Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Pat Freiermuth had 7 receptions for 58 yards in the Steelers win last night. Another player we could’ve taken instead of Cosmi, who I love but, we could’ve/should’ve drafted Pat F or JOK in round 2 and kept Moses.

Cosmi has had as big an impact as Pat this season. I'll take the combo of what Cosmi and RSJ have done (and I'm not a RSJ guy) over just having Pat right now. 

@Thaiphoon - https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32432496/six-schools-officially-apply-join-american-athletic-conference

Figure they aren't applying if they haven't already been told they'll be accepted.

This would leave C-USA with just

• Florida International
  • Louisiana Tech
  • Marshall
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Old Dominion
  • Southern Miss
  • UTEP
  • Western Kentucky

JMU + Southern Mississippi to the Sun Belt looks even more possible. If the SBC wanted to, they could also potentially bring over Louisiana Tech and either Old Dominion or Marshall to go to 14 (probably Marshall). If they wanted to go full up at 16 (not something I would think would be wise, but maybe), that probably pick two from ODU, Middle Tennessee State, and Western Kentucky. However, leaving two slots "open" might be the better choice.

12 team Sun Belt (13/14 teams in italics; driving distance from Harrisonburg in parentheses)

• East
    • Appalachian State (266)
    • Coastal Carolina (397)
    • Georgia Southern (537)
    • Georgia State (529)
    • James Madison (0)
    • Marshall (286)
    • Troy (749)
  • West
    • Arkansas State
    • Louisiana
    • UL Monroe
    • Louisiana Tech
    • South Alabama
    • Southern MIss
    • Texas State

An alternative would be to forgo LA Tech, move Troy into the West and pick up Old Dominion (218 miles), Middle Tennessee State (526 miles), or Western Kentucky (563 miles). None of them are great from a football perspective, but WKU might be the best of the three due to the basketball program.

There is also Liberty (98.5 miles) as an independent.

Regardless, if James Madison is going to move, now is probably the time to do it. The American is basically full (and the quality they just picked up is meh at best) and Conference USA just took a massive body blow (I wouldn't join that if I were in JMU's shoes). Sun Belt with a JMU and Southern Miss addition becomes arguably the best of the Group of Five Four 4.5 (I have the Big XII falling below the "power" line over the next decade)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Woz said:

@Thaiphoon - https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32432496/six-schools-officially-apply-join-american-athletic-conference

Figure they aren't applying if they haven't already been told they'll be accepted.

• Florida International
  • Louisiana Tech
  • Marshall
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Old Dominion
  • Southern Miss
  • UTEP
  • Western Kentucky

JMU + Southern Mississippi to the Sun Belt looks even more possible. If the SBC wanted to, they could also potentially bring over Louisiana Tech and either Old Dominion or Marshall to go to 14 (probably Marshall). If they wanted to go full up at 16 (not something I would think would be wise, but maybe), that probably pick two from ODU, Middle Tennessee State, and Western Kentucky. However, leaving two slots "open" might be the better choice.

12 team Sun Belt (13/14 teams in italics; driving distance from Harrisonburg in parentheses)

• East
    • Coastal Carolina (397)
    • Georgia Southern (537)
    • Georgia State (529)
    • James Madison (0)
    • Marshall (286)
    • Troy (749)
  • West
    • Arkansas State
    • Louisiana
    • UL Monroe
    • Louisiana Tech
    • South Alabama
    • Southern MIss
    • Texas State

An alternative would be to forgo LA Tech, move Troy into the West and pick up Old Dominion (218 miles), Middle Tennessee State (526 miles), or Western Kentucky (563 miles). None of them are great from a football perspective, but WKU might be the best of the three due to the basketball program.

Regardless, if James Madison is going to move, now is probably the time to do it. The American is basically full (and the quality they just picked up is meh at best) and Conference USA just took a massive body blow (I wouldn't join that if I were in JMU's shoes). Sun Belt with a JMU and Southern Miss addition becomes arguably the best of the Group of Five Four 4.5 (I have the Big XII falling below the "power" line over the next decade)

Yup. Was just reading that fallout. Not sure what they do, but they need to jump soon

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Woz said:

• Florida International
  • Louisiana Tech
  • Marshall
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Old Dominion
  • Southern Miss
  • UTEP
  • Western Kentucky

• East
    • Coastal Carolina (397)
    • Georgia Southern (537)
    • Georgia State (529)
    • James Madison (0)
    • Marshall (286)
    • Troy (749)
  • West
    • Arkansas State
    • Louisiana
    • UL Monroe
    • Louisiana Tech
    • South Alabama
    • Southern MIss
    • Texas State

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Woz said:

• Florida International
  • Louisiana Tech
  • Marshall
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Old Dominion
  • Southern Miss
  • UTEP
  • Western Kentucky

• East
    • Coastal Carolina (397)
    • Georgia Southern (537)
    • Georgia State (529)
    • James Madison (0)
    • Marshall (286)
    • Troy (749)
  • West
    • Arkansas State
    • Louisiana
    • UL Monroe
    • Louisiana Tech
    • South Alabama
    • Southern MIss
    • Texas State

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sun-belt-conference-usa-considering-adding-teams-amid-aac-expansion/?fbclid=IwAR2ATA6L5jC2fJ2iLIjoxYNBCXncAC6mhpk6f2XvPjeaNAfpVIvjVWT9rKA

"Another battle could soon emerge between the two FBS conferences over James Madison, among other schools."

With what the AAC is planning on adding?

SunBelt >> AAC >>>>>>>>> MAC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CUSA

Is that everyone else's evaluation as well?

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sun-belt-conference-usa-considering-adding-teams-amid-aac-expansion/?fbclid=IwAR2ATA6L5jC2fJ2iLIjoxYNBCXncAC6mhpk6f2XvPjeaNAfpVIvjVWT9rKA

Doing it in a more vertical layout

Mountain West           Sun Belt
            American
          Mid-American

With Conference USA dying.

Right now, I'm not convinced I would put the AAC above MAC

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Woz said:

Doing it in a more vertical layout

Mountain West           Sun Belt
            American
          Mid-American

With Conference USA dying.

Right now, I'm not convinced I would put the AAC above MAC

The tweets here are nice.

https://thespun.com/college-football/james-madison-football-conference-realignment-cusa-sun-belt-expansion-rumors-aac?fbclid=IwAR2Lws7It2BcktpghrYHS1dhiepJOQsqgTXynmQ6-QfkelQ8kXSc8afRDV8

But I'm resigned to not having things go the way I want them to. So am girding myself for disappointment again.

17 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

AAC, before the four schools joining the BigXII, was probably the top dog.  

On 10/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, MikeT14 said:

Cosmi has had as big an impact as Pat this season. I'll take the combo of what Cosmi and RSJ have done (and I'm not a RSJ guy) over just having Pat right now. 

It’s Pat F + Moses & obviously we could’ve still signed RSJ And he’d be our #3 TE. 

The Pat F pick would’ve meant we wouldn’t have taken John Bates in round 4. So, our TE depth chart would be:

1. Logan

2. Pat F

3. RSJ

4. Samis Reyes

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

AAC, before the four schools joining the BigXII, was probably the top dog.  

I'm trying to figure out why they invited the schools they did. I mean, I understand North Texas and UTSA looks like pretty damn good for a school that didn't even have a football program 10-15 years ago. UAB is somewhat of a name program but they did a lot of damage to themselves by terminating the football team for a couple of years there.

But Rice? FAU? Charlotte? What do those bring to the table?

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

The tweets here are nice.

https://thespun.com/college-football/james-madison-football-conference-realignment-cusa-sun-belt-expansion-rumors-aac?fbclid=IwAR2Lws7It2BcktpghrYHS1dhiepJOQsqgTXynmQ6-QfkelQ8kXSc8afRDV8

But I'm resigned to not having things go the way I want them to. So am girding myself for disappointment again.

Honestly, I don't exactly understand the Sun Belt's reticence. I have to think Southern Miss would trip over themselves to leave Conference USA. They are the last founding member of CUSA, having just watched UAB stroll over to the American. Heck, teams that were invited in 2013 (FAU, North Texas, UTSA) just got "promoted" to the AAC.

The Sun Belt can stick a fork in CUSA by grabbing Marshall and Southern Mississippi (that would put the conference at just six football members). At that point, James Madison loses a lot of leverage.

Keep in mind that if JMU joins CUSA, they're going to be regularly traveling to El Paso.