Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

We had our first positive Covid-19 test today at work.  A good portion of people were sent home to self-quarantine, able to come back between the 14th-16th.  My boss closed that location early once it was found out, and engaged a company to sanitize the entire location.  He also procured face masks for everyone, which are mandatory starting tomorrow.  

Meanwhile, I've been working part-time at that location since mine is closed (and supplementing with PTO) and now I am taking a LOA.  My grandmother is 92, and my mom/stepdad are in their early 70's, so with this finally hitting me close to home, I'm done.  I have no concern for money at this point, so I am going to ride it out and do my "office work" from home.  Likely no more than five hours a week, but at least that will cover my health insurance premium.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We had our first positive Covid-19 test today at work.  A good portion of people were sent home to self-quarantine, able to come back between the 14th-16th.  My boss closed that location early once it was found out, and engaged a company to sanitize the entire location.  He also procured face masks for everyone, which are mandatory starting tomorrow.  

Meanwhile, I've been working part-time at that location since mine is closed (and supplementing with PTO) and now I am taking a LOA.  My grandmother is 92, and my mom/stepdad are in their early 70's, so with this finally hitting me close to home, I'm done.  I have no concern for money at this point, so I am going to ride it out and do my "office work" from home.  Likely no more than five hours a week, but at least that will cover my health insurance premium.  

Damn! I’m sorry man. I’ve been home since Friday, March 20th. Doing a lot of conference calls & zoom calls. It’s so weird, I usually drive like 100 plus miles a day bc my job is 50 miles from where I live and I’ve only driven 3 times in the last 3 weeks.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Damn! I’m sorry man. I’ve been home since Friday, March 20th. Doing a lot of conference calls & zoom calls. It’s so weird, I usually drive like 100 plus miles a day bc my job is 50 miles from where I live and I’ve only driven 3 times in the last 3 weeks.

I know youre in a high traffic area. How much time do you usually spend in a car a day for that 100+ miles?

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It's all good.  I've got plenty of money.  I just feel bad for my boss because he's slowly losing folks on his senior leadership team (of the 10 of us, two are on LOA, one is self quarantined and another is working from home) and he's got one of three locations (mine) currently closed.  We also lost a good chunk of the team at the start, and we are likely still losing a person per day at the other locations that are stopping work right now.  He's feeling the stress, and I know he's probably not happy about this, but I know he understands it.  I give him a lot of credit for maintaining hours for those who are still working, paying a heck of a lot of money to get masks for everyone and getting temperature monitoring equipment, and for being on top of everything in general.  He's also creating a team member fund for people if they need extra money- senior leadership will approve that on a case by case basis.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's all good.  I've got plenty of money.  I just feel bad for my boss because he's slowly losing folks on his senior leadership team (of the 10 of us, two are on LOA, one is self quarantined and another is working from home) and he's got one of three locations (mine) currently closed.  We also lost a good chunk of the team at the start, and we are likely still losing a person per day at the other locations that are stopping work right now.  He's feeling the stress, and I know he's probably not happy about this, but I know he understands it.  I give him a lot of credit for maintaining hours for those who are still working, paying a heck of a lot of money to get masks for everyone and getting temperature monitoring equipment, and for being on top of everything in general.  He's also creating a team member fund for people if they need extra money- senior leadership will approve that on a case by case basis.  

Wow! Awesome boss! I feel bad too for everyone but no one wants to die bc they went to work or get a family memeber sick bc they went to work. 

My GFs dad has lung cancer, she had to take him to the hospital and they are both quarantined right now in the same room there. She said she can’t even use her cell phone in the room, only when she goes outside. Then, they disinfect it when she comes back in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Glad to hear youre secured and can make best of things with no issues. See so many lately with it rough. A couple down my road. They bought a place and the wife just opened a daycare/preschool center this year. That got shut down. The husband is part of a restaurant his family runs. Theyve had to let go all but a couple cooks and reduced to taking orders out to peoples cars. Im concerned they might lose the center. Even my woman is out of action with all the gyms closed. She runs fitness classes at 3 locations. But at least she gets bored enough to keep the lawn mowed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I know youre in a high traffic area. How much time do you usually spend in a car a day for that 100+ miles?

Well, on days when I don't go have to go to DC and just to the office in Triangle - it's near Quantico - It's usually 2.5 if there's no accident. But, its taken me 2.5 hours to get home before bc of an accident.

When I have to go to DC it's taken me 2 hours before just to get down there bc traffic has gotten so bad. I usually give myself 2 hours before a meeting starts just in case of traffic whether I'm coming from MD - where I live or VA. And, I only live 25 miles from DC in Gaithersburg, MD. It's not like I’m way out.

When I have to go to DC and to the office in a day I usually drive about 120 miles those days and I'm usually in the car for 4 hours those days, 5 if there are accidents.

Most people at my job who just have to go to our office every day have no clue how much I have to drive and that I almost spend as much time in the car as I do at work! Haha 😂 

When my dad was working and it snowed really bad in 2010 it took my dad 7 hours to get home when people were stranding cars on 270. I was in Richmond for work then and I was going to go home but my dad made me stay bc of the snow.

Needless to say, next time I move I’m moving to Virginia. Either the Springfield area or maybe a little closer towards MD, like Annandale, Merrifield or Fairfax, but not way out in the County. You can't go way out in the County even though houses are cheaper there bc it will take just as long or longer for me to get to DC.

If I know I'm going to be in DC all day for meetings I’ll take the metro but at most it's once every two weeks that happens. I used to live in Silver Spring right across from the Metro which was really nice but my wife and I split so I moved back around where my family is in Gaithersburg.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 4:14 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Stay safe. Wish you the best.

• Like 2