Guess the starting 2023 QB for these

dll2000

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They save 17.8 by cutting him and they are currently over cap by by 28 mil according to Spotrac.

That still puts them over the cap.  Without a QB.

So unless Carr wants to come play for -11 million (and probably isn't even an upgrade), as I have said, they have neither the money nor the draft picks to make a play for a veteran QB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That still puts them over the cap.  Without a QB.

So unless Carr wants to come play for -11 million (and probably isn't even an upgrade), as I have said, they have neither the money nor the draft picks to make a play for a veteran QB.

So TN plan should be cut other vet roster players and keep Tannehill in tow? 

He already struggled noticeably without Brown.   

Seems like a good year to try Willis.  If he stinks it is a built in tank.  If he starts playing good that is good too.

If you already don't believe in Willis trade up and try a different guy.  Or tank and do it next year.

But I don't see a good point in using Tannehill as your QB in 2023 unless he agrees to less money.  Then I could see it.

Biggest cap saving moves aside from Tannehill are Lewan, Dupree and Woods and replace them with cheaper options.  

I don't know how Lewan played in 2022, but if he played well and you need a new cheap LT that will not make team better.   There are no good LTs on market that are cheap.  They are hard to find.

Woods was your best WR.   Any other FA WR as good costs as much or more.   Hooper is also a FA.  

Would Tannehill be better in 2023 than 2022 sans Lewan, Woods, Hooper and Dupree with rookie class and some journeyman vets?

Sounds like a good recipe to keep winning 7 - 9 games a year for foreseeable future.  Best case is he is as good and you get lucky in draft with some overlooked stud playmaking difference maker.

Choice doesn't seem hard to me.  But Vrabel has power now and probably doesn't want to tank.  We'll see.  

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I love the sell. 

He has a weak arm, but he is slow.  LOL.

LOL.  Just to be clear, I didn't mean my remarks as litotes.  Hooker has more than enough arm strength to reach Washington's receivers.  I, too, was surprised to see his mediocre 40 time;  he does look faster on the field. 

As for getting the starting job, Ron Rivera must know that Taylor Heinicke, Carson Wentz, and Sam Howell are not winning options.  All three are tank Commanders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

LOL.  Just to be clear, I didn't mean my remarks as litotes.  Hooker has more than enough arm strength to reach Washington's receivers.  I, too, was surprised to see his mediocre 40 time;  he does look faster on the field. 

As for getting the starting job, Ron Rivera must know that Taylor Heinicke, Carson Wentz, and Sam Howell are not winning options.  All three are tank Commanders.

I don't think I have ever heard some use the word 'litotes.'  

I was just kidding around in any event.   'Tank commander'  was also funny.  I really hate the name Commanders.  I can't believe they actually market or poll tested that before deciding on it.

Wentz really went from golden boy to bum in a hurry.  Or maybe he was always bad and was propped by a really good team one year.  But he had multiple coaches believing he could be salvaged.

I wouldn't mind drafting Hooker.  I haven't studied QBs, but in watching other players on TN and against TN you can't help but notice him.   He looks like a decent QB to me.  Not a world beater, but solid developmental back up option.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I'm a Va Tech fan who was/is a huge fan of Hendon Hooker. Hooker was never a better QB in college than Sam Howell. I have watched both of them a ton. Not to mention Hooker is two years older than Howell. 

On 2/7/2023 at 1:16 PM, dll2000 said:

I find it very interesting that it has been reported that Washington is committed to Sam Howell for 2023.

Purdy and Malik Willis had a lot more game reps and even without injury I can't see either team blanket announcing they were committing to either in January.

Kind of surprised Rivera still has a job there.   My guess is if Snyder wasn't having his own problems he wouldn't be.

The staff loved Howell going into the draft according to John Keim. Had they not traded for Wentz they would've picked him much higher. I'd also venture to say if Heinicke had not pushed us into playoff contention Howell would've seen the field much sooner. I have no issue with it. The offense has a lot of weapons and they lit him sit for a year. If he sucks, the whole staff is gone anyway so who cares lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The staff loved Howell going into the draft according to John Keim. Had they not traded for Wentz they would've picked him much higher. I'd also venture to say if Heinicke had not pushed us into playoff contention Howell would've seen the field much sooner. I have no issue with it. The offense has a lot of weapons and they lit him sit for a year. If he sucks, the whole staff is gone anyway so who cares lol.

I care because I want everyone who may need a QB bidding to move up for rookie QBs and increasing trade value for Bears.

But best to you.

• Like 2

Rams: Matt Stafford / Baker Mayfield
49ers: Trey Lance
Seahawks: Geno Smith
Cardinals: Ryan Tannehill / Kyler Murray (assuming Kyler really may miss most if not all of the season, TEN trades up to 3 and Tannehill is part of the trade as a throw in to not waste ARI's season)

Titans: CJ Stroud
Colts: Will Levis
Texans: Bryce Young
Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence

Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes
Chargers: Justin Herbert
Broncos: Russell Wilson
Raiders: Aaron Rodgers

Packers: Jordan Love
Vikings: Kirk Cousins
Bears: Justin Fields
Lions: Jared Goff

Falcons: Anthony Richardson
Saints: Derek Carr
Panthers: Jacoby Brissett / Matt Corral
Buccaneers: Jameis Winston (late round pick trade) / Kyle Trask

Giants: Daniel Jones
Cowboys: Dak Prescott
Eagles: Jalen Hurts
Commanders: Sam Howell

Steelers: Kenny Pickett
Ravens: Lamar Jackson
Bengals: Joe Burrow
Browns: Deshaun Watson

Patriots: Mac Jones
Bills: Josh Allen
Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa
Jets: Jimmy Garoppolo

Edited by Trojan

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:
6 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I'm a Va Tech fan who was/is a huge fan of Hendon Hooker. Hooker was never a better QB in college than Sam Howell. I have watched both of them a ton. Not to mention Hooker is two years older than Howell. 

Also - isn’t he still rehabbing a torn ACL? That’s going to rob him of a year, essentially. Sure, he could be back in time for W1. However, we’ve seen where it takes a full year or so to get his legs completely under him and confident in his planting and throwing as well as his escapability and pocket mobility. Given the rise in competition that’s inherent to all rookies, expecting anything resembling a good bit of football from a rookie is a tall task, let alone a rookie coming back from a serious injury. This isn’t playing any other skill position where you can simplify concepts - QB will require a lot of mental reps along with actual reps to perform. Doing that on a bum wheel is rough.

Hooker has a very long ROI associated with him - he’s talented, but you’re really not getting a franchise QB until he’s in year 3 if you’re really optimistic on his acclimation to NFL speeds and injury recovery (and he’ll be 28-29 by then). He’s a lottery ticket - draft him and redshirt him for a year, then see if you can develop him behind the scenes; If it works, you just hit the lottery and you have a franchise guy on your hands for some time (not a typical length of time, mind you - that age really limits a window of opportunity).

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:17 PM, dll2000 said:

So TN plan should be cut other vet roster players and keep Tannehill in tow? 

He already struggled noticeably without Brown.   

Seems like a good year to try Willis.  If he stinks it is a built in tank.  If he starts playing good that is good too.

If you already don't believe in Willis trade up and try a different guy.  Or tank and do it next year.

But I don't see a good point in using Tannehill as your QB in 2023 unless he agrees to less money.  Then I could see it.

Biggest cap saving moves aside from Tannehill are Lewan, Dupree and Woods and replace them with cheaper options.  

I don't know how Lewan played in 2022, but if he played well and you need a new cheap LT that will not make team better.   There are no good LTs on market that are cheap.  They are hard to find.

Woods was your best WR.   Any other FA WR as good costs as much or more.   Hooper is also a FA.  

Would Tannehill be better in 2023 than 2022 sans Lewan, Woods, Hooper and Dupree with rookie class and some journeyman vets?

Sounds like a good recipe to keep winning 7 - 9 games a year for foreseeable future.  Best case is he is as good and you get lucky in draft with some overlooked stud playmaking difference maker.

Choice doesn't seem hard to me.  But Vrabel has power now and probably doesn't want to tank.  We'll see.  

Well, I agree that the best strategy would be to start Willis and either sink and get a high pick, or swim and have your future QB.  But they don't want to tank, and they don't really add that much to the cap by cutting him anyway.  The choice they really have is Tannehill or Malik.  Anything else really isn't in the cards without it just being an awful move.

As for how Lewan played in 2022: he didn't.  Spent the whole season injured.  Woods was our most productive WR, but he was definitely not our best.  Treylon Burks is probably the WR1 going into next year, and Chig Okonkwo is the almost certainly gonna be the secondary option.  It's better depth beyond those two that's needed desperately.

I think they're a soft rebuild.  They can probably get enough money to re-sign their own FAs by cutting Lewan, Woods, Cunningham, Dupree, and a couple of depth guys, but it's close.  They may have enough money to sign like one significant free agent, but that's probably all.  The draft, luckily, is strong where their needs are, so they can come out of the draft with a retooled OL and a little more strength in the receiver/tight ends room.  Spend 11 on your LT, and 43 on a receiving weapon, and the third rounder on another OL, and you've got a much better offense around Tannehill already.

Is it the best plan ever?  No.  But it's certainly better than spending money and picks on some other QB that's not a big upgrade, like Carr or Rodgers.  Because then you can't even do the stuff I described in the paragraph above.  You go into the next season with that QB and an even worse supporting staff than you had to begin with just to bring in a different mediocre QB.  Or you spend like three firsts to move up to first overall and take CJ Stroud and hope you find all those things you need without first round picks for the next few years.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:16 PM, dll2000 said:

I find it very interesting that it has been reported that Washington is committed to Sam Howell for 2023.

Purdy and Malik Willis had a lot more game reps and even without injury I can't see either team blanket announcing they were committing to either in January.

Kind of surprised Rivera still has a job there.   My guess is if Snyder wasn't having his own problems he wouldn't be.

Howell was my QB1. I love him as a prospect & think he’s gonna be good. The fact that he slid down the draft boards like he did means people smarter than me disagree. Guess we will see, but Howell has all the traits. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Also - isn’t he still rehabbing a torn ACL?

Yup.  HenHook is off crutches and says he'll be running in March and ready for training camp...but we've heard that before.  He's spoken with the Lions and Titans.  And he's the best player in the draft.  Just ask him!

He won't go early and there's a good chance Tennessee takes a chance on him before Washington.  He does seem to make the most of opportunities.