Downing to be fired by season's end?

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Todd Grantham for DC is my guess. JDR's first choice in 2015.

Dirk Koeter (assuming he's let go in Tampa) at OC. Wild card.... Mike McCoy

Just speculating on what JDR would do.

I wouldn't be too pumped about Grantham...Pagano could be a better option seriously...or even Mike Smith...

Cory Undlin is an interesting name, someone mentioned as darkhorse DC candidate, but I guess Mark and Reggie will keep JDR away from another rookie coordinator hire.

Dirk Koetter is an obvious choice, so is Mike McCoy IMO. Could live with both of them.

However as of now my choice would be to fire JDR and get a brand new coaching staff. 
Mark should sit back, let Reggie pick his own HC and see where they go in the next 3 years. This should be Reggie's call and this should be Reggie's final call.

I don't really have an ideal HC candidate right now...

On 27/11/2017 at 1:17 AM, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Here's a question for you. Realistically - 

This team is 1 game out of tied for first place in the division. And we all know this team is actually awful. It's really bad. What does it take to get Del Rio fired? Sitting at 5 wins, I do not see him fired at 7-8 wins. That's the bread and butter of a mediocre head coach that Del Rio is. And we knew that going in. If Del Rio gets us 8 wins, and is fired, I would say he did a job well done. We took an experienced mediocre head coach to take our dumpster fire of a franchise out of the graveyard. He has served his purpose. Now the team has talent and needs to be developed. 

Don't be Jacksonville of the Del Rio age. Don't be Cincy of the Lewis age. Take the next step. Coach purgatory is not where we want to be.

Whilst this team is not elite at this present time, to say the team is awful, really bad or talentless is grossly incorrect. This is basically a team that went 12-4 with a change over of special teams players and a few tweaks. Lynch I would say is a slight upgrade over Murray at RB, Cooks is a big upgrade at TE, Patterson adds another dimension, Newhouse for Howard/Watson is a sideways move, Vanderdoes for Ward is another sideways move, Edwards being back is an upgrade, Bowman is a slight upgrade to Riley but Smith and Nelson have fallen off significantly. Overall, I'd say purely talent wise we have more than last year.

The offence has stagnated and that isn't helped by Carr's injury and as he may be playing less than 100% but something is clearly amiss. The strength of schedule is not as hard as first thought with the Broncos, Chiefs falling away and the likes of the Giants and Cowboys struggling, we also faced a backup QB in Miami and I'd go so far as to say we only play 2 top teams this season in New England and Philly. The clear difference as far as I can see is that the coaching particularly on offence is failing us - the defence hasn't really seemed to change that much apart from the lack of timely big plays. I think JDR stays almost certainly unless he loses the locker room and the conundrum is do we stick with Downing and hope he improves? I think it was shown last year that JDR can lead us to the playoffs and desperately wants to succeed, however, the really telling part will be does he want to succeed enough to hire more experienced co-ordinators and actually give them free reign............. or can Mark and Reggie persuade him to?

38 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

It would require opening the checkbook but I have changed my mind (from Chucky)on the dream hire after doing some reading and internet research.

David Shaw from Stanford would be a big upgrade over JDR. I like the idea of bringing in Dennis Thurman to run the defense as well.

What’s with the love for David Shaw? He hasn’t elevated Stanford during his tenure with the exception of the time he had Luck. He hasn’t won a PAC 12 devoid of great coaches. It’s a lateral move to me. 

5 hours ago, Chali21 said:

What’s with the love for David Shaw? He hasn’t elevated Stanford during his tenure with the exception of the time he had Luck. He hasn’t won a PAC 12 devoid of great coaches. It’s a lateral move to me. 

Not sure what your metric is for elevating. He is 50-16(72-20 overall) with 3 first place rankings in the Pac10 West and 2 Rose bowl wins since Luck left in 2012. He is runs a versatile and creative offense that would fit us well IMO.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Not sure what your metric is for elevating. He is 50-16(72-20 overall) with 3 first place rankings in the Pac10 West and 2 Rose bowl wins since Luck left in 2012. He is runs a versatile and creative offense that would fit us well IMO.

This.

14 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Who’s the up coming playcallers of the league? Eagles oc ?? Not sure... but I agree next coach should be 100 percent Reggie’s decision and will factor in Reggie’s own job security 

Frank Reich? Funny how things work. He was blasted frequently for a poor offense in San Diego this time last year and now look! Definition of what have you done for me lately.

Mike McCoy would be my guy for offensive coordinator. Norv Turner would also be a great fit for Carr's skillset and our line can pass block for a vertical offense as well. If we want to start "fresh", give me Matt Patricia. He's a very smart guy and deserves to be a head coach in this league...

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mike McCoy would be my guy for offensive coordinator. Norv Turner would also be a great fit for Carr's skillset and our line can pass block for a vertical offense as well. If we want to start "fresh", give me Matt Patricia. He's a very smart guy and deserves to be a head coach in this league...

I  like McCoy as an OC but I'm sick of the AFCW incest.  Also, I don't trust a Patriot.  Coaches and players usually aren't nearly as good elsewhere as they are in NE.

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I  like McCoy as an OC but I'm sick of the AFCW incest.  Also, I don't trust a Patriot.  Coaches and players usually aren't nearly as good elsewhere as they are in NE.

Patricia isn't working with a boatload of talent on that defense, but they're smart and schemed well. I think he could be a hell of a head coach.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Patricia isn't working with a boatload of talent on that defense, but they're smart and schemed well. I think he could be a hell of a head coach.

BB is a defensive mind. Don't forget that.

Who was the latest coordinator who became successfull HC from that BB coaching tree? Who was the latest DC under BB who got a HC gig and became successfull?

Archived