Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

31 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am a big fan of Paul Johnson as a coach for what he did to bring Navy back from the brink, but man, he ruined Georgia Tech.  

All GT ever wanted was 6-7 wins and to make a bowl payout. They went to far with it and let things drag.

With the talent Georgia produces they should be trucking all over the Coastal yearly. Shouldnt be a long rebuild because of the instate talent though.

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

All GT ever wanted was 6-7 wins and to make a bowl payout. They went to far with it and let things drag.

With the talent Georgia produces they should be trucking all over the Coastal yearly. Shouldnt be a long rebuild because of the instate talent though.

His changing everything to the triple option has killed that program.  Even with in-state talent, they are going to take a while to bring that program back to relevance.  Nothing compares to the death penalty SMU got, but installing a triple-option at a school where they don't need it comes pretty close in my mind.........it's a self-imposed death penalty.  

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Willie Taggert set them back quite a bit.  Norvell is a good recruiter, but it may be a tough climb back up for them.  

I mean, UVA was pulled down by Groh's ineptitude, but FSU had so much further to fall.

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I should be more upset about this Georgia loss than I am.  I should be pissed, but understanding everything going on with Covid and such, I'm not.  

Given the number of upsets around this weekend, that's not a bad loss. Kentucky 34-7 over Tennessee? In Tennessee? Yikes.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

I mean, UVA was pulled down by Groh's ineptitude, but FSU had so much further to fall.

Taggert was pretty inept, but a lot of people place the start of it with Jimbo- https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841875-the-mess-jimbo-left-inside-fsus-fall-and-willie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again 

Mark Richt at Georgia was on the opposite end.  You had Jimbo telling his coaches "keep the players eligible."  Meanwhile, Richt coddled the players and they lacked the killer instinct to succeed in the big games.  

It is a bit easier to recover from what Richt did versus what Fisher did.  Kirby picked up the recruiting classes and soon had us playing meaningful games again.  FSU continues on the decline and is paying big money to two head coaches right now.  Jimbo lowered the standards and created a free-for-all, and it's still being felt today.  Taggert didn't have the chops to handle things at all and it spiraled out of control.  Norvell is going to have to rebuild from the ground up.  He's the right guy for it with how he approaches things.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Given the number of upsets around this weekend, that's not a bad loss. Kentucky 34-7 over Tennessee? In Tennessee? Yikes.

No points in the second half though.  

Kirby is in a tough spot with not being able to beat Saban.  Georgia has top recruiting classes, and aspirations to win the natty.  Getting to the SEC championship game and going to a NY6 bowl isn't enough.  He did what I wanted him to do, and that is change the offense.  With all of the things going on with Covid, we are a month into this new offense and also switched QBs, so I can't complain right now.  However, his next game against Alabama needs to be a win, or a 7-10 point loss.