Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

17 hours ago, Woz said:

And we all know what wins means in terms of QBs ...

C'mon now, turtle. Cam Newton and Alex Smith are not alike.

They aren’t alike but Alex Smith’s style leads to winning games. It has since 2011. He had an awful 2018 Skins roster at 6-3 after 9 games bc he was efficient- but not spectacular at all - and bc he didn’t turn the ball over which meant our D didn’t get put in bad field position like they did under Keenum, Haskins in the Browns game this year and under Kyle Allen.

By the way, just saw a PFF stat that Drew Brees is 31st in yards per pass, Jameis is 1st at near 11 yards.

Who would you rather have as your starter? Brees or Jameis?

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

They aren’t alike but Alex Smith’s style leads to winning games. It has since 2011.

Maybe with a better roster, but early returns in 2020 do not point to this being the case.

He had an awful 2018 Skins roster

Which was arguably better than what they have in 2020, at least on the offensive side of the ball.

at 6-3 after 9 games bc he was efficient- but not spectacular at all

The point I made back then and I believe still holds true now is that that particular style of QB play realistically on works when you are ahead and are willing to grind the clock in a ball control style offense.

So far this year, I believe Washington has only had one game where they came out and took the lead early and that was against Dallas.

Now, where I have been pleasantly surprised and need to apologize is that unlike in 2018 when they were down multiple scores and wouldn't press the ball, they have in the past two games. Once down three scores, the offense suddenly put its foot down on the gas and made what had been a plodding old gray mare of a scheme suddenly look like a Maserati. I don't know what changed beyond the score. Maybe a "eff it, what do we have to lose?" mentality? Maybe "I'm not going to let the 'he's just a game manager' types call me that again?" Maybe Turner said "oh, let's play no huddle/up tempo and see what happens against a poor defense?" Maybe the Lions went into a soft zone which allowed their talent-depleted team to actually start attacking instead of getting pinned back?

Whatever it is, if they are truly going to have any chance of competing in the playoffs (again I'm on record as finding this laughable, but I have been wrong before), they're going to need to find that fire throughout the game. They cannot wait until they are two or three scores down to come out and say "okay, now it's go time!"

By the way, just saw a PFF stat that Drew Brees is 31st in yards per pass, Jameis is 1st at near 11 yards.

Who would you rather have as your starter? Brees or Jameis?

I didn't think that was correct, but

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/advanced.htm

Washington is 31st in Intended Air Yards per Pass Attempt (Average depth of target, whether completed or not) at 6.0 IAY/PA.
New Orleans is 32nd at 5.4.

What's slightly different is Completed Air Yards per Pass Attempt
Washington = 2.8 CAY/PA (32nd)
New Orleans = 3.6 CAY/PA (28th)

So, New Orleans is getting a near yard more on completions, which is probably helping them move the sticks.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/
New Orleans = 39.2% 1st down percentage (8th)
Washington = 34.4% 1st down percentage (27th)

Random aside: props to the receivers on Washington. Tied for 7th with 5.2 Yards After Catch per Completion (raw total = 1146 yards, good for 9th)

On 11/17/2020 at 5:19 AM, turtle28 said:

@Woz That’s probably after Jameis played. Drew was 32nd in Air yards.

I totally agree with your counter post.

I would be a bit surprised that Winston in half a game would have raised it up that much, but I suppose it's possible. 

29 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

How do we pay it? It's a pandemic, and the athletic dept is already hurting

I guess the buyout drops by $3M December 16th. Talks of Trae Turner entering the transfer portal. A bunch of big donors have stopped donating. Fuentes time is coming to an end. Babcock should probably go too but that’s just me feeling that way I guess...

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I guess the buyout drops by $3M December 16th. Talks of Trae Turner entering the transfer portal. A bunch of big donors have stopped donating. Fuentes time is coming to an end. Babcock should probably go too but that’s just me feeling that way I guess...

No chance for me there. He's done a good job. Hindsight being what it is, Fuente was one of ... if not the ... hottest mid major hire that year. He got Buzz. Revamped the baseball program. Mike Young wasn;t the sexiest pick, but he had the basketball team battling last year.

Virginia Tech isn’t exactly a hot spot for the top players. I still don’t really understand why Michael Vick chose there over schools in cooler places or with better traditions. 

I hate to say it but Virginia Tech fans are living in their past greatness under Vick like Miami fans still think they are the team that attracts the talent they did in the 80s, 90s & early 2000s.

Maybe those days aren’t totally over for both schools, but it seems unlikely either school returns to being a National Championship contender year in year out again.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Virginia Tech isn’t exactly a hot spot for the top players. I still don’t really understand why Michael Vick chose there over schools in cooler places or with better traditions. 

Not anymore. But it used to be. We kept the top talent mostly in state at one point. Tyrod, the Fullers, Logan, Hall, Jones, etc. Mike Vick was an Heisman candidate and played in the national championship, then became the #1 pick. Seems like he picked just fine. It's not Blacksburg's fault. It's not like location SUPER matters. I don't care to ever go to Columbus, Ohio or Clemson, SC or State College, PA. If you have a coach that can relate and recruit, it's less of an issue. Fuente can't recruit.

I hate to say it but Virginia Tech fans are living in their past greatness under Vick like Miami fans still think they are the team that attracts the talent they did in the 80s, 90s & early 2000s.

Yes. 

Maybe those days aren’t totally over for both schools, but it seems unlikely either school returns to being a National Championship contender year in year out again.

Probably.