Unexpected Impact of Tom Brady's Retirement

Just Want A Title

I read the article below about the impact of Tom Brady's retirement on the Bucaneers salary cap.  Apparently, it puts them about $56 million over the salary cap.  Do you think we should be putting a call in to see if we can get a player like Vita Vea at a lower compensation level than expected?  Or maybe another player on their roster?  Thoughts?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I read the article below about the impact of Tom Brady's retirement on the Bucaneers salary cap.  Apparently, it puts them about $56 million over the salary cap.  Do you think we should be putting a call in to see if we can get a player like Vita Vea at a lower compensation level than expected?  Or maybe another player on their roster?  Thoughts?

I'm not opposed to a phone call but I have to imagine they'll find some magic way to work around this and open up some room. We could make the money work but compensation would be a big piece for me. 

• Like 1

Saw the title and was expecting a different thread lol, but I'll include all my thoughts in relation to this.

1. 1 less NFC opponent

2. You would think TB will let guys like Jamel Dean and Sean MB go in FA

3. TB will be looking to acquire a QB. If they want to trade up to #6, I'm all ears depending on compensation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Saw the title and was expecting a different thread lol, but I'll include all my thoughts in relation to this.

1. 1 less NFC opponent

2. You would think TB will let guys like Jamel Dean and Sean MB go in FA

3. TB will be looking to acquire a QB. If they want to trade up to #6, I'm all ears depending on compensation.

What do you think someone like Vea would be worth in terms of draft comp if he was included as part of a deal?

17 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Well, if you're asking me, I'd give #18 for him straight up. Or Vea and #19 for #6.

According to NFL trade values, #19 (TB) and our #18 is 1775 in value, #6 is 1600 in value. That's about even. I would do that in a heartbeat, you only hope #6 becomes someone like Vita Vea.

True. Two big differences are a) age (Vea is 28 vs a 22 or 23 yo rookie) and b) Salary (he's making like $13M vs the $4M #6 is going to make). 

However, there's definitely value in a proven commodity. We'd essentially be swapping out Brockers for Vea in terms of cap impact. 

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-bucs-can-solve-their-salary-cap-issues-with-and-without-tom-brady

This article talks about how they could get under the cap relatively easy by pushing a little money to 2024 and later. Including a big chunk of Brady’s dead money.  Extending Vea is one of those steps and is a lot more likely than them trading him. Especially because doing so now would actually make their cap situation worse for 2023.  

I think the biggest impact is that the Bucs will be more likely to move up for a QB, and given where they are at, it would cost some future firsts. I don’t really want to move that far down but if we go to 19 and get Antonio Johnson or Brian Branch and two future firsts, I’d be up for it. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/how-bucs-can-solve-their-salary-cap-issues-with-and-without-tom-brady

This article talks about how they could get under the cap relatively easy by pushing a little money to 2024 and later. Including a big chunk of Brady’s dead money.  Extending Vea is one of those steps and is a lot more likely than them trading him. Especially because doing so now would actually make their cap situation worse for 2023.  

I think the biggest impact is that the Bucs will be more likely to move up for a QB, and given where they are at, it would cost some future firsts. I don’t really want to move that far down but if we go to 19 and get Antonio Johnson or Brian Branch and two future firsts, I’d be up for it. 

If we move down from 6, I don't see it being any more than 2-4 slots.  I think it is more likely to move off of 18 to pick up some draft capital in rounds 2-4.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, Karnage84 said:

True. Two big differences are a) age (Vea is 28 vs a 22 or 23 yo rookie) and b) Salary (he's making like $13M vs the $4M #6 is going to make). 

However, there's definitely value in a proven commodity. We'd essentially be swapping out Brockers for Vea in terms of cap impact. 

It is true that Vita Vea's Salary Cap impact would be about equal to Michael Brockers but Vita Vea would bring a lot more disruption and production.

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is true that Vita Vea's Salary Cap impact would be about equal to Michael Brockers but Vita Vea would bring a lot more disruption and production.

Yes - absolutely. So the only thing really holding me back is a) age and b) draft capital in order to acquire.

However, it's definitely an intriguing possibility. 

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

If we move down from 6, I don't see it being any more than 2-4 slots.  I think it is more likely to move off of 18 to pick up some draft capital in rounds 2-4.

I like the value of players more currently in the 15-25 range.  So I’m all for dropping down from either.  We would obviously get more return for 6 and if that’s a way to get multiple years of 1sts, I’d do it in a heart beat.  Especially since I don’t expect Tampa to be as good next year given a rookie QB likely isn’t as good as Brady was last year. 

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Obviously Vea is a huge upgrade. He is one of the best DTs in the game.  But given he would cost Tampa more to trade him, I don’t see why they would.  They have other assets that can actually save cap that they would cut or trade. 

8 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It looks a lot like the Bucs are in full rebuild mode.  They are probably going to lose some pretty good players this year in addition to losing Tom Brady.  I am not sure how much longer Mike Evans will be playing either.  I suspect they will "rip the bandaid off" and get all of their salary cap pain out of the way.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It looks a lot like the Bucs are in full rebuild mode.  They are probably going to lose some pretty good players this year in addition to losing Tom Brady.  I am not sure how much longer Mike Evans will be playing either.  I suspect they will "rip the bandaid off" and get all of their salary cap pain out of the way.

I have to think they'd be open to adding Richardson or McKee either at 19 or in a much smaller (and less expensive) trade up. If Levis has a bit of a fall he could be a potential target. 

Good piece on the Bucs and a perspective on how they might approach things. The Vea dreams are probably not going to come true in that case. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I have to think they'd be open to adding Richardson or McKee either at 19 or in a much smaller (and less expensive) trade up. If Levis has a bit of a fall he could be a potential target. 

Good piece on the Bucs and a perspective on how they might approach things. The Vea dreams are probably not going to come true in that case. 

Some of the most significant moves are contract re-structures that will create more cap issues in subsequent years.  I don't see them competing for a deep playoff run or a division title in the next two years.  Using re-structures to create cap-space this year will only push their cap issues into future years.