Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ravens sign Michael Floyd, Shane Ray and Pernell McPhee. We seem to be moving on up in the world if the Ravens are signing our cast offs.

Or they're just bringing back someone that they know, that knows their system, is cheap, and didn't impact their compensatory picks.

Kind of like Washington could have with Ereck Flowers and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but didn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Or they're just bringing back someone that they know, that knows their system, is cheap, and didn't impact their compensatory picks.

Kind of like Washington could have with Ereck Flowers and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but didn't.

Definitely true 

23 minutes ago, Woz said:

@Thaiphoon, the Lady Dukes softball team just took a doubleheader from Michigan. Yeah, I know, not as glamorous as football or basketball (weeeee!), but got to like that they took a pair from "Big Blue" and are ranked.

Yeah, was gonna post something about it but didn't want to come off too much JMU JMU JMU rah rah.

The lady Dukes were pissed. We have beaten Michigan earlier in the year. Had a better record against ranked opponents. We were ranked 16th. Which was 3 higher than Michigan.

And yet, the tournament committee left us unranked in the tourney (ranking Michigan 15th) and then told us that no only were we NOT going to host the regional, that we would instead have to travel to Michigan instead. 

We lost the first game (1-0) on Friday in extra innings. Which was B.S. because the umps blew two calls at first base where the runner clearly beat the throw to first. This would've loaded the bases. So we had some home cookin' to deal with.

Then Megan Good pitched her tail off today (also hitting a HR) and we took BOTH games against Michigan (3-0, and 2-1) to advance.

Now we play #2 UCLA  O.o

25 minutes ago, Woz said:

Eh? Where'd you see/hear this?

It’s all over twitter. They don’t think he’s worth superstar money apparently. Hopefully it isn’t true but if the years of losing I sat through are just going to come back because the Lerners are too cheap to pay anybody then I think I’ll have to just move on. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s all over twitter. They don’t think he’s worth superstar money apparently. Hopefully it isn’t true but if the years of losing I sat through are just going to come back because the Lerners are too cheap to pay anybody then I think I’ll have to just move on. 

Kind of odd since they have paid people (Werth, Zimmerman, Scherzer, Strasburg, and now Corbin). They're one of the few teams that is seemingly willing to spend money.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Kind of odd since they have paid people (Werth, Zimmerman, Scherzer, Strasburg, and now Corbin). They're one of the few teams that is seemingly willing to spend money.

Have something like the 6th highest payroll in the league. You could make an argument it's more of the way Rizzo is allocating resources than the resources that are available.

46 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Have something like the 6th highest payroll in the league. You could make an argument it's more of the way Rizzo is allocating resources than the resources that are available.

I could hear that argument, but none of those payouts are of the "ohmigodwhydidwepayHIM?!" variety.

This panic feels like it is more based in recency bias: well we didn't pay Harper so we don't pay anyone! Let's see what happens with Rendon before we really start rending garments and gnashing teeth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woz said:

I could hear that argument, but none of those payouts are of the "ohmigodwhydidwepayHIM?!" variety.

This panic feels like it is more based in recency bias: well we didn't pay Harper so we don't pay anyone! Let's see what happens with Rendon before we really start rending garments and gnashing teeth.

Didn’t pay Jordan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Bryce Harper. The Lerners pay people willing to take major defers. And these are really the only examples we have because other than Ryan Zimmerman, we didn’t have anyone worth re-signing before. 

Rendon is one of the best players in the league and they’re the richest owners in baseball. They’re also in a major market. You can’t tell me it doesn’t look bad letting Harper and then Rendon walk. It also doesn’t bode well for Trea Turners future contract when they decide he’s not worth what the rest of the league believes he is. 

The Lerners are playing with Fire. If they let Rendon walk, a year after letting the face of the franchise walk it’s going to kick the fanbase in the nuts. A lot of fans accepted Harper leaving because it meant they were going to pay Rendon. You can’t let both walk and think the fans will be okay with it. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Didn’t pay Jordan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Bryce Harper. The Lerners pay people willing to take major defers. And these are really the only examples we have because other than Ryan Zimmerman, we didn’t have anyone worth re-signing before. 

At the same time:

• Jordan Zimmermann
    • ERA
      • Washington = 3.32
      • Detroit = 5.29
    • FIP
      • Washington = 3.40
      • Detroit = 4.91
    • WHIP
      • Washington = 1.159
      • Detroit = 1.403
    • BB9
      • Washington = 0.9
      • Detroit = 1.6
    • SO9
      • Washington = 7.4
      • Detroit = 6.3
    • SO/W
      • Washington = 4.09
      • Detroit = 2.81
    • Price
      • Washington (last two years) = $24M
      • Detroit = 5 years, $110M
  • Ian Desmond
    • AVG
      • Washington = 0.264
      • Texas/Colorado = 0.261
    • OBP
      • Washington = 0.312
      • Texas/Colorado = 0.320
    • SLG
      • Washington = 0.424
      • Texas/Colorado = 0.422
    • OPS+
      • Washington = 99
      • Texas/Colorado = 88
    • Games Played At
      • SS
        • Washington = 913
        • Texas/Colorado = 4
      • 1B
        • Washington = 0
        • Texas/Colorado = 165
      • LF
        • Washington = 0
        • Texas/Colorado = 113
      • CF
        • Washington = 0
        • Texas/Colorado = 165
      • RF
        • Washington = 2
        • Texas/Colorado = 0
    • Price
      • Washington = <don't have access to>
      • Texas = 1y/$8M
      • Colorado = 5y/$70M

So, two of those decisions look defensible. We won't know about Harper for quite some time, but given the price tag/length, I was okay letting him walk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Rendon is one of the best players in the league and they’re the richest owners in baseball. They’re also in a major market. You can’t tell me it doesn’t look bad letting Harper and then Rendon walk. It also doesn’t bode well for Trea Turners future contract when they decide he’s not worth what the rest of the league believes he is. 

The Lerners are playing with Fire. If they let Rendon walk, a year after letting the face of the franchise walk it’s going to kick the fanbase in the nuts. A lot of fans accepted Harper leaving because it meant they were going to pay Rendon. You can’t let both walk and think the fans will be okay with it. 

Again, this is a combination of Twitter panic and recency bias.

Let's see what happens in the coming year.

• Like 1

Congrats to former Wizards overpaid player Juwan Howard for getting the head coaching job at Michigan! Much deserved, he’s paid his dues. If he does well there over the next few seasons, I’d hope that Ted gives him a chance to replace Scott Brooks if the Wizards don’t improve... very likely!