The Vegas "Our Front Office can certainly screw the pooch on this one." thread

vegas492

1 minute ago, Striker said:

They let Rodgers go on McAfee and seize all the leverage for the Jets. Might as well just trade him for a 4th and Zonovan Knight and get it over with.

Yeah, I don't understand the whole "leverage" conversation going on.

GB has leverage in the fact that Rodgers is under contract to them AND the fact that this is it as far as good quarterbacks that are available right now.

The Jets have leverage in the fact that Rodgers is under contract to GB and GB has moved on from him.  It isn't like Rodgers can come back.  It isn't like Rodgers can be cut.

GB has leverage because the GM and HC have to be on the hot seat in New York.  Neither has won much or shown an advancement in wins.

Jets have leverage because it appears that no other teams are in the race for Rodgers.

Then Rodgers goes on air and says he down with the trade, while saying GB is holding things up.

Leverage to the Jets.  Unless it's leverage to GB because they won't give him away.

I feel like someone arguing who has the most leverage, and really digging in on it, is a little off their rocker.  And since many are, uh, geriatric mouth breathers, (am I doing this right?), maybe they are off of their rockers.  So long as no one is on their lawn.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah, I don't understand the whole "leverage" conversation going on.

GB has leverage in the fact that Rodgers is under contract to them AND the fact that this is it as far as good quarterbacks that are available right now.

The Jets have leverage in the fact that Rodgers is under contract to GB and GB has moved on from him.  It isn't like Rodgers can come back.  It isn't like Rodgers can be cut.

GB has leverage because the GM and HC have to be on the hot seat in New York.  Neither has won much or shown an advancement in wins.

Jets have leverage because it appears that no other teams are in the race for Rodgers.

Then Rodgers goes on air and says he down with the trade, while saying GB is holding things up.

Leverage to the Jets.  Unless it's leverage to GB because they won't give him away.

I feel like someone arguing who has the most leverage, and really digging in on it, is a little off their rocker.  And since many are, uh, geriatric mouth breathers, (am I doing this right?), maybe they are off of their rockers.  So long as no one is on their lawn.

Honestly, we're probably underthinking this. Probably should move Rodgers for a 7th and Zach Wilson. At least then the Packers management can salvage this situation before he just retires.

1 minute ago, Striker said:

Honestly, we're probably underthinking this. Probably should move Rodgers for a 7th and Zach Wilson. At least then the Packers management can salvage this situation before he just retires.

I try to think about things logically, and keep my fandom out of it.  I feel like you do, too.

What does logic say?  GB needs to trade Rodgers.  Rodgers will play for the Jets.  Jets need Rodgers.  So, it will happen.

Now we haggle, right?  We ask for sun and moon, because that is how it starts.  Jets refuse.  Yet sign Lazard.

So now they are dug in, and they lost a little leverage.

How does this trade benefit both teams?  I think the key is Lazard.  They need to send GB a second round pick this year and a second round pick next year, if Rodgers plays next year, and they need to send GB a WR.  And not a scrub like Mims.  Talking Wilson, Moore or Davis.  Davis is expensive, so he's out.  Wilson or Moore.  

We are asking for Wilson, because that is what you do.  We are getting Moore.

Now, if it isn't Moore, then look at TE's.  We need one, they have a few and will likely sign the Big Dawg.  So throw in a TE, and the pick needs to get better (next year).

So if it's a TE and a second this year, then it is a first round pick next year for Rodgers.

And that is how it should end.

That front office ain't making picks next year if Rodgers is around, so they might as well trade the pick.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I try to think about things logically, and keep my fandom out of it.  I feel like you do, too.

What does logic say?  GB needs to trade Rodgers.  Rodgers will play for the Jets.  Jets need Rodgers.  So, it will happen.

Now we haggle, right?  We ask for sun and moon, because that is how it starts.  Jets refuse.  Yet sign Lazard.

So now they are dug in, and they lost a little leverage.

How does this trade benefit both teams?  I think the key is Lazard.  They need to send GB a second round pick this year and a second round pick next year, if Rodgers plays next year, and they need to send GB a WR.  And not a scrub like Mims.  Talking Wilson, Moore or Davis.  Davis is expensive, so he's out.  Wilson or Moore.  

We are asking for Wilson, because that is what you do.  We are getting Moore.

Now, if it isn't Moore, then look at TE's.  We need one, they have a few and will likely sign the Big Dawg.  So throw in a TE, and the pick needs to get better (next year).

So if it's a TE and a second this year, then it is a first round pick next year for Rodgers.

And that is how it should end.

That front office ain't making picks next year if Rodgers is around, so they might as well trade the pick.

Both of my replies matched the initial intent of this post along with the posts about how Watson, Gary, etc are giant busts.

Edited by Striker

Just now, Striker said:

Both of my replies matched the initial intent of this post along with the posts about how Watson, Gary, etc are giant busts.

They haven't done squat.  One was a highly picked EDGE who has what, 22-23 sacks in 4 years? And never a double digit sack season?

The other hasn't even had 650 yards in the league at WR.

At least they aren't RB's drafted in the second round who average 600 yards a year and a 4.0 ypc while breaking few tackles at 250 pounds.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

They haven't done squat.  One was a highly picked EDGE who has what, 22-23 sacks in 4 years? And never a double digit sack season?

The other hasn't even had 650 yards in the league at WR.

At least they aren't RB's drafted in the second round who average 600 yards a year and a 4.0 ypc while breaking few tackles at 250 pounds.

Watson couldn't even match or break the rookie TD record. 

The Packers should have known Gary's ACLs were made of paper.

• Like 1

The reason the Packers have the leverage is that the Jets literally do not have another option at quarterback short of "trot out Zach Wilson again."  All the free agent QBs you could even talk yourself into are signed, there's no offer sheet you could sign Lamar Jackson to that the Ravens wouldn't immediately match, and it would cost the Jets more in draft compensation to move up for a QB than it would to get Rodgers.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The reason the Packers have the leverage is that the Jets literally do not have another option at quarterback short of "trot out Zach Wilson again."  All the free agent QBs you could even talk yourself into are signed, there's no offer sheet you could sign Lamar Jackson to that the Ravens wouldn't immediately match, and it would cost the Jets more in draft compensation to move up for a QB than it would to get Rodgers.

The real reason the Packers have no leverage is because they committed to Love as their starter.

They aren't keeping both.

And only the Jets are interested.

And Rodgers is 39 years old.

Now it is up to which interpretation is correct.

And for the record, I feel like GB has the leverage right now.  Just stating the other side.

We each need the deal to be done.

It should be that we need him gone prior to week one.

It should be that they need him on their roster prior to OTA's.  

The longer it goes now, towards the draft the more leverage GB has.  Once the draft is over, GB gains more leverage for future picks.  Actually GB should be asking for more than what they are now, due to future picks being what they are.

But, if those dates come and go with no deal, the closer it gets to week one, then the leverage shifts to the Jets.

And now my head hurts.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The real reason the Packers have no leverage is because they committed to Love as their starter.

They aren't keeping both.

And only the Jets are interested.

And Rodgers is 39 years old.

Now it is up to which interpretation is correct.

And for the record, I feel like GB has the leverage right now.  Just stating the other side.

We each need the deal to be done.

It should be that we need him gone prior to week one.

It should be that they need him on their roster prior to OTA's.  

The longer it goes now, towards the draft the more leverage GB has.  Once the draft is over, GB gains more leverage for future picks.  Actually GB should be asking for more than what they are now, due to future picks being what they are.

But, if those dates come and go with no deal, the closer it gets to week one, then the leverage shifts to the Jets.

And now my head hurts.

What does this matter? GB can hold onto Rodgers until they get the deal they want. GB and Rodgers agreed to a contract.

Rodgers can cry and go on Pat’s show daily if he wants… that doesn’t change the fact. If he didn’t want GB to have that power, should of never signed the contract.

GB has leverage because their cap is bad regardless. Move him, or don’t. So they can wait.

The only issue is if this got really real… would be how much can GB keep Rodgers away from the building until the NFLPA forces the team to allow Rodgers back in.

That’s were this gets ugly, Brett flying in during family night ugly.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

What does this matter? GB can hold onto Rodgers until they get the deal they want. GB and Rodgers agreed to a contract.

Rodgers can cry and go on Pat’s show daily if he wants… that doesn’t change the fact. If he didn’t want GB to have that power, should of never signed the contract.

GB has leverage because their cap is bad regardless. Move him, or don’t. So they can wait.

The only issue is if this got really real… would be how much can GB keep Rodgers away from the building until the NFLPA forces the team to allow Rodgers back in.

That’s were this gets ugly, Brett flying in during family night ugly.

It matters because the Jets know that Rodgers isn't coming back to that team.

Sure GB can pay him to stay home, but they do need to deal him.

And again...just playing devil's advocate for the other side.

I totally believe that right now, GB has the leverage.  But one we are a week away from the regular season starting?  Different story.

I wish we'd get something done quickly, but it's not overly pressing to me right now.

Only reason I want to get picks now is cuz...mock draft simulators!