Were Montana's 49ers disliked?

notthatbluestuff

No, but even despite all their success and dominance, you still saw relative parity in the NFC. 

Washington won 3 titles, the Giants won 2, and you had some pretty epic playoff games where sometimes they didn’t come out on top, unlike the Patriots who played in  almost 10 Super Bowls. The NFC absolutely owned the AFC for almost 2 decades.

So yeah, Broncos and Bengals fans hated the 49ers, but aside from them they were relatively universally respected or liked.

• Like 1

I'm a Dolphins fan, and I hated the Montana 49er's.  They were so good and stacked at every position.  They had NO roster holes whatsoever.  Only modern dynasty that compares is of course the Pats and both team were/are completely filthy with league rules violations.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I liked them for like a week after The Catch.  But then came the Super Bowl.  and the other Super Bowl.  they were hated in Cincy.  And most older fans still hate them, strictly for those two losses.

I wish Cincy would've beat them in that SB, and if Tim Krumrie hadn't broken his leg they just might have IMO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

No, but even despite all their success and dominance, you still saw relative parity in the NFC. 

Washington won 3 titles, the Giants won 2, and you had some pretty epic playoff games where sometimes they didn’t come out on top, unlike the Patriots who played in  almost 10 Super Bowls. The NFC absolutely owned the AFC for almost 2 decades.

So yeah, Broncos and Bengals fans hated the 49ers, but aside from them they were relatively universally respected or liked.

2 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I'm a Dolphins fan, and I hated the Montana 49er's.  They were so good and stacked at every position.  They had NO roster holes whatsoever.  Only modern dynasty that compares is of course the Pats and both team were/are completely filthy with league rules violations.

Yeah I accidentally left them off after the 1984 Super Bowl as well, but that makes sense.

On 2/1/2023 at 1:45 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

80s Niners were a little before my time, but they did a whole lot of winning - which fans of other teams don't tend to like. What was the perception of the Montana 49ers among most fans? Beloved team or were people largely tired of them?

I think they were a likeable team, especially when constrasted to the Cowboys

On 2/2/2023 at 7:47 AM, Swampbilly said:

That 1984 Super Bowl was stacked on both sides.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Really? Wasn't he the third string behind Brooks and Ickey?

He did start six games that year, but moved to a more part-time role after the emergence of Woods. He was still a key performer, though (maybe they drafted Woods because Wilson missed the 1985 and 87 seasons because he violated the NFL substance abuse policy). 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:48 PM, Swampbilly said:

I wish Cincy would've beat them in that SB, and if Tim Krumrie hadn't broken his leg they just might have IMO

I mean, 49ers did lose their starting left tackle (a good one) Steve Wallace three plays into the game. I guess since the 49ers won, people don't talk about that. 

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean, 49ers did lose their starting left tackle (a good one) Steve Wallace three plays into the game. I guess since the 49ers won, people don't talk about that. 

If Billups hangs on to the INT, the Bengals most likely win.  The ensuing FG drive puts them up 10

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Blame Joe.....I saw him cut block Wallace and take him out at the knees.  Dirty Move Joe!!!!!!