Were Montana's 49ers disliked?

notthatbluestuff

Like any dynasty I think people got a little sick of them, but speaking for myself I never disliked them. I remember in 1993 or so I went to a Lions-49ers game (in an era where the Lions were at least mediocre) and the 49ers beat them 55-14, the Pontiac Silverdome was empty by halftime and my friends wanted to leave but I said let's go instead and sit in the empty good seats and watch the rest of this, we might not get many opportunities to watch a team that's this good.

Edit: it occurs to me that Steve Young was the QB that day, so not technically Montana's 49ers but same dynasty

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 3

Depended on who you were a fan of. The big things were, the 49'ers were new blood still in 81 and 84 (and between them they missed the playoffs and then lost the NFCCG), then they went one done for 3 years, went back to back and then that was pretty much it for the Montana era. So while they won 4, they weren't always the big boss that got in everyones way. 

In the 80's, I don't think they were hated by many people yet. Not too much was known about them or their corrupt jerk of an owner. 

By 1990, however, I couldn't stand them. I wasn't the only one who was starting to get sick of them (watch this clip at the 3:57 mark):

By early 1996, I think that more and more fans were getting sick of them (like me). That's when the 49er haters (which I consider more of a watchdog group than a hate group) website started. Eddie D was getting exposed more and more for the jerk that he was (after sexually assaulting a cocktail waitress, among other things), and it was disgusting how the media kissed this team's rear end as bad as they did by then. Also, as a Denver fan, I had to hear after SB 24 about how Montana is a winner and Elway is a loser for all those years, even though Elway played in SB 24 with a bad cold, and his defensive coordinator was running the wrong defense against the 49er offense:

Super Bowl XXIV - Part 1 (goldenrankings.com)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

In the 80's, I don't think they were hated by many people yet. Not too much was known about them or their corrupt jerk of an owner. 

By 1990, however, I couldn't stand them. I wasn't the only one who was starting to get sick of them (watch this clip at the 3:57 mark):

By early 1996, I think that more and more fans were getting sick of them (like me). That's when the 49er haters (which I consider more of a watchdog group than a hate group) website started. Eddie D was getting exposed more and more for the jerk that he was (after sexually assaulting a cocktail waitress, among other things), and it was disgusting how the media kissed this team's rear end as bad as they did by then. Also, as a Denver fan, I had to hear after SB 24 about how Montana is a winner and Elway is a loser for all those years, even though Elway played in SB 24 with a bad cold, and his defensive coordinator was running the wrong defense against the 49er offense:

Super Bowl XXIV - Part 1 (goldenrankings.com)

It's okay homeslice. I still like your Broncos. In the Pat Bowlen era. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe