turtle28

Things other than Redskins

We deserve everything we get for letting Sean McVay go. He has passion for the sport and he is an innovator.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

We deserve everything we get for letting Sean McVay go. He has passion for the sport and he is an innovator.

Not much we could've done to be honest.  Any of the other teams who have fired coaches to keep coordinators haven't had any success either.  And I doubt that Snyder and Allen would have let McVay implement the culture that is needed to win.  

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I was totally on board with getting him out of here. I thought most of our offensive problems were on him. I was very wrong. He’s an incredible coach. 

Losing McVay was inevitable. Anyone who acts like it wasn't is kidding themselves. No team would’ve fired their 50 year old coach coming off a 9-7 division winning season and a 8-7-1 season where we barely missed the playoffs to hire their 30 year old offensive coordinator.

It just wasn't going to happen and we weren't going to be able to keep him either.

There's also the fact that if we had Sean McVay as our HC, we still wouldn't have the Rams talent but I guess he could have hired Wade Phillips as def coord, still the talent on the Redskins roster is mediocre, so, the team is most likely going to be mediocre too.

Perhaps if we had McVay as our HC now, he does enough to get another win or 2 in each season, but not to 11 or 12 wins. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I was totally on board with getting him out of here. I thought most of our offensive problems were on him. I was very wrong. He’s an incredible coach. 

He only called plays in his last year, which was our best year.  In Gruden's first year, Jay called the plays and was heavily involved in the game planning.  I thought it was worthless to have an OC that year given how he wanted to be involved with the offense. 

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Losing McVay was inevitable. Anyone who acts like it wasn't is kidding themselves. No team would’ve fired their 50 year old coach coming off a 9-7 division winning season and a 8-7-1 season where we barely missed the playoffs to hire their 30 year old offensive coordinator.

It just wasn't going to happen and we weren't going to be able to keep him either.

There's also the fact that if we had Sean McVay as our HC, we still wouldn't have the Rams talent but I guess he could have hired Wade Phillips as def coord, still the talent on the Redskins roster is mediocre, so, the team is most likely going to be mediocre too.

Perhaps if we had McVay as our HC now, he does enough to get another win or 2 in each season, but not to 11 or 12 wins. 

The Rams are extremely talented. That doesn’t change the fact that they toiled around until McVay got there. And yes, I’m sure there’s plenty of teams that would fire a Jay Gruden type coach to hire someone the franchise was deathly afraid of losing. The issue being, McVay was never going to take the job if they fired Jay to keep him and Cooley already spoke on this. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The Rams are extremely talented. That doesn’t change the fact that they toiled around until McVay got there. And yes, I’m sure there’s plenty of teams that would fire a Jay Gruden type coach to hire someone the franchise was deathly afraid of losing. The issue being, McVay was never going to take the job if they fired Jay to keep him and Cooley already spoke on this. 

And it also hasnt worked out for the teams that have done it- I'm looking at the Bucs and Dirk Koetter and the Giants and Ben McAdoo.  

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Give me another example of a time in the history of the NFL when a HC coming off two straight winning seasons was fired for any offensive or defensive coordinator... Let alone a 30-year-old offensive coordinator with no head coaching experience at any level.

The answer is, you can't.

24 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Schefter is saying coaching contracts are hinting at a 2021 work stoppage- http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25749860/language-new-coaches-contracts-hints-possible-nfl-work-stoppage-2021

Probably have to be another lock out where the league won't allow the players to work, I doubt the players go on strike. They should, but many of them make so much money now that I doubt they go on strike.

This isn't the 1980’s and before, where many players needed offseason jobs in order to pay their bills bc the league/owners didn't pay them enough to live on.

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Give me another example of a time in the history of the NFL when a HC coming off two straight winning seasons was fired for any offensive or defensive coordinator... Let alone a 30-year-old offensive coordinator with no head coaching experience at any level.

The answer is, you can't.

9-7 and 8-7-1 are technically winning seasons but if that’s what you want to cling to, by all means. 

Marty Schottenheimer was 14-2 and got fired for Norv Turner. Are you done yet? 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

9-7 and 8-7-1 are technically winning seasons but if that’s what you want to cling to, by all means. 

For Spurrier 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Probably have to be another lock out where the league won't allow the players to work, I doubt the players go on strike. They should, but many of them make so much money now that I doubt they go on strike.

This isn't the 1980’s and before, where many players needed offseason jobs in order to pay their bills bc the league/owners didn't pay them enough to live on.

Yes, but as the profits expand from numerous things such as the TV deal, the players are going to want their equal share of the pot, especially since they are the ones with all of the risk out here. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Umm yeah... So I didn't say that's what I wanted. My point was HCs who have two winning seasons in a row don't get fired for an offensive coordinator on that HC’s coaching staff, and for sure not a 30-year-old offensive coordinator with no HC experience.

Nice try in trying to move the goal posts, I commend you for trying to not answer the question I posed to you.