Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So I'm going to miss the first two weeks of the regular season because I'm going to Europe with my wife.  We're heading to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam.  Anyone ever been to any of these cities and have any recommendations?  

My parents have. They just went on a river cruise down the Rhine river and loved it!

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

So I'm going to miss the first two weeks of the regular season because I'm going to Europe with my wife.  We're heading to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam.  Anyone ever been to any of these cities and have any recommendations?  

sounds awesome! Jealous. In Paris You are your wife will really like the Louvre. Its spectacular. Lots of great restaurants and many many sites to see while you are there. Enjoy a Cappucino from one of the sidewalk cafes and people watch which is always interesting. Hopefully they will light in the Tower at night which is awesome. 

Brussels- gotta have the mussels- second best in the world on to Prince Edward Island. And the Beer flows cold and plentiful. Amsterdam- definitely the museums (my favorite is Rijksmuseum) and consider taking a dinner cruise on one of the smaller boats in the canals. Its such a beautiful city with the canals and the art and the 6-2 and above Blonde hair beauties riding their bicycles- but hey you are going with your wife! Even check out the Red Light districts as its not just guys "walking the windows" mostly couple from around the world. Have a great time! It will be awesome. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

sounds awesome! Jealous. In Paris You are your wife will really like the Louvre. Its spectacular. Lots of great restaurants and many many sites to see while you are there. Enjoy a Cappucino from one of the sidewalk cafes and people watch which is always interesting. Hopefully they will light in the Tower at night which is awesome. 

Brussels- gotta have the mussels- second best in the world on to Prince Edward Island. And the Beer flows cold and plentiful. Amsterdam- definitely the museums (my favorite is Rijksmuseum) and consider taking a dinner cruise on one of the smaller boats in the canals. Its such a beautiful city with the canals and the art and the 6-2 and above Blonde hair beauties riding their bicycles- but hey you are going with your wife! Even check out the Red Light districts as its not just guys "walking the windows" mostly couple from around the world. Have a great time! It will be awesome. 

Thanks doc!

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Went to Paris last year. You don't have to go IN to Notre Dame, but at least go to it. It's amazing to witness from the outside. Cool area around it too. Obviously do the Eiffel Tower. That was cool. The Louvre was pretty awesome. Walk down the long street to Arc de Triumph. Also go down the rich district. We walked passed Rod Stewart there.

There's a bar there - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry's_New_York_Bar - claims to have invented the bloody mary. It was good. 

Plenty of bars there to watch sports if you need a breather too.

We frequented this bar - http://www.thepuremalt.fr/ - it's Scottish and a hole in the wall. You can name drop someone there I know and it may help!

23 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Mine are a bit more general (been to Paris, but it was over 20 years ago; haven't been to the other two but definitely want to).

It's probably way too late, but one thing you might want to investigate is renting a room/apartment instead of staying in a hotel. It makes it feel a bit more like living in the cities and you get a better flavor of what it's like.

Walk around near where you are staying and find a boulangerie (bakery), fromagerie (cheese shop), and patisserie (desserts). Only take what you are going eat that day or for that meal. Most of that stuff is not intended to sit in a fridge.

If you get a chance, ask a local for a restaurant recommendation they would eat at. Helps you find the little holes in the wall that you would have no chance of finding otherwise.

For Amsterdam and Brussels: try the mussels (I see @Doc Draper already mentioned that, but I'll second it).

Recognize the fact that you will stand out as Americans. Try to mitigate this by reading up on how to and how not to act. (http://www.athenaabroad.com/how-to-avoid-being-the-ugly-american/ is a quick decent read, even if it focuses for college age students; https://www.time-travellers.org/Historian/UglyAmerican.html is another one(*)).

I would highlight two pieces. From the Athena Abroad article: " In almost any city, showing skin in a religious building of any kind is considered very disrespectful. So if you are heading in a cathedral in Rome, Italy or Cadiz, Spain, grab a jacket or sweater before you go and cover up those shoulders!" (perhaps something for you wife more than you if you want to go into Notre Dame). From the latter one: "Think "business casual" all the times [for your dress]."

(*) An insightful person might recognize what I searched for. Searching and reading more along those lines will go a long way.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Mine are a bit more general (been to Paris, but it was over 20 years ago; haven't been to the other two but definitely want to).

It's probably way too late, but one thing you might want to investigate is renting a room/apartment instead of staying in a hotel. It makes it feel a bit more like living in the cities and you get a better flavor of what it's like.

Walk around near where you are staying and find a boulangerie (bakery), fromagerie (cheese shop), and patisserie (desserts). Only take what you are going eat that day or for that meal. Most of that stuff is not intended to sit in a fridge.

If you get a chance, ask a local for a restaurant recommendation they would eat at. Helps you find the little holes in the wall that you would have no chance of finding otherwise.

For Amsterdam and Brussels: try the mussels (I see @Doc Draper already mentioned that, but I'll second it).

Recognize the fact that you will stand out as Americans. Try to mitigate this by reading up on how to and how not to act. (http://www.athenaabroad.com/how-to-avoid-being-the-ugly-american/ is a quick decent read, even if it focuses for college age students; https://www.time-travellers.org/Historian/UglyAmerican.html is another one(*)).

I would highlight two pieces. From the Athena Abroad article: " In almost any city, showing skin in a religious building of any kind is considered very disrespectful. So if you are heading in a cathedral in Rome, Italy or Cadiz, Spain, grab a jacket or sweater before you go and cover up those shoulders!" (perhaps something for you wife more than you if you want to go into Notre Dame). From the latter one: "Think "business casual" all the times [for your dress]."

(*) An insightful person might recognize what I searched for. Searching and reading more along those lines will go a long way.

We booked AirBnB for the whole trip.  Saved a crapload of money.  

Thanks for the tips.  My wife has actually been to Paris 3 times already but this will be my first.  We went to Italy last year too, so I'm definitely familiar with the cultural differences (you wanna talk about having to cover up, we toured the Vatican).  Neither one of us really know what to expect in Brussels or Amsterdam.

• Like 2

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Maybe, although I'm starting to believe the whole "he's too smart to play football" knock that some of these prospects get.  

Eh, still not sure about that. I'd rather have a guy who can absorb a playbook and film that a guy with rocks in his head.