Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/2/16247998/james-madison-fbs-fcs-upset-east-carolina-guys-dont-do-this

But this isn’t the first time James Madison has done this

James Madison doesn’t quite have the number of FBS big wins in recent memory that North Dakota State has, but they’re still there. The Dukes knocked off SMU in 2015, and own perhaps the biggest FCS/FBS upset outside of Appalachian State over Michigan, a 21-16 win over a 13th ranked Virginia Tech team in 2010. Even in recent losses, like to UNC in 2015, James Madison at least moved the ball and scored points.

And thanks to their budget, it probably won’t be the last

According to USA TODAY, James Madison has the largest athletic budget of any non FBS program, over $47 million, a budget slightly larger than that of South Florida, UNLV or Boise State. They play in a 24,000 seat stadium, and have kicked the tires on potentially joining FBS. At least one local columnist thinks James Madison would be a good fit for Conference USA.They could probably beat most of those programs.

So if you’re going to play an FCS team, why play one with a budget comparable to larger G5 programs, and one that competes for FCS titles, especially if you won’t get credit for beating a good team, even if you win.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

JMU dismantled ECU tonight. 34-14. It was 34-7 with about 2 minutes to play. They got a cheap TD in garbage time.

Check out the box score though (Rushing for JMU).

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/james-madison-dukes-east-carolina-pirates-201709020099/

Or the fact the backup running back for the Dukes had more rushing yards than the Pirates had in total.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

They play in a 24,000 seat stadium, and have kicked the tires on potentially joining FBS. At least one local columnist thinks James Madison would be a good fit for Conference USA.They could probably beat most of those programs.

So if you’re going to play an FCS team, why play one with a budget comparable to larger G5 programs, and one that competes for FCS titles, especially if you won’t get credit for beating a good team, even if you win

Was wondering if they'd follow ODU and make the jump.

• Like 1

Just now, Woz said:

Was wondering if they'd follow ODU and make the jump.

Me too. I think they are looking for a good conference to go to. The problem with moving up now into a good conference is that we have UVA, VaTech, ODU and now Liberty in the FBS. I read somewhere, right after JMU won the Championship, that ODU and Liberty moving up so recently, makes it harder for us to get an invite. Something about saturation of markets/crowd draw or something like that. 

I think for now, we'll continue to play in FCS until we get a good situation to come to us. I don't want to go to a crappy conference or go Independent like Liberty

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think for now, we'll continue to play in FCS until we get a good situation to come to us. I don't want to go to a crappy conference or go Independent like Liberty

Well ... then JMU is kind of screwed. While they just knocked over East Carolina and might do well in the American, it's balanced at 12. The MAC is geographically and regionally tight and unlikely to have a team raided from them, so there likely isn't an opening there. The Mountain West is too far and Conference USA now has 14 teams. Kind of leaves the Sun Belt and they're at 12 as well.