Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

16 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

From another article I read. Seems Dan has a small, hand picked group helping. Another being the guy who runs all his operations outside the Redskins. Along with a couple people that worked beside a couple past presidents. People that wont leak or reveal anything that he trust. Like nobody knew theyve been doing this for a month already, ahead of all the fuss until Ron stated it yesterday.

The problem that I think @e16bball is pointing out, is that Ron has something else he is focused on besides coaching and the football front office.  At this point, his role outside of football is at best Tony Wyllie, at worst, he might also be involved in some of the business operations.  

Not even Belichick is involved in the business side of his team.  Snyder is wrong to use Rivera as a mouthpiece right now, because he should have the guts to address the fan base himself after what he put us through to this point.  But if Rivera is also running something on the business end, shame on Snyder for not using Rivera's total control of the football operations to get his own business in order.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I just have to reiterate, I have no idea why Rivera is such a big part of this process. I get that Dan needs a buddy to do everything with and be his bestie BFF, but Rivera has been a Redskin for less time than Nate Orchard and Jester Weah. He’s coached as many games for the Redskins as I have. Why he’s leading this process is beyond me. 

He’s the head coach, main spokesman at the moment and has final say of football operations In the way that Marty, Gibbs 2.0 & Shanahan did. So that’s why, not saying I agree that he should be so involved, but that’s why he is. Also, I don’t think Rivera would be our HC unless he was also given total control/final say.

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The problem that I think @e16bball is pointing out, is that Ron has something else he is focused on besides coaching and the football front office.  At this point, his role outside of football is at best Tony Wyllie, at worst, he might also be involved in some of the business operations.  

Not even Belichick is involved in the business side of his team.  Snyder is wrong to use Rivera as a mouthpiece right now, because he should have the guts to address the fan base himself after what he put us through to this point.  But if Rivera is also running something on the business end, shame on Snyder for not using Rivera's total control of the football operations to get his own business in order.  

Rivera was the mouthpiece because Snyders been out the country the whole time. He spent a couple months in Bermuda, stopped into Maryland briefly before Americans all lost their minds, and has been in Europe since.

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Rivera was the mouthpiece because Snyders been out the country the whole time. He spent a couple months in Bermuda, stopped into Maryland briefly before Americans all lost their minds, and has been in Europe since.

Snyder can get onto Zoom or something and make a statement and field questions from the media.  It isn't that difficult.  

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Let’s be honest, Snyder has never been “a mouthpiece,” that’s not his forte. He’s an awful speaker in public and he’s socially awkward. That’s why he hires the team President‘s, GMs & HCs to talk to the media, it’s not something Snyder is comfortable doing and after 20 years of him rarely talking publicly to the media, I don’t see that changing.

So, as of right now, Rivera is the mouthpiece just as Allen, Shanahan, Gruden & McCloughan - for the time he was here - were last decade.

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Snyder can get onto Zoom or something and make a statement and field questions from the media.  It isn't that difficult.  

It is for him. He’s not going to do it. He doesn’t like to do media events/interviews.

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

For someone who always wanted to make the splash hire, signing, trade, etc, it is crazy to see him become this curmudgeon-esque recluse.

He’s the type that throws his money around but never does any talking. He tries to have his money do the talking but obviously there are some things money can’t buy, like respect.

36 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He's not Favre nor Mahomes ! He's 12-18 Q B .. 

Yes, but the issue we have - and have had since Alex broke his leg in 2018 - is that w/o Kirk we have been 10-22 the last two seasons, 6 of those 10 wins w/ Alex as our starter the first half of 2018. I don’t know about you, but I don’t call that improvement.

So, either your investing highly in a good to great QB and at worst being average and a playoff contender or your not and you’re below average. Now, we all hope that Haskins will be a good investment and get us back to the playoffs, but I can only imagine that if we had re-signed Kirk in 2016, 17 or 18 that our record over the last two years would at worst be 14-18. 

So, in my estimation - and most people’s  - Kirk was worth 4 wins for this team over the last two seasons and I think that’s being conservative. We definitely would’ve been a playoff contender in 2018, 19 and in 2020 if Kirk was still here, which we aren’t right now - at least not on paper.

There’s also the fact that since Alex Smith broke his leg the team is 4-19.

That’s not good man.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, but the issue we have - and have had since Alex broke his leg in 2018 - is that w/o Kirk we have been 10-22 the last two seasons, 6 of those 10 wins w/ Alex as our starter the first half of 2018. I don’t know about you, but I don’t call that improvement.

So, either your investing highly in a good to great QB and at worst being average and a playoff contender or your not and you’re below average. Now, we all hope that Haskins will be a good investment and get us back to the playoffs, but I can only imagine that if we had re-signed Kirk in 2016, 17 or 18 that our record over the last two years would at worst be 14-18. 

So, in my estimation - and most people’s  - Kirk was worth 4 wins for this team over the last two seasons and I think that’s being conservative. We definitely would’ve been a playoff contender in 2018, 19 and in 2020 if Kirk was still here, which we aren’t right now - at least not on paper.

There’s also the fact that since Alex Smith broke his leg the team is 4-19.

That’s not good man.

Same goes plus maybe more if Alex doesn't break his leg . Can't  change things.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Same goes plus maybe more if Alex doesn't break his leg . Can't change things.

It’s too bad Snyder didn’t fire Allen back in 2016 or 2017. If he had I think Kirk would still be here.

Sure we can’t change it, but that still doesn’t mean that keeping Kirk wasn’t the right move. I would have loved to be in the playoffs the last two years like the Vikings and hopefully willing a playoff game like the Vikings did last year.

Instead it looks like we have one of the worst rosters in the league bc of how young we are and the question marks we have all over the roster; especially at QB.

Edited by turtle28