a Levis hater, but I'd definitely place my money on Carr being the better QB over the next 5 seasons. Nothing fancy in free agency, but that is good because you have to be financially responsible, especially after the necessary contract to Carr. We just have to get back to hitting in the draft. That's been our receipt for success (along with having a great QB).

I'd like to think our front office was smart enough to look towards Hendon Hooker (also had an official visit with Hendon) over Will Levis. There have been few "highly touted" QB prospects I have like less than Levis in the past 10-15 years. Given that, I'd obviously prefer Carr over Levis. When it comes to Hooker vs Carr, we went with the safer pick and I'm alright with that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hooker ends up being a good QB with the Lions. Grabbing Jake Haener in the 4th round was a solid choice as well. Definitely need to hit on some of our draft picks this year though, which I do feel optimistic about. I'd be surprised if we don't hit on a few of them.