Guess the starting 2023 QB for these

dll2000

1 minute ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Yup.  HenHook is off crutches and says he'll be running in March and ready for training camp...but we've heard that before.  He's spoken with the Lions and Titans.  And he's the best player in the draft.  Just ask him!

He won't go early and there's a good chance Tennessee takes a chance on him before Washington.  He does seem to make the most of opportunities.

I mean - I’m pulling for the guy - but he’s damaged and older goods. Odds are stacked against him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

Well, I agree that the best strategy would be to start Willis and either sink and get a high pick, or swim and have your future QB.  But they don't want to tank, and they don't really add that much to the cap by cutting him anyway.  The choice they really have is Tannehill or Malik.  Anything else really isn't in the cards without it just being an awful move.

As for how Lewan played in 2022: he didn't.  Spent the whole season injured.  Woods was our most productive WR, but he was definitely not our best.  Treylon Burks is probably the WR1 going into next year, and Chig Okonkwo is the almost certainly gonna be the secondary option.  It's better depth beyond those two that's needed desperately.

I think they're a soft rebuild.  They can probably get enough money to re-sign their own FAs by cutting Lewan, Woods, Cunningham, Dupree, and a couple of depth guys, but it's close.  They may have enough money to sign like one significant free agent, but that's probably all.  The draft, luckily, is strong where their needs are, so they can come out of the draft with a retooled OL and a little more strength in the receiver/tight ends room.  Spend 11 on your LT, and 43 on a receiving weapon, and the third rounder on another OL, and you've got a much better offense around Tannehill already.

Is it the best plan ever?  No.  But it's certainly better than spending money and picks on some other QB that's not a big upgrade, like Carr or Rodgers.  Because then you can't even do the stuff I described in the paragraph above.  You go into the next season with that QB and an even worse supporting staff than you had to begin with just to bring in a different mediocre QB.  Or you spend like three firsts to move up to first overall and take CJ Stroud and hope you find all those things you need without first round picks for the next few years.

I think a move for Carr or Rodgers for anyone is a mistake.  Rodgers is better of two as he had two great years recently, but totality of circumstances makes it a mistake. 

Carr just isn’t that good.  Not bad, but not good.   Someone will take both of them though.  

I think still a fairly decent chance Rodgers just retires.  I think he can be wooed though.  

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

I mean - I’m pulling for the guy - but he’s damaged and older goods. Odds are stacked against him.

Yeah.  I'm a Tennessee fan, so I am willing to do some mental gymnastics to justify the idea of a Vols QB on the Titans.  But I really do not want the Titans to draft Hooker, at least not where he's likely to get drafted.

Hooker is a good QB prospect, but he's fallen apart when things didn't go the way the Vols operate (Georgia).  We don't have a big sample size for how things look for him when the Vols offense wasn't clicking like it's supposed to and giving him the cushion it does.  That sample size is pretty much just Pittsburgh and Georgia.

Against Pittsburgh, the Vols offense hadn't really started clicking yet, but he still had both Cedric Tillman and Jalin Hyatt to throw to, and in the last few drives, he made some errors that allowed Pittsburgh to come tie it instead of getting the Vols to put the game away.  Now he did deliver in overtime, and quickly, to secure a win.  But it's definitely not his best game, and possibly the second worst of the season for him.

Then there's Georgia.  Hooker was straight up bad that game, and crowd noise played a big part in it, but if Hooker was really a prospect of the level of a CJ Stroud or a Bryce Young, we'd probably see him do more than what he did.

So, minus the offense, you have one game where he was good, not spectacular, and was able to come in clutch at the end, and another where he was just plain bad.  That's enough to knock him down a peg in my book.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah.  I'm a Tennessee fan, so I am willing to do some mental gymnastics to justify the idea of a Vols QB on the Titans.  But I really do not want the Titans to draft Hooker, at least not where he's likely to get drafted.

Hooker is a good QB prospect, but he's fallen apart when things didn't go the way the Vols operate (Georgia).  We don't have a big sample size for how things look for him when the Vols offense wasn't clicking like it's supposed to and giving him the cushion it does.  That sample size is pretty much just Pittsburgh and Georgia.

Against Pittsburgh, the Vols offense hadn't really started clicking yet, but he still had both Cedric Tillman and Jalin Hyatt to throw to, and in the last few drives, he made some errors that allowed Pittsburgh to come tie it instead of getting the Vols to put the game away.  Now he did deliver in overtime, and quickly, to secure a win.  But it's definitely not his best game, and possibly the second worst of the season for him.

Then there's Georgia.  Hooker was straight up bad that game, and crowd noise played a big part in it, but if Hooker was really a prospect of the level of a CJ Stroud or a Bryce Young, we'd probably see him do more than what he did.

So, minus the offense, you have one game where he was good, not spectacular, and was able to come in clutch at the end, and another where he was just plain bad.  That's enough to knock him down a peg in my book.

He also had some weird instances as a Hokie. Like, he had major issues playing in the cold and I think there was a game when he had a panic attack. Justin Fuente really didn't like him.