Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

20 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

BTW - if I recall corrctly, the FCS Division I-AA is the highest division in college football to hold a playoff tournament sanctioned by the NCAA to determine its champion. The 4 team "playoff" used by the FBS Division I-A is not sanctioned by the NCAA.

So yeah, the current FBS Division I-A "playoff" can and should be expanded.

I was like, no, that cannot be, but ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

The College Football Playoff (CFP) is an annual postseason knockout tournament to determine a national champion of the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) A (D1A), the highest level of college footballcompetition in the United States. The inaugural tournament was held at the end of the 2014 NCAA Division I FBS D1A football season. Four teams play in two semifinal games, and the winner of each semifinal advances to the College Football Playoff National Championship game.

The College Football Playoff is not an officially sanctioned championship event by the NCAA, the sport's governing body. The NCAA has never recognized an official national championship for FBS D1A football, instead merely recognizing the decisions made any of a number of independent major championship selectors. Consequently, Division I FBS D1A football is the only NCAA sport in which a yearly national champion is not determined by an NCAA event, nor is an official NCAA national championship awarded.

This is just an extension of the NCAA inexplicably taking one of their biggest cash cows and turning it over to a bunch of third parties (the bowl committees). I never understood that then, and still don't understand it now.

Honestly, if the NCAA said "okay, we're going to do 12/14/16 team tournament where every conference champion qualifies and there will be 2/4/6 at large bids given out using a committee whose population will be determined a bit later; if you aren't invited, you're welcome to keep playing your exhibition matches bowl games, but those won't count for records," do you think there would really be that much uproar? Heck, I could make the argument you limit it to ten teams (all the conference champions). Oh, Notre Dame, BYU, et al. will be locked out? Oh, that's such a shame. If there was only a way they could join a conference ...

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Ted Leonsis is a bad owner, heck, he brought the city it’s first major championship in 26 years and the first for the Washington Capitals bespite the fact that they’ve been contenders for the Stanley Cup since I was in elementary school in the late 80s.

He's a good owner for the Caps.

He doesn't give a crap about the Wizards, and it shows. It's not even benign neglect; it's outright don't give a crap.

Also, for as incredibly frustrating as the Wizards are and as much as Grunfield fails  sometimes as a GM, the truth is the Leonsis Wizards of this decade have been the best Wizards/Bullets decade since the 70s! 

Look at that 1" bar you just jumped over. Congrats!!

I know we want more, and we should expect more l, but we also can’t forget that the current Wall/Beal Wizards have given us a team that has been more competitive the last 5 years than any Bullets/Wizards team in nearly 40 years.

And yet, as they are comprised, they have repeatedly hit a 2nd round playoff ceiling. Like I've predicted for the past five years.

Now, they aren't even getting to that level.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

I was like, no, that cannot be, but ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

This is just an extension of the NCAA inexplicably taking one of their biggest cash cows and turning it over to a bunch of third parties (the bowl committees). I never understood that then, and still don't understand it now.

Honestly, if the NCAA said "okay, we're going to do 12/14/16 team tournament where every conference champion qualifies and there will be 2/4/6 at large bids given out using a committee whose population will be determined a bit later; if you aren't invited, you're welcome to keep playing your exhibition matches bowl games, but those won't count for records," do you think there would really be that much uproar? Heck, I could make the argument you limit it to ten teams (all the conference champions). Oh, Notre Dame, BYU, et al. will be locked out? Oh, that's such a shame. If there was only a way they could join a conference ...

LOL...I imagine you get "Forest Whitaker Eye" everytime you see FCS and FBS.

As for the uproar, yeah I do. Because every time someone suggests expanding the "playoff" in FBS, the same people come marching out to cry about the very things the article takes on (finals, extra games, etc...). Meanwhile the supposedly "inferior" FCS somehow manages to do it every year.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

LOL...I imagine you get "Forest Whitaker Eye" everytime you see FCS and FBS.

What are we talking about again?

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

As for the uproar, yeah I do. Because every time someone suggests expanding the "playoff" in FBS I-A, the same people come marching out to cry about the very things the article takes on (finals, extra games, etc...). Meanwhile the supposedly "inferior" FCS I-AA, somehow manages to do it every year.

Oh I get that.

However, a good chunk of that comes from ... the bowl committees and the towns they are in. Because a NCAA-managed playoff is a direct attack on their finances.

Also, I-AA doesn't count so who cares about those kids? I mean, just because they're taking just as many hits as an Alabama player doesn't mean they should be paid protected like an Alabama player? :D:D:D 

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

What are we talking about again?

Oh I get that.

However, a good chunk of that comes from ... the bowl committees and the towns they are in. Because a NCAA-managed playoff is a direct attack on their finances.

Also, I-AA doesn't count so who cares about those kids? I mean, just because they're taking just as many hits as an Alabama player doesn't mean they should be paid protected like an Alabama player? :D:D:D 

Nah, FCS isn't a bunch of sissies like the FBS.

Not only do the Eagles seem better with Foles, I never thought about it before a few weeks ago when I was watching the Eagles vs Rams game but they were mentioning how Wentz is constantly getting hurt, and not just like muscle injuries, serious injuries like ACL, back etc.

They said that Wentz also had a back injury similar to this in college, so it seems to me that it could be a serious injury that has to keep dealing with.

The issue for the Eagles is that they’re sure to lose Foles in March, he’s going to get an opportunity to start somewhere like Jacksonville or somewhere else. 

I don’t see how they get to keep Foles. The Eagles are going to have to draft a mid round QB to develop and to compete with Sudfeld to be their back up next year IMO.