Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

2010 & 11: Gano missed 3 kicks under 30 yards

2010-2011: He missed 13 kicks from 30-49

Forbath from 2012-14, Forbath missed 6 kicks in those ranges. 

2012 Forbath was 94%, 2014 he was 89%. 

2012-2018, Graham Gano (all for Carolina):

• 0-19: 1 for 1 (100%)
  • 20-29: 42 for 42 (100%)
  • 30-39: 45 for 50 (90%)
  • 40-49: 55 for 67 (83%)
  • 50+: 15 for 24 (63%)
  • XP: 228 for 238 (96%)

2012-2017, Kai Forbath (three-plus years for Washington, part of a season for New Orleans, two years for Minnesota, a free agent in 2018):

• 0-19: 0 attempts
  • 20-29: 32 for 34 (94%)
  • 30-39: 38 for 43 (88%)
  • 40-49: 35 for 41 (85%)
  • 50+: 11 for 17 (65%)
  • XP: 169 for 180 (94%)

Gano was and is a better kicker.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I didn’t say Gano sucked. I said he was inaccurate in DC in mid range kicks from 30 to 49 and then, didn’t he hurt his quad or something?

I forget about the injury, but I thought Gano got injured, we brought in Forbath and then Forbath was Mr. Automatic and he replaced Gano. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Gano

On March 3, 2012, the Redskins tendered a contract with Gano establishing exclusive negotiating rights and guaranteeing him a league minimum salary.[11] He was once again forced to compete for his job after the team signed Neil Rackers.[12] Originally it seemed that once again, Gano kept his spot on the Redskins' roster after Rackers was cut by the team on August 27.[13][14] In a surprise transaction by the Redskins, Gano was released the next day after the team signed veteran Billy Cundiff.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Forbath

The Washington Redskins signed Forbath on October 9, 2012, replacing Billy Cundiff.

So, no, Forbath was not brought in to replace Gano after an injury. They cut Gano after he beat out Neil Rackers, signed Billy Cundiff, realized their mistake, and instead of going back to Gano hat in hand, they went with Kai Forbath.

51 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

But I can understand a couple not panning out. But when you have 5 top 20 nationally, 8 top 50 ranked linemen in the nation coming in and they ALL look mediocre at best. Thats coaching.

Cuse was aggressive and bullied that line awful using half the talent. And you could see on the field. What Cuse did have was very well coach and knew how to do their jobs on the field.

I don’t think it’s just the coaches, again, they were awful under Fisher too. They lost Francois last year week 1vs Bama bc their OL was bad. Taggert inherited Jimbo’s duds.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:29 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I HOPE so... its really frustrating the rest of us (especially me, I'm VERY salty right now)

Could be worse:

• Week 4: benched Golden Tate for Geronimo Allison due to thinking that Tate would be used as a decoy if he played and the Packers WR corps meant Allison would get a lot more snaps ... the delta between the two (17.2 pts) turned a would-be win into a loss [this one was on me as I suggested the move]
  • Week 5: grabbed both New England and Cincinnati's defenses (had hoped to get Gates on the wire, but didn't line up), decided to go with New England against a decimated Colts offense ... the delta between the two (20 pts) would likely turn a loss into a win [depends on tonight, this one is on my son (I wanted to go with the Bengals, but he's the top man)]

Having both wins would have us sitting pretty at the top of our division and likely the highest scoring team in the league. Now we're down in the edge of making the playoff space.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

2012-2018, Graham Gano (all for Carolina):

• 0-19: 1 for 1 (100%)
  • 20-29: 42 for 42 (100%)
  • 30-39: 45 for 50 (90%)
  • 40-49: 55 for 67 (83%)
  • 50+: 15 for 24 (63%)
  • XP: 228 for 238 (96%)

2012-2017, Kai Forbath (three-plus years for Washington, part of a season for New Orleans, two years for Minnesota, a free agent in 2018):

• 0-19: 0 attempts
  • 20-29: 32 for 34 (94%)
  • 30-39: 38 for 43 (88%)
  • 40-49: 35 for 41 (85%)
  • 50+: 11 for 17 (65%)
  • XP: 169 for 180 (94%)

Gano was and is a better kicker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Gano

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Forbath

So, no, Forbath was not brought in to replace Gano after an injury. They cut Gano after he beat out Neil Rackers, signed Billy Cundiff, realized their mistake, and instead of going back to Gano hat in hand, they went with Kai Forbath.

My gosh, conveintely leave out 2010 & 2011 for Gano.

What do you take me for a damn fool?

What matters for Gano is that he struggled for us some. Shanahan felt he couldn’t trust him and it’s hard to blame Shanahan for that. Gano wasn’t consistent for us - yes he had strong leg - but he wasn’t consistent for us.

As a Gm/HC you make decisions on what a player does in your uniform, not what they did once they leave.

Now, I’ll give others like Thai credit because they predicted Gano would get more accurate as he got older, but there was no way to know for sure. We needed accuracy.  

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

My gosh, conveintely leave out 2010 & 2011 for Gano.

Figured it was kind of apparent that I was comparing Gano after the Redskins cut him to Forbath but, okay ...

Graham Gano, 2009-2018:

• 0-19: 2 for 2 (100%)
  • 20-29: 66 for 69 (96%)
  • 30-39: 54 for 66 (82%)
  • 40-49: 76 for 94 (81%)
  • 50+: 19 for 33 (58%)

So, if you add in his time with Washington, he has been more accurate at close range than Forbath over his career, and slightly worse than Forbath at longer ranges. What I was trying to show as that the Redskins gave up on him too early.

What matters for Gano is that he struggled for us some. Shanahan felt he couldn’t trust him and it’s hard to blame Shanahan for that. Gano wasn’t consistent for us - yes he had strong leg - but he wasn’t consistent for us.

1. You of all people are defending a Shanny decision? Really?
  2. Gano beat out the guy they brought in to compete with (Neil Rackers), but then they cut him anyway for Billy Cundiff.
    1. Cundiff at that point in his career (eight seasons across ten years) was a 76.7% career kicker on a 172 attempts. He would be 32.
    2. Gano's career completion rate at that point was 73.8% on 80 attempts. He would be 25.
    3. Cundiff was cut five games into the 2012 season after going 7 for 12 (58.3%).
  3. Gano's trajectory was heading upwards.
  4. You want those on the forum to slow their roll with declaring Doctson a bust and looking to replace him, but you are fine with cutting a young kicker after two years. Should we being practicing patience or using the quick hook? You cannot have it both ways.

As a Gm/HC you make decisions on what a player does in your uniform, not what they did once they leave.

But you can evaluate how good your decision was by seeing what the player did after they left.

This ... was not good.

Now, I’ll give others like Thai credit because they predicted Gano would get more accurate as he got older, but there was no way to know for sure. We needed accuracy.

SO THEY WENT AND SIGNED BILLY FREAKIN' CUNDIFF!?! Given how many kickers this franchise has gone through over the years, why on Earth do you think it was a good idea to drop a guy was young and promising?

Also, even if I accept your premise that Shanahan valued accuracy over range, why did he drop Forbath one game into the 2015 season? Going into that season, he was 88.1% kicker and even though he went 2 for 4 in that first game, he ended his career in Washington 60 for 69 (87%), or the second most accurate kicker in Redskins history(*). Had the Redskins stayed the course, they would have kept a guy who looks to have just slightly behind Forbath but has a stronger leg.

It was a stupid decision when made at the time, and in hindsight looks even dumber.

(*) Forbath is second because the guy in first place (Nick Rose) went 10 for 11 and thus qualifies based on a minimum of ten attempts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think it’s just the coaches, again, they were awful under Fisher too. They lost Francois last year week 1vs Bama bc their OL was bad. Taggert inherited Jimbo’s duds.

Jimbo loaded that team with talent. Taggart eother can’t motivate them or has a crap scheme. They signed like 5 5-stars in 2017. If he can’t win now, it’s not gonna any better I’d guess

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Jimbo loaded that team with talent. Taggart eother can’t motivate them or has a crap scheme. They signed like 5 5-stars in 2017. If he can’t win now, it’s not gonna any better I’d guess

My point went over your head. Their offensive line sucks, that didn’t just happen this year. Their offensive line sucked last year too. 

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Taggert has sucked everywhere. His coaching record isn’t impressive at all. I don’t even understand why FSU went all out to get him? 

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Taggert has sucked everywhere. His coaching record isn’t impressive at all. I don’t even understand why FSU went all out to get him? 

Yeah, I can’t believe that they couldn’t get a better HC. Even someone like Sumlin 

2 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Any interest in Ereck Flowers? He's bad disastrous and doesn't care,but with Callahan coaching,maybe he could be a serviceable backup or put him at guard?

that's all I have to say about that ...