Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well duh! Because most teams already have their own versions of Chris Thompson as a 3rd down back, or they just drafted a young RB in the last few drafts that they like in that role.

Also, Thompson is going to be 30 this year, that’s the age that most RBs truly fall apart and their career is done.

I mean for the Redskins, we signed McKissic for that role so, it’s clear we value the role and I’m sure we chose him over re-signing Thompson bc McKissic is 3 years younger.

With all of the injuries I'd consider Thompson to already be at the falling apart stage, or close to it.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a tough battle in camp sticking to their roster.  

On 5/1/2020 at 11:28 AM, turtle28 said:

I’m sure those 2 drops on those two 45 yard passes were Jake Fromm’s fault in your eyes. Also, the WR on the sidelines ran a poor route, not giving Fromm enough room to fit the ball in on the sidelines so he caught it out of bounds.  Those bad plays by the WRS wouldn’t  have shown up on the stat sheet.

The position players outside of Swift last year sucked for Georgia, that's the only reason Fromm didn't progress as a QB. Its plain as day when you watch the games that his WRs & TE aren't playing well, aren't getting open and are dropping passes.

Just in the first few minutes of that clip, I count two drops and a bad route by the WR on the sidelines that cost Fromm 3 completions which would have been about 150 yards and maybe a TD, and that's not even the whole clip.

Yes, Justin Fields is a better QB - as a Ohio State fan - I’m glad that Fields wasn't given the job over Fromm bc he may lead OSU to a national championship but, I'm not sure Jacob Eason is better as an overall QB. Eason no doubt has incredible arm talent but he makes awful decisions and from most reports isn't a great leader, I’d take Fromm over Eason at this point.

You would expect Fromm to start slow and build up his rapport as younger receivers (as well as the transfer WR and TE) grew and developed as the year went on.  Not regressing so badly to the point that he completed below 50% of his passes for five straight games.  For any QB that's not in the triple option, that is completely inexcusable.  

He had a fantastic running game and offensive line that succeeded in spite of the fact that for most games, Georgia was not a threat to move the ball at all through the air.  No games over 300 yards (though he came close a few times.). He went 9-12 for 35 yards against Kentucky.  Six games (excluding the bowl game) where he went over 200 yards.  

The guy sucked, and Kirby picked the wrong QB, plain and simple.  You can cherry-pick some drops here and there and try to tell me otherwise, but I watched every game for three years.  He isn't good.  Nice kid, but that's about it.  

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With all of the injuries I'd consider Thompson to already be at the falling apart stage, or close to it.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a tough battle in camp sticking to their roster.  

Usually I would agree but we all know Jay will find a way to keep his guy for just this season but, when he gets hurt it will probably be his last action in the NFL unless other teams have a lot of injuries and want him to come in at some point.

Don Shula passed away at 90. Obviously one of the most influential coaches in NFL history, coached the only undefeated team in NFL history and coached and developed arguably the greatest QB of All-Time, Dan Marino.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Don Shula passed away at 90. Obviously one of the most influential coaches in NFL history, coached the only undefeated team in NFL history and coached and developed arguably the greatest QB of All-Time, Dan Marino.

This really stinks.  Now we have to protect Tommy LaSorda at all costs.  

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Something to ponder 

For sure, and we have to consider that the 5th year option doubles the players salary in the 5th year to around $10 mil or higher. If the guy isn’t playing at a pro bowl level, you would assume the player can be re-signed on a LTD after his 4th year on a cheaper cap hit then $10 million dollars.

The perfect example is RG3 & Reuben Foster. Neither had earned their 5th year, $16 million & 10 million.