2023 Free Agency

Pastor Dillon

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I honestly think it’s going to be Bryce - Jimmy G will start while Young redshirts and sees very limited action (except in the case of an injury - which is likely with Garoppolo). 

Give him a full year to study film and get into a strength regimen to add some weight to his frame - if he could put 8-12 lbs of muscle on in a year, he’s probably a lot more likely to withstand the hits and protect himself from the impact. The football IQ and spatial awareness he’s demonstrated isn’t really impacted by positive weight gain, but his arm talent and straight line speed could improve.

Sitting Bryce for a year to improve his physical stature could pay significant dividends.

I disagree only because of all the college QBs, Bryce is considered the one who is "most NFL" ready (e.g. reading defenses, spatial awareness, etc.).  That being said, I could see Jimmy G as a backup and NFL guru to BY.  

But IMHO if BY & Jimmy G are here, I think it is a straight up dogfight to see who will start.

Your plan is smart and I would not expect any less from our fearless leader / mod @ET80

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I disagree only because of all the college QBs, Bryce is considered the one who is "most NFL" ready (e.g. reading defenses, spatial awareness, etc.).  That being said, I could see Jimmy G as a backup and NFL guru to BY.  

While I agree Bryce benefits the most in this class from live reps over mental reps - I don’t disagree that his sleight frame (not his height) is a challenge for him. I’d like to see him put on some good muscle - get a bit “diesel” if you will. I don’t think that’ll interfere with his physical abilities (might even enhance them if he’s incorporating speed/agility drills and sport-specific modalities - not just pumping iron like Zach Wilson did). 

Young is a 10+ year investment if done right, and 2023 is a bit of a flyer year in that window - winning seven games in that window would be an impressive feat next season, but definitely short of overall expectations of winning a Super Bowl. Let’s save Bryce for seasons where playoff pushes are the expectation (and maybe a shiny Marvin Harrison Jr to throw to).

23 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

That being said, I could see Jimmy G as a backup and NFL guru to BY.  

But IMHO if BY & Jimmy G are here, I think it is a straight up dogfight to see who will start.

I’m all for a competition between the two, for the record - if Bryce proves to be that guy, get him there. But Jimmy G is probably looking for a starting gig, so that Jets gig (assuming Rodgers makes a decision soon) and the Raiders gig looks more attractive to the FA.

Would be a nice competition, overall.

25 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Your plan is smart and I would not expect any less from our fearless leader / mod @ET80

There are a lot of falsehoods to unpack here (smart, fearless… mod) but don’t think I have much time with the kiddos home for spring break. 🤣

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 8:00 PM, jch1911 said:

I say we offer Jimmy G., 4 years, $100M ($20M SB)

Year 1 $13M +$5M SB (base salary guaranteed)

Year 2 $17M + $5M SB

Year 3 $22M + $5M SB

Year 4 $28M + $5M SB

Texans can walk in Year 2 if rookie QB is doing the d@mn thang

Jimmy G pockets $33M in guaranteed $$$ to be a mentor and help Texans back to playoffs

If things are working out, he is one of the most cost-effective starters in the NFL

He made $7M this year so big pay bump for him.

Edit: I am also cool with giving him an almost identical deal that Derek Carr got with Saints (salary cap witchcraft) without the guaranteed 2nd year

https://overthecap.com/player/derek-carr/2975

Maybe turn the base salaries into roster bonuses

IJS... lol

Amend it to be...

Year 1: $14M + $5M SB = $19M (fully guaranteed)

Year 2: $2M base + $15M roster bonus + $5M SB = $22M

Year 3: $2M base + $20M roster bonus + $5M SB = $27M

Year 4: $2M base + $26M roster bonus + $5M SB = $33M