Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s too bad Snyder didn’t fire Allen back in 2016 or 2017. If he had I think Kirk would still be here.

Sure we can’t change it, but that still doesn’t mean that keeping Kirk wasn’t the right move. I would have loved to be in the playoffs the last two years like the Vikings and hopefully willing a playoff game like the Vikings did last year.

Instead it looks like we have one of the worst rosters in the league bc of how young we are and the question marks we have all over the roster; especially at QB.

At Q B , Hell,  Even I like this kid ! --Till I don't !!

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, but the issue we have - and have had since Alex broke his leg in 2018 - is that w/o Kirk we have been 10-22 the last two seasons, 6 of those 10 wins w/ Alex as our starter the first half of 2018. I don’t know about you, but I don’t call that improvement.

So, either your investing highly in a good to great QB and at worst being average and a playoff contender or your not and you’re below average. Now, we all hope that Haskins will be a good investment and get us back to the playoffs, but I can only imagine that if we had re-signed Kirk in 2016, 17 or 18 that our record over the last two years would at worst be 14-18. 

So, in my estimation - and most people’s  - Kirk was worth 4 wins for this team over the last two seasons and I think that’s being conservative. We definitely would’ve been a playoff contender in 2018, 19 and in 2020 if Kirk was still here, which we aren’t right now - at least not on paper.

There’s also the fact that since Alex Smith broke his leg the team is 4-19.

That’s not good man.

Correct. Hence the 15-18% of the cap that most starting QBs should be taking up.

• Like 1

So, here’s a thought...

The IVY league just canceled their fall sports season, word is they are hoping to play this year's fall sports next spring.

So, if these restarts falter, like the NFL for example this year, what do people think of having the NFL next spring?

Like start the 2020 season in January, February or March. Then, after the season is over and the playoffs take a few months off and then start the 2021 season.

Thoughts?

37 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I really can't see an NFL season happening . more depression ! :|

I’ve thought that all along, or they’ll try but it won’t last, especially when we hit flu season in October. So, at best I think we get a month or two of the season.

I also think that NBA, NHL & MLB won’t be able to finish their 2020 seasons too. They’re going to try, but again I think that cases will flare up after a few weeks and they’ll be forced to shut down.

I really hope there’s a vaccine for next year and these leagues can resume next spring, as well as college fall & winter sports as well.

A company 5 minutes from where my parents live in Gaithersburg, MD just got awarded a $1.6 billion grant to make their vaccine and do millions of them. Novavax:

https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-announces-16-billion-funding-operation-warp-speed

Edited by turtle28

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Big10 will only play in conference games this year and their commissioner is very very worried about their being Big10 football this year.

This sucks for the FCS teams that were looking for the paydays to play and beat some FBS teams.

• Like 1

So I am not a doctor, but I can see this being an issue with Covid- air conditioning and being inside.  It's spread mostly through the air, which is where a mask comes into play to help prevent that spread.  The states being hit hard right now were the states that did just fine at the start- Texas, Arizona, Florida and California.  Besides Arizona, all three have extensive international travel areas, and Florida even shut down people coming from Louisiana (celebrating Mardi Gras) at the start.  

Now it's flipped, and I think it is because it is so hot and humid in those states that people are now heading inside to the air conditioner to beat the heat.  Meanwhile, the northeast, where we were inside because of the colder temperatures, are now able to be outside and many of those states are doing just fine with the numbers (they also didn't open up right away like the other states, so this is an interesting counterpoint to what I'm thinking.). 

So these places who are doing workouts and such now are getting hammered with positive tests because everyone just traveled in, and they are working out in closed facilities in close proximity to each other.  

So if teams could do a lot of their work outside, and really social distance the gym (or have players continue to work out at home) I think you could have a season without fans at the stadium.  But there are a lot of concerns even if this is the case.  

There's also a growing sentiment that I started reading about a month ago that the virus is becoming less virulent over time.  Some doctors in Italy are saying that the same virus that ravaged the country in the spring has now gone into a completely different, less involved/lethal strain, which is what happened to some of the other pandemic flus that we've seen over the years.  So a vaccine might now be the only thing that could help here.  

Also, let's not pretend that if any NFL team can't build or add more locker rooms throughout their facilities to spread everyone out.  In my job, one of our sister stores had the main water line rupture.  The facility is around 4400 square feet.  They cut a hole in the floor to access the main line, and you could walk from the front to the back of the store underground standing up with how much of the ground came out with the water as dirt.  The parking lot was caked in that mud.  Less than 48 hours later, they were open for business.  We are a multi-billion dollar company, and once the rupture was discovered, our recovery teams were there within an hour and corporate was getting other support staff booked for flights out that night. 

If an NFL team needs to do something like that, they can get it done quickly, no questions asked.