Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Other than it being a QB of a team that you are a fan of, turtle, what does this stat tell you or I?

Look at the number of qualifiers on this: adjusted completion percentage (what's the adjustment?), on deep passes (how do you separate the QB's ability from his receivers' adjustments? are medium range passes not also useful?), returning QBs (they just had 5 first round QBs so that knocks him down a bit), from power 5 conferences (given that Carson Wentz and Josh Allen came out of a non-power 5 conferences, is this necessary?), and a minimum 40 attempts. I'm okay with the attempt limiting, but I think that might be too many attempts (over 3 deep passes a game on average? is that a nature of the system he plays in or the quality of the cornerback play in the Big 12?).

I'm not trying to bust your chops on this, turtle, but just showing how narrowly tailored this is. This is more a criticism of PFF than you posting it. I know that the likelihood PFF will put UVA's QB on one of these "in depth" articles is next to zero, so I could be some what envious (I don't think I am, but I cannot discount the possibility). Still, I think meaningless stat is meaningless, beyond a "hey look they're talking my team up!" angle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Other than it being a QB of a team that you are a fan of, turtle, what does this stat tell you or I?

Look at the number of qualifiers on this: adjusted completion percentage (what's the adjustment?), on deep passes (how do you separate the QB's ability from his receivers' adjustments? are medium range passes not also useful?), returning QBs (they just had 5 first round QBs so that knocks him down a bit), from power 5 conferences (given that Carson Wentz and Josh Allen came out of a non-power 5 conferences, is this necessary?), and a minimum 40 attempts. I'm okay with the attempt limiting, but I think that might be too many attempts (over 3 deep passes a game on average? is that a nature of the system he plays in or the quality of the cornerback play in the Big 12?).

I'm not trying to bust your chops on this, turtle, but just showing how narrowly tailored this is. This is more a criticism of PFF than you posting it. I know that the likelihood PFF will put UVA's QB on one of these "in depth" articles is next to zero, so I could be some what envious (I don't think I am, but I cannot discount the possibility). Still, I think meaningless stat is meaningless, beyond a "hey look they're talking my team up!" angle.

I really didn’t put that much thought into it. I’m just a fan of wvu and especially Will Grier; I think he’s going to be a good pro.

I will say that I’d still rather not see the Redskins take a QB in round 1 next year in the draft.

I have my eye on ILB Tre Lamar from Clemson in round 1 and Conor McGovern, OG from Penn State in round 2. They’re both very physical players and I think will be good for our team and help to continue a toughness winning attitude with this roster.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I really didn’t put that much thought into it. I’m just a fan of wvu and especially Will Grier; I think he’s going to be a good pro.

And I get that. I didn't want you to think that I was ragging on you for posting the stat (here I will parenthetically rag on you for being a Mountaineer fan :D ). I was just showing how pointless PFF stats like that are.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I will say that I’d still rather not see the Redskins take a QB in round 1 next year in the draft.

And I doubt they will due to Alex Smith's contract. More likely, I think they'll start seriously looking in the 2020 draft, unless someone falls into their lap unexpectedly.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I have my eye on ILB Tre Lamar from Clemson in round 1 and Conor McGovern, OG from Penn State in round 2. They’re both very physical players and I think will be good for our team and help to continue a toughness winning attitude with this roster.

A guard will likely be sorely needed (round one would be my target given the absolute dearth of workable options the Redskins have right now). I think we might also need to consider WR unless Doctson really breaks out. A Jordan Reed, move TE replacement might also be a target.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

And I get that. I didn't want you to think that I was ragging on you for posting the stat (here I will parenthetically rag on you for being a Mountaineer fan :D ). I was just showing how pointless PFF stats like that are.

And I doubt they will due to Alex Smith's contract. More likely, I think they'll start seriously looking in the 2020 draft, unless someone falls into their lap unexpectedly.

A guard will likely be sorely needed (round one would be my target given the absolute dearth of workable options the Redskins have right now). I think we might also need to consider WR unless Doctson really breaks out. A Jordan Reed, move TE replacement might also be a target.

McGovern may work his way up to being a 1st round pick or there’s a few interior OL from Wisconsin who are good players too; but I think it’s more likely they all go late 1st or 2nd round.

Yeah, Walterfootball has the Redskins taking a WR in round 1 in next years draft. My hope is just that Doctson breaks out this year and plays like the #1 he has the talent to be.

70-80 recs, 1000 + yds & 10 TDs

Definitelty TE too depending on what Reed does this year.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m at the Gaithersburg Book fair listening to John Feinstein talking about the history of the Ryder Cup! Pretty cool ?

Didn’t Mike Tyson knock a dude out in Gaithersburg after a car accident or something?

8 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Didn’t Mike Tyson knock a dude out in Gaithersburg after a car accident or something?

Yeah, that’s where I grew up. Mike Tyson used to have a house in Potomac, Alonzo Morning, Sugar Ray Leonard and many others. That’s where Dan Snyder’s house is also, his house back yard backs up to the Potomac River. I think the accident with Tyson was actually in Potomac Maryland where Tyson lived but it may have been Gaithersburg which runs right up to Potomac, Darnestown, Germantown and Rockville, MD. At one point, they all kind of blend together. When I used to live there and in Germantown, I used to take the back roads to get to 495 to avoid 270 and still do if I’m going to my parents house after work. I’d travel past all those mansions. It’s amazing how big those houses are. If you’ve never driven through it, it’s worth the drive up River Road and through the neighborhoods and other roads back there, especially at Christmas time, the light decorations they pay to have put on their mansions are amazing.

Edited by turtle28