Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

As for the only people who care about FCS? FBS schools apparently do. Which is why they generally don't like to schedule the FCS teams that they think can beat them. NDSU is 6-0 vs their last FBS opponents (including I believe Iowa who was ranked top 10 when they beat them). Navy flat out refuses to play JMU anymore after we repeatedly embarrassed them (last time was in their own stadium at their homecoming) and VaTech refuses to play JMU after we beat them 21-16 (when they were ranked like #16) a few years ago. In fact, they scheduled a game with FCS' Rhode Island in 2019 instead of the team only 90 miles up the road. ECU got embarrassed by us so much they stole our coach. And we took NCSt to the wire this past year (had we had all of our defensive starters and not playing mostly freshmen on the OL, we win that game). Let's face it, when FBS is looking for an FCS opponent, they try to find the ones that really should be D2 schools. And not the FCS powers like NDSU and JMU who have almost as big of a budget and roughly the same amount of revenue (JMU revenue last year was $48m. Which places them at the top of FCS schools and about in the top 1/3 of FBS schools), who also recruit well...and can beat them. I mean, lowly Citadel in FCS was leading Alabama at the half during the season. Using your FBS bias, that game should've been a blowout from the opening kickoff.

I believe the Big Ten does not allow their schools to schedule any games against the Div I-AA teams at all anymore, on the grounds of making the games more competitive.

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There are a few other diseases in there, but on the whole, you are correct.  A lot of people are on the gluten free fad and it has nothing to do with actually needing to be on that kind of diet to survive.  

When I posted that, I vaguely recalled there being a couple of other situations, but basically, unless you are instructed by a doctor, it's really not doing anything for you. Props to you @MKnight82 for doing the low carb thing.

Oh, if you want to do the no gluten thing, watch out for dressings and sauces. They're packed (something I learned from my roommate's wife).

59 minutes ago, Woz said:

When I posted that, I vaguely recalled there being a couple of other situations, but basically, unless you are instructed by a doctor, it's really not doing anything for you. Props to you @MKnight82 for doing the low carb thing.

Oh, if you want to do the no gluten thing, watch out for dressings and sauces. They're packed (something I learned from my roommate's wife).

You have no idea.  I have folks who I know that love that Chick-fil-A sauce from Chick-fil-A, and it's packed with calories, grams of fat and everything else, and those people drink the stuff up.  Everything should be done in moderation.  

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I believe the Big Ten does not allow their schools to schedule any games against the Div I-AA teams at all anymore, on the grounds of making the games more competitive.

Or it costing them if they lose. When you're playing an FCS team that should be a D2 team, yeah. You shouldn't put that on your schedule. But what happens when an App State kills Michigan in their own stadium. Kills their bowl chances. Which is really why the Big 10 stopped it

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Or it costing them if they lose. When you're playing an FCS team that should be a D2 team, yeah. You shouldn't put that on your schedule. But what happens when an App State kills Michigan in their own stadium. Kills their bowl chances. Which is really why the Big 10 stopped it

That probably helped, but considering that was one of only a handful of losses the Big Ten suffered to the Div I-AA teams (maybe there was one or two others to like Iowa or Minnesota?) and that teams could only use it towards their bowl qualification record once every four years, it didn't really make much sense. Especially when they can get a <directional> Michigan from the MAC to be the opponent to beat up on Homecoming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

So I guess Harper is supposed to sign with the Phillies tomorrow. While I like the dude and wished he would stay I’ll relish in kicking his *** for the next 10 years. 

I honestly think this is the best deal.  This means you can entertain extending Rendon-  or be players in a much deeper FA class next year- and you have already added Corbin.  Hell, I'd take the chance on Kimbrel to lock the bullpen down if Harper signs somewhere else.  This also gives you a young, cost controlled outfield, and Soto and Robles will need to get paid down the road too.