Nick Sirianni - How much credit does he get?

General Tso

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Sirianni early on in his first year with the Eagles was going super pass heavy the first 7 weeks and had the humility to realize he needed to hand over play calling duties to Steichen and take a more CEO approach to game days and has been one of the best coaches in the game from an in-game management perspective. He knows when to challenge, take timeouts, go for it on 4th downs, etc. I never feel like I have to really worry about the little stuff like that on game days and let me tell you.... its a good feeling.

That's what has impressed me most about what Nick has done with the Eagles. At the beginning of last season he was asking Jalen Hurts to sling the ball around like he was Andrew Luck. He realized that wasn't going to work and completely shifted the teams offensive identity during the season to be a smash mouth run first team that didn't ask Hurts to do too much. People forget that this was very much a prove it year for Hurts and the team put themselves in position to have the draft capital needed to move up for a QB if he didn't play well this year. And he helped Jalen improve from being an average/above average starter to an MVP level player that just led the team to the Super Bowl.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Howie assembling a DT room of Cox, Hargrave, Jordan Davis, Linval Joseph, and Suh? That's gotta be one of the deepest DT positions of all time. They also have Milton Williams a third rounder, Marlon Tuipulotu on IR and Marvin Wilson on PS as guys some were pretty high on. Graham, Sweat, Quinn and Barnett. The offensive line is obviously insane as well, but my God the defensive line depth.

This coaching staff gets a lot of credit though, but constantly reinforcing the lines is so important. I don't think this is a one time deal and expect to see the Eagles compete for a while.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

This coaching staff gets a lot of credit though, but constantly reinforcing the lines is so important. I don't think this is a one time deal and expect to see the Eagles compete for a while.

We will see. We have a LOT of defensive free agents this year.

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Howie assembling a DT room of Cox, Hargrave, Jordan Davis, Linval Joseph, and Suh? That's gotta be one of the deepest DT positions of all time. They also have Milton Williams a third rounder, Marlon Tuipulotu on IR and Marvin Wilson on PS as guys some were pretty high on. Graham, Sweat, Quinn and Barnett. The offensive line is obviously insane as well, but my God the defensive line depth.

Honestly, what they’ve done with the offensive line  is way more impressive to me. Like, Peters and Brooks left the building…and they were basically immediately supplanted by younger guys playing at an extremely high level. Looks like that’s going to be the case with Kelce too.

Then on top of Hargrave, they added Reddick (who had a career year), Bradberry (who had a career year), CGJ, Kyzir White (career year), AJB (career year), plus those other guys you mentioned (albeit Quinn is a JAG and Barnett didn’t play)? They went for it, and hit on nearly every move. Roseman these last couple years was basically batting 1.000.

• Like 1

Sirianni was on my short list for Coach of the Year along with Shanny and Reid.

I think at HC, more than anywhere else, you are what your record says you are, which is why I have a hard time celebrating mediocre years (Daboll, Pederson) just because we expected a team to be terrible.

I think I settled on Shanny in the end, but I believe if Sirianni won those games with Minshew, it would have tipped the scales in his favor. 

But overall, that award is kind of a joke (see: Nagy, Stefanski, Garrett, etc) in hindsight, so it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

Sirianni was on my short list for Coach of the Year along with Shanny and Reid.

I think at HC, more than anywhere else, you are what your record says you are, which is why I have a hard time celebrating mediocre years (Daboll, Pederson) just because we expected a team to be terrible.

I think I settled on Shanny in the end, but I believe if Sirianni won those games with Minshew, it would have tipped the scales in his favor. 

But overall, that award is kind of a joke (see: Nagy, Stefanski, Garrett, etc) in hindsight, so it really doesn't matter.

I wouldn't call what the Jaguars or Giants did this season mediocre and I think context is extremely important. Pederson and Daboll didn't inherit super talented teams but were still able to change the culture and get them into the divisional round in year 1. Both also helped their young QBs take major strides this season.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't call what the Jaguars or Giants did this season mediocre and I think context is extremely important. Pederson and Daboll didn't inherit super talented teams but were still able to change the culture and get them into the divisional round in year 1. Both also helped their young QBs take major strides this season.

I just mean mediocre seasons from a W/L perspective. Obviously, both coaches did great jobs and those fan bases should be excited about next year. But when we are nitpicking which coach did the best job this year, I feel like it's weird to say "well you guys should have sucked so 9-7-1 is the best job anyone did".

Like, does Andy Reid have to go 17-0 to win just because he has Mahomes? Let me go even further =x

Did Daboll really make major strides with Jones or did he take the ball out of his hand and give him a generally better scheme? Do we really even know what he is now?

Did Pederson really impart all the wisdom to Trevor that transformed him into Kirk-Cousins-level stats this year? Or did he just happen to not be Urban Meyer? 

Again, I know I'm bashing them here but it's not because I don't think they are good (I was one of biggest DP supporters when he was hired in JAX). I think they both had AWESOME years (maybe top 5, 10 for sure). But we are nitpicking the very best, that's all. It's like the Allen fans getting mad bc he's not quite Mahomes. Or people who bash Lebron because he's not Jordan. Like, they are still very legit don't get me wrong.

And look, I understand more people agree with you than me so I can agree to disagree, but again I just can't get my head around a barely .500 record being the best coaching performance in the league because of subjective expectations.  I'm just an old school W/L caveman.

I still have trouble evaluating Nick Sirriani this year.

The Eagles were by far the best roster from top to bottom in the entire NFL. They also played arguably the easiest schedule I've ever seen, and down the stretch the QB's they faced and teams they faced were an actual joke as well.

They lost (and didn't look good) the only 2 games their QB missed. They gave up 40 points and 350+ yards passing against the only somewhat decent QB they faced down the stretch. In the playoffs they've faced Daniel Jones and literally nobody on the 49ers since they were all injured.

I still personally think there's a ton of questions surrounding how much credit Sirriani should get, and how much was a product of just how easy things have been for the Eagles this year. I am not going to draw any conclusions this season unless they win the Superbowl. I think he needs another full year to examine how valuable he is and how much value their GM has brought to the table instead.

• Like 1

I love when people use the "Eagles haven't played anybody " excuse to discredit what they've done. As a QB, Defense,  HC and Team.

As if it's the Eagles fault the Cardinals,  Packers and Titans all playoff teams in 2021, sucked and regressed in 2022? That the Vikings and Cowboys,  are who we know they are choke artists? Saints and Colts didn't take the next step based off last years teams barely missing the playoffs? That when Teams like the Giants and WTF get better take the next steps, they too don't count as a quality win despite handling most of their AFC opponents themselves as well? 

Coming into the season most people and pundits had the Eagles finishing at best in 2nd behind Dallas in the 8-10 win range. No one was predicting #1 seed, possible MVP candidate, DPOY candidate, SB birth, offensive and defensive records being set, no one was projecting 16 or 17 wins on the season, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE!!!!

Nick Sirianni has nothing to prove, least of all to that Eagles lockerroom. 

Edited by Nabbs4u