Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Thanks man. I'm also a nervous wreck for her.

Half the battle is just taking the leap to do something like that. My children all take after me, deathly afraid of anything that makes them vulnerable like this. They unfortunately have been stuck with the genetics that mean the best the can achieve is a team based sport where they fit the role players. The fact that she has natural talent and has performed before, sounds like some calming breaths and trusting her abilities is all she needs. Much like any sporting event, performing is her reward for all the hard work, I hope she has fun and kills it man.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 10:54 PM, Slappy Mc said:

Half the battle is just taking the leap to do something like that. My children all take after me, deathly afraid of anything that makes them vulnerable like this. They unfortunately have been stuck with the genetics that mean the best the can achieve is a team based sport where they fit the role players. The fact that she has natural talent and has performed before, sounds like some calming breaths and trusting her abilities is all she needs. Much like any sporting event, performing is her reward for all the hard work, I hope she has fun and kills it man.

Thanks. She was more of an exhibitionist (musically) when she was much younger (would sing anything in front of anyone) but got a bit more shy the last few years heading into puberty, so we're happy she's giving it a try. I know I was painfully shy at her age (even though I was good at team sports like you mentioned) until I took up the Trumpet and played for tens of 1,000s of people (*). That turned a shy guy who couldn't talk to girls (literally I was like Raj from Big Bang Theory) into a confident person. Because I learned that if you make a mistake, everyone hears it and you have to have the musical arrogance to say "hey I'm still good"  (kinda like a CB covering a receiver who gets burnt - they have to have that athletic arrogance to line up for the next play and know that they are still good).

The calming breaths will probably be for me. Your kids are probably older so you've dealt with this thing that parents go through, but this is my oldest and I'm going through that sweet torture of having to sit on the sidelines and watch your kid succeed or fail on their own merits and all you can do is help prepare them for that day and then wait. 

Seriously, I hope she has fun as well. The biggest thing is just getting up and trying it, like you said. That makes me more proud than anything.

(*) two largest crowds I ever played a solo for were a packed Lane stadium at VaTech (65k) and a mostly full Hoosier Dome (about 45k were there that day).

EDIT: Forgot I played a solo at RFK in 1992 when we performed at halftime. I believe it was against the Falcons so it was 54k there as well. Deion Sanders scored on a 99yard kick return for the Falcons that day. Gary Clark caught a TD and came running over to his college band 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Hey guys. I rarely ask for anything here and I never, ever, ask anything for me.

This is for my daughter (aka - my heart walking outside my body).

She is in 6th grade and auditioning next Monday for a major role in a musical at her middle school. She had performed in their musicals in 4th and 5th grade at the middle school but since she was an elementary school student all she could be was the ensemble. Now there are no restrictions on what she can go for.

Not sure if you've seen James and the Giant Peach but she is auditioning for "Ladybug" and is singing "Everywhere That You Are". This is the big song that the character sings.

She's a raw talent (no voice lessons yet - even though mom once was offered a spot as Kim in the National Tour of "Miss Saigon" - so she gets it from my wife) but when I tell you she can sing this song (albeit not as polished as this woman) getting the notes and hitting all the inflections, I'm not lying.

She's a bit nervous as this is her first audition for a role that will have a solo (which scares the crap out of her but as a musician I know that its a great confidence builder when you do it and you nail it and people are clapping for...you)

Anyway, I'm rambling and would really appreciate it if you could send a warm thought to the Universe/Deity/Bob Dylan/whomever...in support of her.

Here's the song (it's supposed to be a quartet but she has to sing the thing as if it was entirely a solo like it is here). 

Absolutely.  I started the tech group late in high school, if I could go back, I’d love to get involved in the plays/musicals much earlier than I did.  

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Absolutely.  I started the tech group late in high school, if I could go back, I’d love to get involved in the plays/musicals much earlier than I did.  

Thanks man. Yeah, music was the thing that changed the course of my life. I was great at sports but like I told my daughter, the times I've felt "most alive" was when I was performing solo for people. It's an indescribable feeling being that vulnerable and receiving the reward after a great performance. I met my best friend through music and when he was the cheerleading coach at American, he introduced me to, as he said it, "a girl on my squad you gotta meet"

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

@e16bballyou happen to catch that Bloomberg report late Thursday afternoon? 

Well-timed, as we’re watching Soto and maybe Ohtani and Yamamoto make their way into the division. 

You just can’t be crying poor and expect to compete in the ALE. Tampa is every bit as smart as we are, and the other 3 will intermittently employ brute financial force to bludgeon their way into the mix. Even if it’s just the ability to keep the homegrown stars around, it’s a game-changer.

• Like 1

Grant Paulsen

Shohei Ohtani payouts over the next 20 years, via today's reporting. Just hilarious. 

2024:$2M
2025: $2M 
2026: $2M
2027: $2M
2028: $2M
2029: $2M
2030: $2M
2031: $2M
2032: $2M
2033: $2M
-
2034: $68M
2035: $68M
2036: $68M
2037: $68M
2038: $68M
2039: $68M
2040: $68M
2041: $68M
2042: $68M
2043: $68M

This is nuts

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Grant Paulsen

Shohei Ohtani payouts over the next 20 years, via today's reporting. Just hilarious. 

2024:$2M
2025: $2M 
2026: $2M
2027: $2M
2028: $2M
2029: $2M
2030: $2M
2031: $2M
2032: $2M
2033: $2M
-
2034: $68M
2035: $68M
2036: $68M
2037: $68M
2038: $68M
2039: $68M
2040: $68M
2041: $68M
2042: $68M
2043: $68M

This is nuts

That seems like an awful contract to me at least for the rest of bus playing career but I’m sure he’ll make more than that in endorsement’s both in the US & Japan