Upcoming QB Contracts...

NYRaider

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What kind of deals do you expect to see these guys get this offseason?

Rookie Extensions

Lamar Jackson -

Joe Burrow - 

Jalen Hurts - 

Justin Herbert - 

Tua Tagovailoa - 

Bonus

Derek Carr - 

Jimmy Garappolo  -

Lamar - Honestly, not sure if he signs. That situation with Baltimore is pretty gnarly. The fully guaranteed part of this may be the thing that ultimately dings him. I don't know that he's getting 50+ fully guaranteed, but he may get 46 fully guaranteed. So I'll say 49 million a year.

Joe Burrow - 50.5 million per year. 

Jalen - If I'm him, I'm asking for more than 46 million, which is what Kyler and Watson got. 46.5 / yr. Maybe it comes in just a smidge under that though since they are buying out a rookie year deal. 

Justin Herbert - 48 million per year. 

Tua - No way in hell that they should be talking to him about an extension right now. I think he plays out the 4th year of his deal for sure. They'll pick up his 5th year option and if he can make it through the year okay, they will re-up him after year 4. If he can't, they should play out the 5th year option too. 

Derek Carr - 32 million. Not sure if it will have any term to it though. Maybe like a 3 year deal they can get out of after one year. 

Jimmy - I thought he would get something like 25-30. But after another injury, and given how well Purdy played in his absence, I think Jimmy is probably looking at a prove it type deal of about 1 year, 20 million (it may be stretched out over more than one year) 

10 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The Brown family doesn't operate that way.  They loathe restructuring in general.  I think they will dump huge bonuses into the next two years before the contract balloons.  The front office also doesn't use void years very much (they did with Reiff and another player following the COVID year).  Maybe the front office catches up with the times, but escrow money seems to be an issue all of the time.  They reached an agreement with Bates last year on total contract, but fell way short of the guaranteed money his agent was looking for.  And not so coincidentally with Burrow's deal looming, he sold the naming rights to the stadium as the season started, along with other branding deals the team previously had ignored (to honor Paul Brown's legacy was the given reason)

They've also never had a QB like Burrow though. I think that changes perspective a little bit, when you're suddenly dealing with an actual, legitimate superbowl window. This is probably as profitable as the franchise has ever been too, with Burrow and Chase and the recent team success. Maybe it won't change anything, but the next two or three years will be the most appealing stuff like void years and signing bonus restructures will ever be for Cincy.

26 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

The thing with Lamar is who will pay him a fully guaranteed contract? Baltimore will tag him for sure. If they try to trade him which team would give up at least 2 first round picks and pay him over $250m guaranteed? 

Could've asked the same about Watson. All it take is one team that feels desperate enough.

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Joe Burrow - 6 yr/$264M ($44M APY)

Jalen Hurts - 6 yr/$265M ($44.2M APY)

Man.  I like Hurts.  And I'm not suggesting he is going to have some crazy fall-off and turn into trash.  I don't think that.  I would just be very hesitant about giving him that deal is all.  I mean you gotta do what you have to do I guess when it comes to the QB position.  But are we sure we haven't seen the peak of Hurts already?  Granted, a great peak to have.  I'm just not convinced he's the kind of guy who is going to elevate the passing game to where it needs to be if the talent around him fades.

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Man.  I like Hurts.  And I'm not suggesting he is going to have some crazy fall-off and turn into trash.  I don't think that.  I would just be very hesitant about giving him that deal is all.  I mean you gotta do what you have to do I guess when it comes to the QB position.  But are we sure we haven't seen the peak of Hurts already?  Granted, a great peak to have.  I'm just not convinced he's the kind of guy who is going to elevate the passing game to where it needs to be if the talent around him fades.

There's definitely no reason that he should take less than someone like Kyler

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don't get 2017 Carson Wentz vibes off Jalen Hurts TBH. Mainly because of the drive, work ethic and frankly his obsessive desire to improve his craft since becoming a Eagle. His mentality is Mamba like!

People questioned his arm strength, ability to read defenses, make tight winds throws, deep ball passing, touch, footwork,  ect.... and he's done all of that and some all season long until the AC injury to his throwing shoulder. 

While I'm not enthused about giving him or any QB frankly $45m plus a season, it's the going rate for FQB's. Which I 100% believe he is. Whether he jumps to another level, become upper echelon remains to be seen. I just don't see a massive drop off or him cliff diving in the near future unless injuries completely derail his career.

It's not in his DNA to settle, not improve,  not strive for greatness. Just listen to him talk, it's nuts.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

They've also never had a QB like Burrow though. I think that changes perspective a little bit, when you're suddenly dealing with an actual, legitimate superbowl window. This is probably as profitable as the franchise has ever been too, with Burrow and Chase and the recent team success. Maybe it won't change anything, but the next two or three years will be the most appealing stuff like void years and signing bonus restructures will ever be for Cincy.

I don't think Mike Brown does much nowadays anyway.  His daughter Katie does.  They'll definitely figure it out.  Brown gave Palmer the top contract in the league when he cam up, while also paying top money to Chad Johnson, and a lot to Rudi Johnson and Tj Housh.  They'll have to be a bit more creative for sure.

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I don't know that you can necessarily say that he's reached his peak. He's always striding to improve. Hell no one thought he'd ever be this good a year ago.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:50 AM, NYRaider said:

What kind of deals do you expect to see these guys get this offseason?

Rookie Extensions

Lamar Jackson - 7 year, $310m, $232.5m guaranteed (built with option bonuses in years 2&3 to activate years 6 and 7 of the deal). - Allows Lamar to get record “guarantees” to placate him, while Ravens get to refuse to provide full guarantees and have some control over whether they want to continue with Lamar long term at a lower cap or short term with a higher cap. Win/win. Lose/lose.

Joe Burrow - 10 year, $505m
- Burrow overtakes Mahomes as highest paid QB.

Jalen Hurts - 5 year, $215m
- Hurts gets real money early and team gets a friendlier contract average.

Justin Herbert - 6 year, $280m
- Uses the Josh Allen deal as the skeleton, but increases the amount.

Tua Tagovailoa - 4 year, $155m
- Tua smartly takes a very cap friendly deal to ensure he’s got stability and some guarantees in case football ends sooner than later. In trade, he comes much cheaper than the others.

Bonus

Derek Carr - 

Jimmy Garappolo  -

Idk. Just having some fun.

7 hours ago, Danger said:

I don't know that you can necessarily say that he's reached his peak. He's always striding to improve. Hell no one thought he'd ever be this good a year ago.

I don't think it's necessarily that he's not going to improve, but this can be his peak even if he still improves as a player. Like, he could be better next year, and still easily have a worse season. Like from a productivity standpoint, 2007 was Brady's peak, but he still definitely improved past that season as a player. 2007 was just when the stars aligned for the whole roster and Brady's development together. So I think it's more the possibility of this being his peak in terms of results, not necessarily his quality as a player. The trouble with these QB contracts is they do ultimately wind up coming own to if that QB is good enough to offset the opportunity cost of their contracts. Are they good enough to still elevate a team with that deficit in cap space? And that's not an easy question to answer until it's too late. Two years from now, maybe Jalen Hurts is 10% better, but if the OL is 20% worse and the DL is 30% worse, where does that team wind up?

Personally, no idea. And I'm not going to try to predict because I was definitely wrong on the Eagles coming into the year. But I don't think the issue is that people think Hurts won't keep trying to improve or something, but it's that that improvement has to outpace any regression the rest of the team feels after paying him. Patrick Mahomes needed to get better as a player fast enough to offset losing Tyreek. Maybe Joe Burrow will have to do the same with Tee Higgins. It's hard to know how that will go until it's already gone, and these are basically franchise direction defining issues for all the current great teams in the league.

• Like 1