Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Honestly, if you're Washington, you do everything you can to set up for signing him in 2022. If this team is truly what we think it could be, 

Of course! 17 years too late, but better late than never!

Huh, not even a single comment about Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC and creating a 16 team super conference? I would have thought you would have had some thoughts, @turtle28, since it leaves West Virginia possibly twisting in the wind.

In my mind, does Kansas try to keep the Big XII together, or do they jump ship to either the Big Ten or the ACC to protect their basketball brand?

13 hours ago, Woz said:

Huh, not even a single comment about Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC and creating a 16 team super conference? I would have thought you would have had some thoughts, @turtle28, since it leaves West Virginia possibly twisting in the wind.

In my mind, does Kansas try to keep the Big XII together, or do they jump ship to either the Big Ten or the ACC to protect their basketball brand?

Ehh, I don’t really care about the SEC or really care about college football continuing to screw up the best college football rivalries of all-time.

If Oklahoma & Texas leave for the SEC I wish WVU would join the ACC. I want the WVU vs Pitt/Miami/Syracuse/BC & VT rivalries back from the 90s & 2000s.

“The 32-year-old entered Saturday's contest against the Czech Republic just behind Anthony's all-time record of 336 points. He scored 23 points in the United States 119-84 win, adding eight rebounds and six assists. 

Here is the Americans' top 10 leaderboard:

1. Kevin Durant, 354 points
  2. Carmelo Anthony, 336 points
  3. LeBron James, 273 points
  4. David Robinson, 270 points
  5. Michael Jordan, 256 points
  6. Charles Barkley, 231 points
  7. Chris Mullin, 196 points
  8. Dwyane Wade, 186 points
  9. Karl Malone, 171 points
  10. Scottie Pippen, 170 points

The Brooklyn Nets star also leads USA's all-time career Olympics stats for points averaged (18.9), fourth in games played, fourth in rebounds (88), third in most field goals, first for three-point field goal attempts (203), first in three-point field goals made (60) and tied for sixth in three-post shooting percentage (.526).”

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/nets_star_kevin_durant_passes_carmelo_anthony_as_all_time_us_olympic_scoring_leader/s1_13132_35508794?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20210801&mb_loc=left_h

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If Oklahoma & Texas leave for the SEC I wish WVU would join the ACC. I want the WVU vs Pitt/Miami/Syracuse/BC & VT rivalries back from the 90s & 2000s.

The ACC has no interest in inviting West Virginia. I'm not trying to be a **** about it, but if they wanted WVU, they would have invited them back in 2011 when the Big East was killed by the ACC collapsed. I suppose if there were literally no other options and the ACC wanted to become a superconference in their own right, then maybe?

Like I said, I could see the ACC possibly making a play at Kansas to add one of the blue blood programs in basketball. At the same time, the Big Ten could also move on Kansas (I suspect this would be Kansas' preference to avoid long travel routes), along with Iowa State. Both schools are members of the AAU (American Association of Universities), which is a requirement for Big Ten membership(*). West Virginia is not a member of the AAU, and as such will almost assuredly not be considered by the Big Ten.

So, if the Big XII collapses (and I believe Kansas is now the linchpin), West Virginia might be left twisting. If I had to guess, the American Athletic Conference would try to grab up as many of the remaining Big XII programs. The interesting thing will be if the AAC would take on the Big XII name to keep with the contracts that the Big XII has currently; I would expect so. Of course, I don't know if any of the bowl or television contracts have escape clauses should the membership of the conference change. I would assume that to be the case, but that's me just guessing.

(*) Nebraska is no longer a member of the AAU, but they were a member when the offer was made to them. Members of Nebraska's administration have said previously they do not believe the offer would have been made had they not been in the AAU.

Pre-OU/UT move power structure

Big Ten       SEC               HAVE NEVER BEEN RAIDED
  --------------
       Pac-12                   HAS NEVER BEEN RAIDED (geographically distant)
  --------------
  ACC        Big XII            POWER CONFERENCE BUT HAS BEEN RAIDED
==================
American    Mountain West       TOP GROUP OF FIVE CONFERENCES
  --------------
        MAC                     HAS NEVER BEEN RAIDED (but cannot gain either)
  --------------
C-USA       Sunbelt             BOTTOM TIER CONFERENCES (feeders for I-AA teams)

Possibility #1: Kansas and Iowa State stay put, raid American for teams like UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis (maybe grab Boise State from Mtn West); allows them to stay in the Power conference side of the equation (for a little while, at least)

Big Ten       SEC
  --------------
       Pac-12
  --------------
        ACC
  --------------
       Big XII
==================
   Mountain West
  --------------
     American
  --------------
        MAC
C-USA        Sunbelt

Possibility #2: Kansas and Iowa State leave for Big Ten, creating second superconference (Iowa gets bullied by their state government to protect ISU); American and remnants of Big XII merge; which side of the "power line" they fall on remains to be seen

Possibility #2 (ACC option): ACC grabs Kansas and then starts aggressively wooing Notre Dame to give up independence (if they want to join a conference, Notre Dame is contractually obligated to join the ACC until 2036); likely this would expedite the move to split college football away from the NCAA structure into its own beast. Big Ten and Pac-12 next moves would be interesting to say the least.

Big Ten       SEC               Big Ten       SEC
  --------------                  --------------
       Pac-12                          Pac-12
        ACC                              ACC
  --------------    ** OR **    ==================
       Big XII                   AAC/B12    Mountain West
==================                --------------
   Mountain West                        MAC
        MAC                      C-USA        Sunbelt
  --------------
C-USA        Sunbelt

Possibility #3: Big Ten grabs Kansas and one of the AAU members from the ACC (options are: Duke, Georgia Tech, Pitt, UNC, and UVA) to create the counter superconference to the SEC. UNC would be the #1 target as they would add reputation, athletics, and new geographic reach for the Big Ten. Duke and Virginia would be secondary options, but I doubt Georgia Tech (too far away to work) or Pitt (they already own the territory so just another mouth to feed) would work. The question is whether UNC, Duke, or Virginia would jump, especially if UNC or Duke was to depart from the other and the other Tobacco Road rivalries. I'm not sure UVA goes either (the General Assembly would try to pressure them to stay to protect VT).

I'm not going to lay out the power structure in this case because effectively this is the straw that breaks the NCAA hold on college football. It becomes a question of whether the three conferences (Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC) choose to let the remnants of the ACC and Big XII join in their new (officially) semipro league.

• Like 1

@Woz I agree with this. This sounds like the best idea for those remaining Big XII programs would be to join with the AAC & then the AAC should then just take on the Big XII name bc they have better contracts and is more well known.

6 hours ago, Woz said:

the American Athletic Conference would try to grab up as many of the remaining Big XII programs. The interesting thing will be if the AAC would take on the Big XII name to keep with the contracts that the Big XII has currently; I would expect so.