Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

On 11/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Sewell “all world” LT coming out of college is playing RT on a pathetic O line. High price to pay for a RT. Everyone said the Lions got a steal at pick 7. For me who loved him coming out of college, big disappointed. Does anyone from Oregon do well in the pros? 

Watch him play. I mean REALLY watch him play. The guy gets beat to the INSIDE all the time. It's embarrassing how much a Tackle allows that to happen. He will not be a 10+ year starter. I'm happy we weren't in position to grab him

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Watch him play. I mean REALLY watch him play. The guy gets beat to the INSIDE all the time. It's embarrassing how much a Tackle allows that to happen. He will not be a 10+ year starter. I'm happy we weren't in position to grab him

Rookie right? First year playing RT right? Didn’t play in 2020 bc of COVID right?

He gets more time than just 1 season from me to develop.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Rookie right? First year playing RT right? Didn’t play in 2020 bc of COVID right?

He gets more time than just 1 season from me to develop.

Yes. All of that. Which is why I'm not stating he's a bust or too highly drafted (yet). What I AM saying is that the stuff he's getting beat on is not something that a highly drafted rookie usually has problems with. So I think it's a bit more than just "rust"

Virginia Tech is hiring Brent Pry, the DC from Penn State, as the next head coach.

I didn't hear this guy's name at all until yesterday, but now that stuff is leaking out, it sounds like this has been the plan for days and he's been compiling his staff quickly. 

This hire may be a disappointment to some VT fans, but we aren't the LSUs and USCs of the world. It almost feels like a comeuppance for not hiring Bud in '16 as well as hiring the antithesis of Fuente. 

Here's a defensive minded coach who has possibly recruited the DMV area better than ANYONE ACTUALLY IN THE DMV AREA in the last decade (seriously go look at his rivals page). It'll be interesting to see the budget he gets and who he recruits for his staff, and we have time to see how that unfolds, but this seems to nail the Whit Babcock type of VT hire we've seen in the past. I have hope that VT could be back on a path to vie for the Coastal again. 

@lavar703

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Virginia Tech is hiring Brent Pry, the DC from Penn State, as the next head coach.

I didn't hear this guy's name at all until yesterday, but now that stuff is leaking out, it sounds like this has been the plan for days and he's been compiling his staff quickly. 

This hire may be a disappointment to some VT fans, but we aren't the LSUs and USCs of the world. It almost feels like a comeuppance for not hiring Bud in '16 as well as hiring the antithesis of Fuente. 

Here's a defensive minded coach who has possibly recruited the DMV area better than ANYONE ACTUALLY IN THE DMV AREA in the last decade (seriously go look at his rivals page). It'll be interesting to see the budget he gets and who he recruits for his staff, and we have time to see how that unfolds, but this seems to nail the Whit Babcock type of VT hire we've seen in the past. I have hope that VT could be back on a path to vie for the Coastal again. 

@lavar703

He’s an awesome coach! You guys got a good one. He’s done an amazing job at Penn State w/ that D and developing players. He’s a great hire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

@lavar703

I like it. Not a name I know but moving on from Fuente and his absolute inability to recruit this area is a blessing in itself. I think we’ll be fine. 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:04 AM, turtle28 said:

Well, they’re missing out if they don’t. It would be great to reunite those rivalries. 

The ACC doesn't care about those rivalries. If they did, they would have invited WVU about 10-15 years ago. Keep in mind that VT could have gone to bat for WVU after the first Big East raid, but didn't. Same with Pitt and Syracuse when Maryland left.

10 hours ago, Woz said:

The ACC doesn't care about those rivalries. If they did, they would have invited WVU about 10-15 years ago. Keep in mind that VT could have gone to bat for WVU after the first Big East raid, but didn't. Same with Pitt and Syracuse when Maryland left.

Bingo. Notre Dame comes knocking again? ACC is gonna bend over backwards. WVU? "Thanks but no thanks". Not saying it wouldn't ever happen... they just don't care about trying to. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woz said:

I understand, but a boy can dream right? I miss all those rivalries that the BigEast used to have. BigEast football was awesome Back when I was at WVU in the late 90s & early 2000s.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, turtle28 said:

I understand, but a boy can dream right? I miss all those rivalries that the BigEast used to have. BigEast football was awesome Back when I was at WVU in the late 90s & early 2000s.

This is going to be harsh, but it's the truth:

WVU doesn't have the academic chops to join either the Big Ten or the ACC. You can laugh at that, but that matters for those conferences. They don't have the athletic chops to join the SEC; I'm sorry, they don't. Finally, they are in a state that is in the bottom quartile for population and are surrounded by states that are in the top 20 in population if you go two states beyond (1). That means that they bring little to any of those three conferences in terms of television markets (2) and thus money or recruits.

Basically, WVU has to do everything its power to make sure the Big XII doesn't collapse because as it stands today they have no place to go amongst the power conferences should the XII die (3). It may not be fair, but that's the reality of the situation. Keep in mind that if Texas and Texas A&M were willing to trash their longstanding rivalry to follow the money, then recreating the Backyard Brawl is going to move zero dials in terms of interest.

(1) Consider the states that border WV plus those states that border WV's border states.
(2) The first media market that is natively in West Virginia is Charleston-Huntington, and it's ranked 75th with an estimated 427K TV households. By comparison, there are WV regions that are split between DC-Hagerstown (9th, 2.6M), Pittsburgh (26th, 1.2M), and Roanoke-Lynchburg (71st, 446K). Those area all owned by the Big Ten and ACC already.
(3) I'm not saying that it is likely to happen, but the Big XII is easily the weakest of the five power conferences now with Oklahoma and Texas leaving.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@Woz I’m not even going to respond to that BS and leave it at that.

Leave it if you want, but most of what he said isn't wrong. The counter argument is that the ACC has Louisville which is def the red headed step child of the ACC academically, but they're still ahead of WVU.