Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

On 8/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, e16bball said:

I wouldn’t have drafted Mond or Trask, especially not where we needed to draft them. And I’m not quite as chapped about Mac Jones, simply because I think we will still have opportunities to get a Mac Jones-level talent in the near future. 

With Fields, you just don’t get many chances to land a player with that combination of physical talent, arm talent, and mental talent. No guarantee that he actually becomes a star, but in terms of upside, this is a guy with a Deshaun Watson type ceiling that made it to pick 11. It’s disappointing to let an opportunity like that slip away, especially when you’re largely “a QB away” from really having something special here. 

The one thing I think we all are considering, though not specifically mentioning in these posts, is that it is inherently negative for this franchise to have to wait another year to get its future QB. We’re going to fritter away 2021 with Fitzpatrick and Heinicke, and then MAYBE we get our hands on a young franchise QB next year? In which case we will most likely we fritter away 2022 dealing with rookie growing pains. 

Getting a Fields or a Jones in house means there’s at least a chance that we could have been meaningfully competitive next season.  Missing out on them means any possible SB window is likely moved back to 2023, at best, unless they trade for an established veteran star.

I meant taking Trask or Mond in round 2, not round 1.

I definitely am with you about Fields. I also 100% agree with your last 2 paragraphs, we’re speaking the same language. We’re just delaying the inevitable of when we’ll have to draft a qb to develop and every year we do that our defensive window with this young dominant DL gets one year shorter.

Teddy Bridgewater beat out Drew Lock for the Broncos’ starting job. 

They’re probably still not that interested in trading Lock, and I personally wouldn’t be interested if they were, but does anyone think this is something to keep an eye on?

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Teddy Bridgewater beat out Drew Lock for the Broncos’ starting job. 

They’re probably still not that interested in trading Lock, and I personally wouldn’t be interested if they were, but does anyone think this is something to keep an eye on?

I don’t think so. Their QB situation is one where both guys will likely play during the year at some point, similar to ours. I don’t think they’ll trade Lock.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Nothing official, but sounds like Thaddeus Moss is going to make the 53 in Cincy. 

He would’ve made ours if we had kept him IMO, or he should have over Reyes & Seals-Jones.

I’m still hoping a decent back up TE gets cut because that other team had drafted someone they liked and we pick up whoever that veteran is.

Edited by turtle28