Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

Where will Bryce be playing next year? 

The Nationals, and I think it would be a big mistake for them.  A pursuit of Machado instead of a Harper reunion would've made more sense, or making other moves in the wake of the Corbin signing.  Kimbrel would've put the bullpen on lockdown, for example.  I think they've been waiting Harper out with the biggest offer- but he wants more.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Nationals, and I think it would be a big mistake for them.  A pursuit of Machado instead of a Harper reunion would've made more sense, or making other moves in the wake of the Corbin signing.  Kimbrel would've put the bullpen on lockdown, for example.  I think they've been waiting Harper out with the biggest offer- but he wants more.  

Where would they play Machado? They aren’t moving Turner or Rendon. And as far as Kimbrel is concerned, they already have one of the best closers in baseball. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Where would they play Machado? They aren’t moving Turner or Rendon. And as far as Kimbrel is concerned, they already have one of the best closers in baseball. 

It's all about what assets you have.  You have a glut of outfielders without Harper- Taylor would likely be a starter on most other teams as a CF'er, but now you have him as the guy who can rotate days off for Soto, Robles and Eaton.  You have one year left of Rendon, so you move Turner to 2B, insert Machado at SS for the year.  Rendon walks, Machado moves to 3B, Turner back to SS and Kieboom goes to 2B.  

Or, as I said, you use the Harper money to make other moves, which could be an extension of Rendon as well, meaning they wouldn't need Machado.  

I'm not concerned about closers, managers should be using their best relievers in high leverage situations.  The Yankees last year had four, maybe five relievers who fit the closer profile- Kahnle, Britton, Robertson, Betances and Chapman.  You shouldn't pigeon-hole yourself into roles for the bullpen, but use them as matchup and leverage dictates.  Also, Doolittle has only one more year of control after this.  

Edited by naptownskinsfan

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd rather not let Rendon walk.

I get it, which is why under one of the options I'd weigh heavily on re-signing him.  In the Machado option, he has a one year future and he can either hit FA, or the Nats could work out a deal and put him at 1B. 

BAsically, the point is that the Nationals don't need Harper, and it was foolish of them to offer the original deal to begin with, and then negotiate against themselves right before Christmas. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Two options:

1. Machado plays 3rd, Rendon plays 2nd

2. Turner plays center field, Machado plays short stop.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Two options:

1. Machado plays 3rd, Rendon plays 2nd

2. Turner plays center field, Machado plays short stop.

They already tried Turner in CF and it didn’t go well. There’s no need to tie up that much money into a position you don’t need. If Machado agreed to play second then fine but I’m not moving two guys who’ve earned their position on the team. I can understand paying Bryce because he’s a drafted and homegrown talent but even still they don’t need him. But Machado just seems like a complete waste. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They already tried Turner in CF and it didn’t go well. There’s no need to tie up that much money into a position you don’t need. If Machado agreed to play second then fine but I’m not moving two guys who’ve earned their position on the team. I can understand paying Bryce because he’s a drafted and homegrown talent but even still they don’t need him. But Machado just seems like a complete waste. 

While I agree that Turner struggled some as a rookie in center, that doesn't mean it will always be that way. 

I don't think Machado has ever played 2nd, to my knowledge he's played on the other side of the infield only, at SS & 3rd. 

They could try Turner at 2nd. That could be a 3rd option that just popped in my head.

I agree with your last point, they don't need either of them bc of the young talent and vets they already have. I'd rather see them sign or trade for another pitcher than to give either of these guys a big contract tbh.

I'm excited to watch the Soto and Robles era.

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If anyone legitimately thought Lorenzo Alexander would turn into a top LB instead of a special teams ace/solid backup, I want you to pick powerball numbers for me.  No one saw that coming.  

Great job by Rob & Rex Ryan developing him, right?