Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

JMU won its Quarterfinal matchup against a very good defense last Friday. While we had uncharacteristic penalties and mental mistakes on defense, our freshman kicker got the game winner as time expired. We move on to the semi finals and extend our D1-leading win streak to 25 games.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 5:58 PM, Thaiphoon said:

JMU won its Quarterfinal matchup against a very good defense last Friday. While we had uncharacteristic penalties and mental mistakes on defense, our freshman kicker got the game winner as time expired. We move on to the semi finals and extend our D1-leading win streak to 25 games.

Mount Union where Garcon and 3 of my cousins went won another Division III National Championship.

• Like 1

Mike Scott been on fire over the last six games. Last night he had 22 points on 9 of 10 shooting in the wizards win over the clippers. Over the past six games, he’s shooting 34 of 43 from the field (79.0 percent).

wahoo wahoo!

Edited by turtle28

16 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

JMU throttles SDSU by forcing 10 (yes TEN) turnovers and great running by Marshall. Extends its D1 win streak to 26 games

And is Frisco, TX bound for the FCS National Championship Game!!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits-james-madison-dukes-201712160196/

Everything is purchased on my end for the flight. Fired up to be going to Frisco another year!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 7:55 AM, turtle28 said:

Mike Scott been on fire over the last six games. Last night he had 22 points on 9 of 10 shooting in the wizards win over the clippers. Over the past six games, he’s shooting 34 of 43 from the field (79.0 percent).

wahoo wahoo!

Okay, I've been nice and not skipped mocking you regarding the Wizards, but you keep calling me so ...

Right now, the Pistons and the Pacers are tied for fourth place at 17-13 (with the Pistons apparently having the tiebreaker at the moment). However, both of those teams are closer to the tenth place 76ers (14-14) than the third place Raptors (20-8). And therein lies the Wizards' dilemma. I can no longer say the Wizards stink. They're actually decent when at full strength. Problem is they've graduated into the "upper middle class" of the NBA where they make the playoffs but have no realistic chance of making the Eastern Conference championships, much less the NBA Finals.

So, if you enjoy basketball, sure, root for them. Just realize that nothing they do matters. Tops, they'll bomb out in the second round like they have the past couple of years. If Wall is hurt, they're probably one and done, or perhaps out altogether.

This leads to the second problem: Ernie Grunfeld. Apparently, he and Ted Leonisis think the Wizards are just on the cusp of a breakout (Narrator voiceover: they are not). Since 2012, the Wizards have had a grand total of six draft picks (3 1sts, 3 2nds) out of a total of a possible twelve. Of those six, one was traded for cash (2014 2nd Jordan Clarkson), one has never played in the NBA (2015 2nd Aaron White), and one was traded for the rights to Kelly Oubre (2015 1st Jerian Grant). Six drafts have netted the Wizards four players: Bradley Beal, Tomas Santoransky, Otto Porter, and Kelly Oubre. Now, Beal and Porter are main line starters, and Oubre is a valued sub/spot starter.

Why is this? Because Grunfeld tries to paper over his mistakes by trading the future away.

• 2012 2nd - traded along with Rashard Lewis for Trevor Ariza (two years) and Emeka Okafor (one year)
  • 2013 2nds (Nate Wolters, Arsalan Kazemi) - both traded for Glen Rice, Jr. (grand total of 16 games over two years); while Kazemi never played in the NBA, Wolters played in 79 games and started 31
  • 2014 1st - traded this pick plus Emeka Okafor for Marcin Gortat, Shannon Brown (waived 3 days later), Kendall Marshall (waived 3 days later), and Malcolm Lee (waived 3 days later); now, you'll say this was a good trade. At the time, it was solid. The problem is that they re-signed Gortat to a hefty contract that compromised their cap space in later years. This has left them unable to find decent depth, which has been a problem.
  • 2014 2nd - aforementioned trade for cash
  • 2015 1st - aforementioned swap of rights of Grant for Oubre
  • 2015 2nd - in order to ditch Jan Vesely, they gave up this pick and got Andre Miller (played two years); of course, they gained this pick in the "get Nene, dump Nick Young, JaVele McGee, Ronny Turiaf" trade ... so maybe a plus? Notice, however, it's a papering over of past mistakes.
  • 2015 2nd - aforementioned White
  • 2016 1st - traded alongside Kris Humphries and DeJuan Blair for Markieff Morris
  • 2016 2nd - traded alongside rights to Jerian Grant (and a 2019 2nd round pick) for rights to Kelly Oubre in 2015
  • 2017 1st - traded alongside Andrew Nicholson and Marcus Thornton for Bojan Bogdonavic (played half a season) and Chris McCullough (played in nine games to date across two seasons)
  • 2017 2nd - traded for Tim Frazier, which I guess hasn't exactly been horrible but was somewhat necessary since Grunfeld cannot find a backup point guard

I was nice and left off the disaster that 2011 was. This coming draft may be the first time in three years the Wizards actually are able to draft a player and build some of that young depth that they desperately need. But I wouldn't hold my breath because they'll likely trade it away to "make a run," ignoring the fact that they do not have the depth to challenge one of the top three teams in the East and there is no realistic way of trading for that overall depth midway through the season.